Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist?
Quote | Reply
Greetings STers,

I am currently pursuing my MS in Exercise Physiology and have been planning to go the clinical route and end up in Cardiac/Pulmonary Rehab once i finish school in December. I was curious to find out if any others out there have gone down this career path and would like to know where you've ended up working with the same credentials that i am currently attaining. Because there are multiple job positions that a MS in Exercise Physiology can land you, i am simply curious of what other jobs have been landed by fellow STers with such a degree. I hope im not fishing in the dark here.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [kawessel2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the Exercise Phys part of a Wellness/Cardiac rehab program and ended up getting sent to nursing school. Our nurses had to take ACSM certifications. Hospital like licensed peoples because they can put them it a box as far as pay/benefits. I would look at PA school as well. That was a long time ago (like 25 years) and have been in ER and Surgery after I went to nursing school.

One of the big problems with the Ex Phys guys is there may be one or two of them at each hospital and there are 600-800 nurses. So it is kind of a narrow scope as far as finding a job and moving up the food chain. Working in cardiac rehab and wellness was the most fun I ever had as a job, but.... the 3 or 4 guys that followed me in my old job all ended up like me, an RN and moving out of the dept after a few years because they wanted to move up in the hospital food chain.

I really haven't looked into hospital based wellness/rehab programs too much, but with money getting tight and reimbursements going down they are often on the chopping blocks. It is really strange that off hospital reimbursements are sometimes way larger than hospital based ones. Keep your eyes open and good luck, could be a fun career.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BS in kinesiology, MS in exercise physiology, PhD kinesiology - obesity studies. I had ZERO interest in clinical or academia so after some time in college and professional strength and conditioning I went into public health. I'm the health director for a mid-sized (~350 employee) public organization.

One of my best friends has been a research exercise physiologist for the navy the last few years. He has an MS and is now applying for PhD programs. He wants to get into academia.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on what you want to do, Exercise physiology is very much a research based entity, unless you specialize into specific criteria. You could land a job in a cardiac/respiratory lab in a hospital and be a lab monkey to help out with studies of patients if you're into that. Or as people have mentioned, you can specialize after an M.S and get a degree in physical therapy, occupational therapy, or even PA/nursing.

I got my bachelors in nursing, and I'm going to have a masters degree in Public Health with an emphasis in physical activity. So half of my courses were public health/epidemiology related and half of them were exercise physiology related. I plan to pursue a PHD in Nursing and to focus on physical activity/wellness in nursing to conduct research and teach.

Public health is an amazing field to get into. If you're looking at making billions of dollars, you may want to steer clear, but the field of public health is ever growing, and if you choose to look at preventative health/exercise promotion it goes well with having an active lifestyle, and your bosses usually don't mind when you want to take a 45 minute break/hour break to go for a run. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for moving into Physical Therapy from a MS in Exercise Physiology, good luck. There are 10 candidates for every opening in Physical Therapy. Been there and tried it. It also stinks that in a hospital setting, that the RN's (with no personal or professional experience in the field) are calling the "shots" and are the only ones able to move up the ladder.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is very true. I work in a rehabilitation hospital where it's kind of the opposite. Nurses are important but the Physical Therapy department is definitely the one who calls almost all of the shots. There's room for advancement there, but in a regular hospital setting, nurses are the core.

Nursing is not a bad way to go. It allows you with a huge field to expand into, and allows you to specialize all the way from general medicine practice, to cardio/ortho/ped's to emergency medicine. If you want to get the traditional 8-5 jobs, there are lots of areas of emphasis you can go from there, including case management, hospital management, compliance, infectious control, and so fourth. Plus the opportunity to learn new skills is ever expanding, and usually paid by the business you work for... And I'll tell you right now, free education is free money in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
As for moving into Physical Therapy from a MS in Exercise Physiology, good luck. There are 10 candidates for every opening in Physical Therapy. Been there and tried it. It also stinks that in a hospital setting, that the RN's (with no personal or professional experience in the field) are calling the "shots" and are the only ones able to move up the ladder.

