Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset
Quote | Reply
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product2_10052_10551_1189368_-1

I'm looking to replace my powertap pro+ on DT swiss which has been very solid!!
Any thoughts???
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [triblaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just received a set myself, haven't done the first ride yet, but initial "out of the box" impressions and details:

Been using Dura-Ace WH7800 wheelset, and been extremely happy with them (they've actually been run over by another cyclist as a "ramp" in the middle of a paceline crash, and only required minor truing to continue on.) So these have a lot to live up to.

Measured out of the box, they ship with rim tape, so compared to the DH (with Velox rim tape in place), I don't have the exact numbers in front of me (at work) but all told, there was almost no difference between the sets (the PT came out slightly heavier not counting skewers, but adding back in the DA skewer weight difference(incredibly nice, but not the lightest, like a luxury car), I think the net full wheelset total was within 30 grams.
Also, they both weighed slightly less than "spec'd" on the website. YMMV

On the rims, they are substantially wider (24.5mm vs 20.8mm) externally than the DA, although inner edge width is identical (or as close as I can tell touching them to each other), actually had to fully let out the DA brakeset to have adequate clearance (that's not bad, just an observation, there was enough room to stay "clear" when open, but not a lot to spare). That is with sparkling new pads of course.

Hubs - well, they aren't DA-7800... but not much is. I will probably notice that more than anything, not nearly as "clean" on the freehub sound and lockup engagement quite a bit "looser". This may change with some riding and "wearing in" though, but you can't beat DA bearings with, well, not much of anything.

Build quality - they feel loose. I'm a BIG rider (240+ right now, and that's losing some weight). So this is a concern of mine, the spokes don't feel as solid, or well-tensioned as I would hope, but they are a simpler spoke pattern, again, comparing to DA here, but the individual tensions seem low, haven't gotten the spoke meter out yet.

DA-7800 10-spd cassette went right now without any fuss or bother using the included spacer. I still have to index it (just did the swap yesterday). Splines seem loose on tolerances (fair bit of play radially, ignoring the vertical height of the splines which is the 10-spd specific cassette), and they aren't "crisp" at the top edges, but are somewhat rounded over, which is again a concern being a big rider of potential digging the cassette into the body, time will tell.

Reynolds blue brake pads seem fine, at least spinning the wheel freely, the slightest touch decelerated dramatically, so they seem to work well together, only riding will tell for sure.

Brake surface did have a slight bit of resin "blobs" in a spot or two (likely where a mold seam was), very small, but enough to touch the brake in rotation. I imagine riding will quickly wear those away, or nothing a bit of emery cloth won't fix.

So those are just the first impressions, sorry they aren't more in-depth yet, I'll try to remember to come back and post more. For the price, they seem like a good deal, quality seems "good". I can tell already I'll miss the DA hub in back (and possibly front), the stiffness and freehub engagement and sound are incredible, these are definitely muted and tame by comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [ChrisTexan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you liking the wheels? I'm looking into a set of the 35s but there are hardly any reviews.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [Fish1923] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly only had a few short rides so far due to holidays and terrible weather lately, but the wheels have been fine so far. Wish I could give a better update (I really do, since I wish I had ANY real riding mileage lately), but no issues so far! I don't regret them but it was a great price too. If/when I get more mileage and/or any issues, I'll update.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [ChrisTexan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any further update on your impressions of this wheelset?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving an old thread...there's surprisingly little out there about this wheelset, interested in experiences with it if anyone has them.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sell a lot of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious to hear your take on them, including how aero you think they are (I have the impression aero shapes have advanced a lot just over the past few years).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of the 35mm Amps on my S5. Love them for everything. Best I can tell they are Reynolds wheels and the PowerTap just plain old works. Great all around wheels, wide enough to make 23mm tires about 25mm wide (can be an issue on my S5), and bomb proof enough to survive me riding them.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [Laatste Ronde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you've got 35mm front and back? Any sense of how aero the wheel profile is compared to others?

If I go with these, one thing I'd also have to decide is whether to do the different 35 front and 50 rear or match the front to the rear (with either the 35s or 50s). I ride in a coastal area with a lot of crosswinds, and this is for a do-it-all training (and racing) wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deeper is generally faster.

50mm is easy to handle until the wind gusts get around 40mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do run the 35's front and back. I'm a big guy. I weigh about 175lbs. So, crosswinds are not a big deal for me. And I don't fancy myself a climber.

I have HED Jet C2 6 and 9's. And a couple of discs laying around.

I ride these all the time and even race crits with them. I really like them. Super solid wheels, power tap, and aero.

Am I giving away a few watts? Probably. But I only race bikes now. If I did a TT, I'd probably run a Jet 9 and disc (like I did for tris).

But, I have nothing bad to say about these wheels nor the power tap. Both do more than I need them to.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Deeper is generally faster.

50mm is easy to handle until the wind gusts get around 40mph.

