Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone had this surgery? Sesamoid Planing or Scraping
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had a surgery where they scrape and/or shave down the sesamoid bone?
Did it work?
What was your recovery time?
How long doing zero or non-weight bearing?
How long before you could ride a bike or lift weights?
Did you lose significant muscle mass on the side that had the surgery?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had this surgery? Sesamoid Planing or Scraping [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ist MTP joint.
It worked, as the pain is gone when walking or doing anything where I have to flex. They went in straight instead of using the arthroscope, so I was off my foot for a week and walking around, fairly normal, in 3. I did it in the winter, so I didn't have to worry about getting back to running quickly. You have to do a lot of very regular stretching after to regain flexibility in the joint.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had this surgery? Sesamoid Planing or Scraping [Oysterman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks- I am going to have it done in the next week or two.
Cycling is my primary sport so I am not so concerned about running.
Just don't want to be non-weight bearing so long that everything atrophies on that side.
On mine they will go in from side. They also plan to do some remodeling on the side on the metatarsal.
How long before you could do something like gym work?
How long before you could ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had this surgery? Sesamoid Planing or Scraping [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. I was inquiring how your surgery went? How did the doctor make the incision? Did he go in from the bottom?

My sesamoid bones are enlarged in both of my feet, because I was wearing a pair of skate shoes (skateboarders wear these shoes, but I don't ride a skate board) and the shoe was putting pressure on the top of my big toes, in just the right spot, to induce my sesamoid bones to enlarge in both feet (I think this was done maliciously) and I only the wore the shoes twice. Now, I have a really bad imbalance on the bottom of both my feet, but more so on the right and it is so crazy how this happened to me. I haven't found a sports surgeon to correct this problem and it changed the silhouette of both of my feet, not for the best. As a result, both of my big toes, but worse on the right, are veering in the wrong direction, causing my second toe to bend uncomfortably in an outward direction, in both feet. My big toes are not setting on the ground straight forward. My right big toe is veering to the right, causing the bone on the side of my big toe to push out and it hurts. I'm enduring the same thing on my other foot. This cold weather is making it worse. The joint bone on the baby toe of both of my feet, has new extra bone growth, because of this imbalance on the bottom of my feet, contributing to the change in the silhouette of my foot, along with how my big toes are veering off in the wrong direction. I bought the shoes at Payless and I have never had a problem with Payless shoes. It's really insane!

Are you back on your feet again? I use to do a lot of long-distance running and I never had a problem with sesamoiditis. I never heard of sesamoiditis, until this happened to me and I can't believe I developed this from a pair of shoes.

I have another question. Did anything change with your biochemistry, as a result of your injury? My entire stance changed and now the top of my hands are facing forward, when I stand comfortably, instead of at my side-the way they should be and my pelvis changed direction, too. My ankles use to be in straight alignment and now they roll inward. You won't believe this, but my hair changed texture, my eyes changed shape and my upper jaw was affected by my new stance. Your sesamoid bones should be the size of a kernel of corn, not a popped corn or hard marble.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had this surgery? Sesamoid Planing or Scraping [mpemt72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good and bad. I had my right foot operated on soon after this original post. Outcome was 100%.
A couple months later the same thing happened to myx left foot. I had surgery on the left foot June 2013- got painful again a couple months after that. I finally had surgery on it again about 5 weeks ago. Jury is still out on this one. My foot still is uncomfortable, I am hoping that it is because it is still healing.
I did not have any of the other physical issues that you mentioned.
I do have a high arch foot that does not hold the arch. My doc said this is the main cause of my problem. Because of this my ankles have always pointed in (as you mentioned).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news about your right foot! If the same surgeon did your left foot, you should have the same results on your left foot, eventually. I'm rooting for you!

Normally, a sesamoid injury is in one foot, not both feet-at the same time, like I have. For this reason, I think this is why I have the additional symptoms. Skateboarders suffer from this problem and a skateboarder from Canada (French-Canadian) had outward symptoms, as I mentioned in my initial reply, who I added to my facebook, because he sent me a request and could tell, looking at his online photos, he had the problem. It was obvious. His hair was sticking straight up on his head and you could see the whites of his eyes on the top of his iris, because you're walking around in trauma, when you have this condition. The whites of my eyes were showing on the top of my eyes and my hair also stood up, straight on my head, and the texture of my hair grew even curlier. It was insane!

Did your doctor go in at the bottom of your foot to correct your injury? How did the surgeon set your foot after the jury, in bandages and a surgical shoe or did he put you in a cast? I found two additional people who had this surgery and they had excellent results and both of their doctors went in at the bottom of their foot. I have had podiatry surgery before and my doctor, Dr. John P. Colson, in San Diego, California is a genius. I heard he was retired, though. So now, I can't contact him, when I trust him with my life.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone had this surgery? Sesamoid Planing or Scraping [mpemt72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On might foot the doc went in from the side, pried it open at the incision site to get at the sesamoid. He also removed an really enlarged and inflamed sensory nerve, a cyst, and a tissue mass (this was the foot that came back to 100%).
On left foot surgery #1- side approach, also removed a cyst. Did not heal to 100%.
Left foot surgery #2- side approach, also removed a tissue mass with a neuroma in it. Then cut what he called a "prolific scar" off the bottom of my foot. This was part scar, part callous and very deep. Basically left a big hole in bottom of my foot.
Each time my foot was bandaged and I used a soft surgical shoe. Back on feet quickly.
Each time doc said to use pain as my guide and that there is nothing that I would do that would compromise the work that was done.
If I were you I would contact your previous doctor for a recommendation? Sounds like you would trust his opinion?
Quote Reply