Not sure if you are talking about job prospects for PT school grads or competition for PT school itself. I have done a lot of work with the PT department at TWU in Houston, the head of the department and another member of the faculty are very close colleagues who I've worked with on several projects. The huge majority of their students are recent BS kinesiology/exercise phys graduates. My wife's cousin also just started her DPT at UNLV and she isn't exactly a great student. Getting into PT school isn't all that competitive, jobs may be a different story (I have no clue).
Last edited by: stop2think: Apr 15, 14 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting into PT school isn't all that competitive---------

Not true in Pa. At least 10 applications per opening in school. Graduate degree in Exercise Science and work experience doesn't mean too much to the Physical Therapy schools. In this area, your up-to-date knowledge and awareness of simple errors (220-age formula isn't accurate) are not acknowledged or appreciated. Don't get me started with most of the RN field and I have worked in the Governmental Health Care Section for three decades!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BS exercise science.
First job out of college was from my internship working at a PT clinic that had a huge industrial work hardening program.
Next job was out at a hospital initially doing outpatient cardiac rehab, followed by getting my ACLS, somehow ending up on the code team and starting to do inpatient cardiac rehab. Helped to design a jt arthroplasty water rehab program with a RN, designed a stroke rehab program, a back rehab program, somehow convinced my boss that I could open a gift shop in our area of the hospital carrying items specific to the needs of our in & outpatients, did that and it was profitable from the first quarter. Also convinced her that since we had all this cardiac rehab equipment that there was no reason why we couldn't do some sort of employee personal training classes at lunch & after rehab finished for the day. That too was profitable.

The rest of the exercise physiologists were content working in cardiac rehab but I was bored, hence branching out.

I also befriended The General Counsel who sat on the BOD and was part of the executive team making decisions when he hurt himself playing tennis. I was able to get him back on the courts. If I had an idea, good or bad, I ran it past him first then my boss. If she shot me down, he'd mention some great idea I had and her decision usually got reversed. I suspect some, maybe a lot, of what I was able to do was because he was able to nudge department heads into certain directions on my behalf.

During this time I started coaching (1997). I was still bored at the hospital and when it downsized outpt cardiac rehab got downsized. I started selling ads for a sports magazine. After 9 months selling ads I went into pharma sales. 11.75 years later I left to coach full time.

You should ping Mike Prevost on here. He's has a kick ass job using his degree with the Navy.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 15, 14 21:41
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also have a BS in Exercise Science and MS in Exercise Physiology. Started in cardiac rehab and got bored with that very quickly. Branched into pseudo physical therapy skills and really liked what I was doing. Eventually ended up back in school for a Physical Therapy degree. Lots of opportunities for Exercise Physiologists, but I didn't have the experience or credentials to break into those areas, as my school program was not geared towards those other areas. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [biker2035] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After 1000 posts, all Slowtwitchers are granted honorary Physiology degrees. I think Universtiy of Pheonix offers 3 credits for it too. You can apply for your diploma from the University of Sufferlandria... and you get 0.1% of your next video purchase.

From the outside looking in, based on those I've met, It seems like you can work your way into anything related to healthcare and sports medicine. I tend to think that relationship building (getting connections) and good interview skills probably are equally important as they are with general business type degrees, than compared to more specific technical degrees. You just have to sell you skills, knowledge and enthusiasm for the field.

I was very, very close to going into that field and probably overall would have enjoyed it more.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Getting into PT school isn't all that competitive---------

Not true in Pa. At least 10 applications per opening in school.

According to this, all the programs in PA have an acceptance rate of ~50% (in many cases higher), even Arcadia which is the top program in the region http://www.careeroverview.com/.../physical-therapist/. At TWU (the school I have a breadth of experience with) the acceptance rate is around 55% http://www.twu.edu/.../entry-level-dpt.asp. USC, which has had the #1 ranked PT school in the nation for almost a decade straight accepts ~10%, which (according to their statistics) is less than half of pretty much all other top-20 programs http://physical-therapy-schools.findthebest.com/...thern-California-USC. If those numbers scare you away good luck with graduate work in any field because comparatively it isn't that competitive (for example, my PhD program accepted 16% of applicants in my class). If you are a decent undergrad student and want to pursue PT, great chances you'll be accepted somewhere.