I understand that all things equal, deeper is generally faster. I also understand that shape matters a lot, which is why, for example, the new Flo 45 apparently tests faster than the first-generation Flo 90.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [Laatste Ronde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laatste Ronde wrote:
I do run the 35's front and back. I'm a big guy. I weigh about 175lbs. So, crosswinds are not a big deal for me. And I don't fancy myself a climber.

I have HED Jet C2 6 and 9's. And a couple of discs laying around.

I ride these all the time and even race crits with them. I really like them. Super solid wheels, power tap, and aero.

Am I giving away a few watts? Probably. But I only race bikes now. If I did a TT, I'd probably run a Jet 9 and disc (like I did for tris).

But, I have nothing bad to say about these wheels nor the power tap. Both do more than I need them to.

Appreciate the feedback!

Big guy or not, I imagine riding 35s that crosswinds would be a non-issue regardless (I like how in our world 175 lbs is a big guy).

The HED Jet 6s are available at pretty reasonable prices, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 50mm and 35mm rims used in the Powertap wheels are a simple U shape.

I would consider the 35mm rim a road rim. If you want aero, go with the 50mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
The 50mm and 35mm rims used in the Powertap wheels are a simple U shape.

I would consider the 35mm rim a road rim. If you want aero, go with the 50mm.

What I'm looking for is a compromise/jack-of-all-trades wheel. I have a Roubaix with a Redshift dual-position seatpost and aerobars, so it does double duty as a road and tri bike. I ride in a coastal area with significant crosswinds. I'm looking for one wheel for training and sporadic racing. OEM wheels are quite narrow, so I've been thinking of getting something a bit wider (and perhaps also more aero), and then recent Powertap hub sale motivated me to pursue this now, since a power meter is on the acquisition list, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree. If you are thinking aero too, the deeper would be better.

When I got mine, I just needed training wheels. I've just liked them so much that I've not seen the reason to swap to my deeper "race" wheels for Crit racing.

I find these wheels lacking in nothing for my needs. There are sexier wheels for sure. But, these just plain old work.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weigh 143 pounds and usually ride the 80mm deep rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any experience riding deeper wheels, so I don't have a sense of how they might be with the lively winds coming off the Pacific. I see a lot of high-end bikes but not a lot of aero wheels on the roads around here.

Reading a bit more, Reynolds seems to have doubled-down on a V-shaped profile even as the industry moved toward more of a U-shape. I was interested in your description of the AMP wheels as U-shaped, since Reynolds supposedly manufactures these for Powertap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reynolds does make the rims used in Powertap and many other wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority of the wheels that Reynolds sells ( Attack, Assault, and Strike) are U shaped.

The more expensive Aero line (46, 58, 72, and 90) are an extreme V shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size tires are you running on the AMP 35 wheels? The internal width is 17mm (external is 24.5), which is a somewhere in the middle, i.e. a bit wider than older school narrow wheels, not as wide as some stuff, e.g. Flo 30s have an internal width of 19.4.

I'd like to be able to run Conti GP 4000s in 23 and 25 if possible. Probably 23 in the front, 25 in the back. So I'm curious whether the AMP's internal width of 17mm would allow that without excessive mushrooming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Cervelo S5 does not allow too many 25's to fit. So, I'm running Clement LGG 23's.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense.

The popular Zipp Firestrike 404s have an internal width of 17.25, effectively identical to the AMP wheels, so that's certainly consistent with recent wheel trends. My impression is the Conti GP 4000 23 is probably the optimal size in that tire for a rim of that width (and it tends to run a little wider anyway), 25 is doable but probably a bit less aero of a shape.

My Roubaix has the clearance and local roads can be a bit rough, so having the option to run a 25 in the back is nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone own this wheelset? PowerTap GS AMP 35/50 Carbon Shimano Wheelset [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A long overdue update on the questions for follow-up, LOL. The wheels have been fine, my bike actually broke a couple of months back at the rear dropouts, so am working on a replacement frame. I only have a couple of hundred miles on the 35/50 set, but it has been overall solid, no issues. Again, at my #240 size, Texas-sized crosswinds on the wheels are certainly not a major issue.

I cannot honestly say how much they help in the aero front (DA7800s, although not "aero" compared to deep section, have a decent aero profile to start with), but I do feel they were helping some at least, before the bike broke. Hoping to pick up a new bike/frame this weekend, and will resume usage testing, but so far they've been fine (a little noisy, but fine, not like the dish wheels).

On my last ride on them before realizing the frame break (chain started jumping around), I'd set 3 PRs and a lot of 2nds on a route I've ridden quite a few times before on the old wheels, and I wasn't doing much training prior to that last ride, so I have to think they are helping.

I do have issues with a bit frequent PowerTap calibration pop-ups during the ride on my polar V800 watch, doesn't seem to cause any issues if I ignore it though. Not sure if that's watch, hub, battery, or combination, or just texas temp/pressure changes through the morning trigger it.

Has anyone tried to use these "tubeless"? I was actually looking for that question when this came bubbling back up.
Last edited by: ChrisTexan: Jul 6, 18 14:58
Quote Reply