Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone paint their own helmet?
Quote | Reply
Not looking for anything fancy, thinking about spray painting my white helmet flat black. Wondering if anyone else has ever don't this and how the helmet turned out
Quote Reply
Post deleted by johan2kona [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: johan2kona: Feb 11, 16 21:52
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did throw some paint on my helmet, no problem =)

Yet another slowtwitcher..
Last edited by: johan2kona: Feb 11, 16 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [johan2kona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, that is straight up awesome!

How do you keep the paint from chipping/cracking in transit and getting banged up in transition?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang! Sweet lid.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its clearcoated so have some protection, but I have note been all gentel in transition so have some marks on it after a few years of racing, new helmet now thinking aboat painting a new theme

Yet another slowtwitcher..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johan2kona wrote:
Its clearcoated so have some protection, but I have note been all gentel in transition so have some marks on it after a few years of racing, new helmet now thinking aboat painting a new theme

Nice work! You are a talented individual!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive painted many, many different things. Helmets among them. The trick with helmets, as previously posted, is more about the topcoat. A good thick clear coat protects the paint underneath from dings and scratches and even discoloring/bubbling from heat from the sun...
Anyway, the less shiny the topcoat, the less durable/easy to clean it is. A high gloss paint you can scrub and wash clean, then polish to a shine. A flat coat is harder to clean. Splashing flat paint with water can often leave streaks or stains, especially with the sun beating down on it. I've done many hot rods and we go with a satin finish. It's more durable and easier to work with and looks like flat anyway. If we went with a true flat, it's easier to just repaint it than to clean it. Pita.
But yes, it's totally possible. Sand it, prime it. Paint it. Seal it in flat. Enjoy! I've done many motorcycle helmets flat black with pinstriping. The Cycling helmets I've done have always been a bit more flashy! Go figure!
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have stated, to make it so that the paint stays and doesn't chip or anything, its more important to have a good layer of clearcoat. It will also make it stand out more and look more shiny.

Jeff Brown - Georgia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been meaning to paint my helmet to look like this, bike black and white to look like this, and this on the back of the jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I've been meaning to paint my helmet to look like
this, bike black and white to look like this, and this on the back of the jersey.

http://elevengear.com/riding-gear/saturn-v/

They used to have matching bibs too.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [JeffBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any worry that the paint will be less aero than what the manufacturer puts on the helmet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrashTalk, can you come out of retirement for this one?

AYHSMB

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of paint should be used? Can someone knowledgeable point to any brand or type?
Do you use spray paint or other methods?

Any product to be avoided because it e.g. contains solvents that compromise the integrity of the material that make up the helmet or the shell?
Last edited by: bozo3000: Feb 13, 16 3:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a matte black Poc cerebral late last season and couldn't stand how hot my head got in it. If you're painting a road helmet matte black that might be ok but I would suggest something shiny if it's an aero helmet.

So, my Poc is getting a custom paint job now and I can't wait to see how it turned out. I'll post pics when it's done.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [bozo3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many brands out there. Most would do the job well. The common brands wouldn't ruin the material of the helmet at all. The 2 main things to worry about are 1)a good topcoat. Ill use a poly topcoat (clear paint) on a lot of materials, however, on helmets (and motorcycles, bikes, cars, etc) I'll use a 2 part epoxy clearcoat. I'd recommend the rattle can versions. You can get it at any automotive store in gloss, semi gloss, satin, and sometimes flat. It's a spray paint can with a small tab on the bottom of the can. Break that tab, shake it, and you have a super strong, durable, weather resistant clear coat. THAT'S the way to go.
The other thing to consider is the base of the paint. If you start with oilbase, use oilbased paints from start to finish. Oil and water don't mix. So, I'd tape off any area you don't want painted. (And all of the inside to cover from any overspray) lightly sand the helmet. Spray a light coat or 2 of primer. Then a light coat or 2 or 3 of flat black, then one good coat of the epoxy clearcoat. (Doing more than one coat of clear gets tricky,) I'd suggest one good -not too thick - coat of the epoxy clear coat. Practice each step on a piece of wood or cardboard (or a similar material to your helmet) so you can see how thin/thick the paint goes on. There's probably some good YouTube videos our there.
Brand wise, you can mix and match, as long as it's all oil based. (I'd go with oil based for weather resistance)
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful, Thank you.
I think I will give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone paint their own helmet? [bozo3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.tool-net.co.uk/...oss-black-400ml.html

If i sand down my air attack and spray it with the product in the link, will that do the job? Or do i need an enamel on top?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by AforEffort [ In reply to ]