Not trying to start an argument, but the statistics clearly paint a different picture than your opinion. I wasn't interested in the PT route, but it can be a great field; one of the most financially successful people I know is a PT (although he now owns three massive practices and doesn't actually do any PT anymore).
Last edited by: stop2think: Apr 16, 14 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the same route for grad school and also picked up a CSCS and eventually a RCEP. N=1, but I think it was mostly a waste and would pick at least a half dozen other things if I were to do it again.

I wound up in the clinical setting taking nonstop orders from nurses (rarely leaving the computer) making 2-3x as much money with half the education and definitely less than half of the exercise knowledge. With rehab typically being a MWF gig, getting extra hours involved odd tasks, personal training at sporadic times and being there most weekends for special events. After nearly 2 years at $12/hr and no guaranteed 40 hrs/week working 5-6 days a week (with lots of unpaid gaps on many days), I left for a clerical job and don't miss it for a second. If it had been a 40hr/week gig that paid enough to pay more than the minimum on students loans AND move out of my parents' house it would have been a different story. If it weren't for training and coaching outside of there, I would not have made it through. The current job gives me more time for extra training and trolling ST forums.

I live in the Midwest, so hopefully my experience is not the norm for people going to school for many years to learn a lot about something they love. Some people do much better for themselves in more urban areas or geographical locations that value preventative and rehabilitative health.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Graduated 2009 here from a good school, Magna Cum Laude, good internship, etc etc.

I focused on Physiological Sciences for my degree. I realized during my internship that personal training was not the path for me, and most of the trainers there went to cardiac rehab (and then didn't like it and came back to personal training, reluctantly).

I got as much experience with the sales staff and dietitian during my internship, to allow me to see other things.

I ended up going into high-end Fitness equipment sales for 2-3 years, becoming a store manager for a 15 store regional chain. Made about 50k between both my base and commission.

I now work in Logistics, making around 40k with much better insurance and 401k, etc that's worth a few thousand a year. I also work Mon-Fri, 40 hours, and get vacation time. Much more conducive to training etc.

If I were to go back to school, I'd get my masters in dietetics. I would have options between clinical, athletic, etc, and make more than 98% of ex phys people. It seems like the highest paying "ex phys career" is to be great at social media and become affiliated with brand(s)/product(s). Much better than begging people to personal train with you (and getting $20/hour after the gym takes their cut).

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dangle, that is what I was sort of hinting at. Hospitals like to put people in pay grade slots and they like licensed staff. Med tech, RN, PT, Pharmacists, RT, they all are spokes in the wheel. We know what they get paid and who bosses whom. Then you throw in a Ex Phys guy and they get sort of chopped up in the cycle. There is a huge pecking order in hospital based programs. Don't get me started on how much time we spend checking screens and screens of boxes on the computer.

The state of medicine is now that from the MD down we are all data entry clerks. If you miss checking one box there is often hell to pay, because some RN gets paid the same as me for doing the work, just checking that we checked the boxes.. When they find one box that you missed, that is like a podium finish for them. They get to write you up, then you get to go see your boss, and maybe your bosses boss. Trying to figure what is wrong with you. Then the Hospital Inspectors come around every few years and check the checkers boxes and when they catch an error of a missed check mark, the checker gets placed in a different job or fired. It is no wonder our medical care is in such a state as it is. But I am old and getting grumpy.

Just sayin, licensed positions are usually the easy way to go. I became a nurse because I took a nitroglycerin pill out of a bottle, handed it to a patient , with a cardiologist standing right there telling me to give the patient a pill, the patient took it, and I documented it and the results. The Joint Commission read that on their next inspection and about had kittens. I was enrolled in Nursing school one week later. Great move for me. After a couple years experience we pretty much interviewed in every cool town we could think of and ended up moving to Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Just sayin, licensed positions are usually the easy way to go..

