Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone have success treating Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (a/k/a Trochanteric Bursitis)???
Quote | Reply
So it would seem that I have GTPS, at the head of the left femur. Turns out that's my long leg.

So, I "get" uneven leg length affecting the run. But the bike? It seems to be exacerbated most when doing high-power climbs on the MTB, not the road or tri bikes. Of course, I'll check the fit coordinates now.

But the question is: has anybody had any luck with this? Do you wear an insert/insole in your shorter leg's shoe? Does that help?

Thanks for any advice. It hurts :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have success treating Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (a/k/a Trochanteric Bursitis)??? [TallTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wound up with two cortisone shots - one to start the treatment & then one to get through the marathon (which I did, without pain, by the way...I felt invincible). BUT....it came back the next year & I didn't get shots. Once you've addressed any technique, or in your case leg length, discrepancies that are actually/most likely the cause of the issue, the only way for it to "heal" is to quit doing what is irritating it - which means true & genuine rest. Very simply, bursitis is little more than an inflammation/aggravated area that causes the bursa sac to fill with liquid, making everything impinge & hurt when you continue to aggravate it.

You must address the cause, but then you have to let the inflammation go away...or it won't actually go away, if that makes sense.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have success treating Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (a/k/a Trochanteric Bursitis)??? [TallTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had TB last year and took 4 weeks off (in retrospect I should have gotten the shot) and changed my bike fit. i always felt it on the bike - not the run until i was competely hobbled and literally could not walk. looking back i believe mine was a bike fit issue.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have success treating Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (a/k/a Trochanteric Bursitis)??? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@kathy:

It's interesting that you mention bike fit ... I did a little bit of googlage, and there's a lot of material out there re: seat height and GTPS/TB. Only problem is, they can't decide if it's because the seat is too high or too low.

In your specific case, do you recall exactly what changed in your fit?

thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ooh, this was a while ago. i can't exactly remember. i'm sorry. i'll see if my better half remembers.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had for almost a year now. Much better now than it was in the first few months. I've had a cortisone shot (did nothing) and lots of PTs. Going to take a month off starting next week to try and totally kick it to the curb. Cost me most of 2014 and don't want it to still be hanging around next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been the full circle with uneven leg lengths. I think everyone on ST probably has some disparity, heck a tight glute can throw it off. I have permanent sciatic nerve damage from ruptured discs. I was ~ 1 1/2 shorter on the right leg before going in for the 2nd operation and with proper stretching of my posterior chain, daily, it's down to maybe less than 1/2' off. I have had GTPS explained to me by PT's when I was so tight in the posterior chain I indeed thought I had hip issues. Turns out it was 100% muscle tightness in my case. Just something to ponder. Glutes, adductors, quads and hammies were a mess! The way it was exlplained to me was that I may indeed have had some bursitis, but the cause was due to my insane tightness in other areas pulling that GT out of position so much that was causing the issue. Hard to argue with the results as long as I keep the glutes and co. in check everything is great.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Oct 17, 14 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have success treating Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (a/k/a Trochanteric Bursitis)??? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my bursitis issue is muscle tightness as well. When I went for my cort shot I was told that I was really stiff in a lot of muscle areas. The shot really did not help me much. Is there a particular stretching routine that you use? I'm running a 13.2 in early Nov and then I really want to focus on getting a good base for next year and start doing a few tri's.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have success treating Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (a/k/a Trochanteric Bursitis)??? [gnat1001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gnat1001 wrote:
I think my bursitis issue is muscle tightness as well. When I went for my cort shot I was told that I was really stiff in a lot of muscle areas. The shot really did not help me much. Is there a particular stretching routine that you use? I'm running a 13.2 in early Nov and then I really want to focus on getting a good base for next year and start doing a few tri's.

Also the mention of the Bike fit applies to me as well. I first noticed that area being sore after I took my new bike out for about 19 miles. I think it's a little big for me so I might try to lower the seat and see if that helps. Anyone else know if bike fit might be a cause?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have success treating Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (a/k/a Trochanteric Bursitis)??? [gnat1001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gnat1001 wrote:

Rather than me use my horrible skills of description I will give you some broader yootoobes searches. All these general terms will have a lot of variations on them.

'Glute stretches'
'Piriformis stretches'
'posterior chain stretches'

Just do them all and you will know which ones work. I have on in particular that is my go to all purpose winner winner chicken dinner. Takes some experimentation, but once you find it you will be glad you put in the time.
Quote Reply