Couldn't agree more!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Everyone. I feel like i got some useful information from those who have replied with their experiences thus far. I have had an open mind with obtaining this degree as i am very open to landing a position in all of the discussed settings. One of the deciding factors of going back to school for my MS in Ex Phys was the variety of positions i could land. I like the idea of being able to work in different settings , and would not be upset if i end up working in a few of them throughout my career. I am only 26 years old, and have a fairly open mind to all positions i can apply for. Thanks everyone, it helps to have opinions from those who have been there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see I needed to hang an RN behind my name at your age, but waited another ten years before it happened. The problem with most out of clinical setting jobs are that you maybe should have gotten an MBA, cause after 10 years in the hands on setting, management calls. Do a good job and they want to make you the boss. Happened in every single job I have ever had. I just tell them no, but then you are in your terminal position. If you say yes, you are then a businessman without a business degree. I can't tell you how many Pharmacists and Physical Therapists I know that just supervise Techs that to all the hands on work. Some happy and some not as to why they choose to dofor a living, and what they do now as the manager.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a BS in Biology, MS and ScD in Exercise Physiology. I have done a lot in my career: university fitness center; federal government employee wellness center; teaching at the university, community college, and community health education levels; ran an exercise program on a locked inpatient mental health facility (!); typical for-profit health clubs; ran a hospital-based program that developed employee wellness programs for companies; and cardiac and pulmonary rehab programs. I am currently the Cardiac & Pulmonary Rehab Manager at a local hospital. Love, love, love my job. Love my staff (I have both EPs and RNs working with me). Love my patients. This is what I was meant to do; it is truly my passion. I am going nowhere until retire. I absolutely love working with patients who are scared shitless because they just had a heart attack or bypass surgery, because I can give them the gift of their former lifestyle back. Or a new lifestyle -- I ran a half-marathon with one of my patients. How cool is that? Some of my patients have been in our maintenance program for 10+ years -- I know them, I know their children and grandchildren, I know their hobbies, they root for me when I race. It is not boring at all -- we have a patient who has an LVAD device (look it up), and he is doing freaking awesome! Medicare just approved coverage for patients with heart failure, so we are researching high intensity interval training for this population - high intensity training for people with ejection fractions of 10-15%! Crazy awesome shit.

[getting off my soapbox now]

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if my situation is relevant to yours, perhaps it will be if you decide to pursue research at some point.

B.Sc. kinesiology, M.Sc. kinesiology (specializing in exercise physiology), Ph.D. chemical engineering, postdoc in biological engineering, now assistant professor in a Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Dept. teaching exercise prescription and running a research program in exercise physiology.

[I switched to engineering to learn mathematical modeling. Chemical engineering was a good choice because it is essentially applied physical chemistry, as is life.]

Now that I'm back in the field and teaching undergrads (and advising them on jobs), I can offer the following - first, I'm sure you know that you'll need extra certification beyond your M.Sc. to work as a exercise physiologist in a clinical setting - ACSM in USA or CSEP-CEP in Canada and possibly others depending on what disease population you seek to work with.

Second, your M.Sc. + professional certification(s) (plural if you decide to pursue others like a CSCS) will indeed position you well for many jobs in health and fitness industries. Strength and conditioning, sport coaching, personal training, health & wellness, disability management, active rehabilitation, etc. are all possible career routes in addition to the clinical ex phys route. Part- or full-time teaching at some community colleges or within professional certification courses are also possible destinations for a M.Sc.-trained exercise physiologist.

Note, however, that most of these jobs do not make for great long-term careers - you will almost inevitably end up transitioning into something else within 5-10 years, so keep that in mind once you settle into your first job.

Finally, consider entrepreneurship if you think the traditional career paths are less than ideal for your talent and ambitions.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there an Exercise Physiologist? [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome, good for you. It is indeed interesting how HIT has spread like wildfire even into the really sick clinical populations.
Quote Reply