Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015?
Quote | Reply
This will be my first full IM and was wondering if anyone around here is also destined to Mont Tremblant next summer. Just wondering what your bike routes may be, where you swim, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not for 2015, but have done it twice. PM me and I can share some local info with you.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes! my husband and i have done it three times and are going back there for a fourth:) be glad to share any info you'd find helpful! you're gonna love it, it's awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race this year, but not signed up for next year. My cousin, who lives in the city is registered for 2015.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not IMMT, but Beach2Battleship in 2015.

Live on the South shore of Suffolk county if you want training area ideas.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I mainly ride the LIE service road with some of the north shore roads of the LIE. What do you guys do for your long distance rides? Any master swim classes around Suffolk (I am in Commack)? Did any of you join a tri team/club of train solo? I pretty much train solo, mostly swim in a pool with the occasional sunken medow swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also ride LIE, but did a few 9W to Bear Mtn rides to get in some hills. We had a suite in the Village(Tour des Voyageurs) with a balcony overlooking the finish line. Great venue for family, especially my wife with 3 small kids. Easy access to the hotel was essential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1,

If you live in LI and want to be a strong cyclist, show up at the Little Neck triangle every Saturday and Sunday for the 8:30 am ride. It might not be as long as you want (perhaps around 55 to 65 miles) but I promise you that you will be a much stronger cyclist after a few months of riding with them (assuming you can keep up). If they are too hard for you, then go with the 8:00 am group - to get that 30 minute headstart.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did IMMT last month and loved it. My long rides consisted of the North Shore hills from Port Jeff to points east.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it okay to use the tri bike on those rides or is the "preferred" bike a road bike? I heard about that group and I know I can't keep up, unless I get a big boost from drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of masters swim clubs in suffolk, though I'm not sure which are near Commack.

Stay off that damn service road! So much good riding is north of Commack. There are hills but if you're careful you can avoid the big ones and get plenty of steady time. Heckscher park is good for intervals. Pack your bike up and head out east to exit 66 or further, miles of uninterrupted road out there.

Triangle ride is a good workout but hilly and aggressive. Early birds out east is a little smaller but flatter and perhaps safer. You will get a bump from drafting. Tri bikes are usually not welcome, though I don't know if you would be outright shunned for riding one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a road bi,e when riding with the packs.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did IMMT last year, and I agree with everything that everyone on this forum has said about the race and the venue...fantastic. I live about 20 minutes east of you, and for my long rides I would get up early and drive out to Montauk and get my 100 mile rides in on those roads. Not the hills of some other areas, but I would get long periods of uninterrupted riding. I could get in 2-3 hours of riding with out stopping. I would start with a loop of the half ironman bike course then head west on 27 towards Amagansett, turn around before Amagansett head back to the point picking up the half course again on 27(Taking a little detour south around the town of Montauk to avoid the cars). Circle back and top off bottles and food and repeat as necessary. Mostly all roads have wide shoulders(E Lake Drive the exception). Wind at times can be an issue.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
So I mainly ride the LIE service road with some of the north shore roads of the LIE. What do you guys do for your long distance rides? Any master swim classes around Suffolk (I am in Commack)? Did any of you join a tri team/club of train solo? I pretty much train solo, mostly swim in a pool with the occasional sunken medow swim.

We live in Deer Park, so we swim at the NYSC during the winter, and at TOBAY in the summer evenings. There are 2 tri clubs that swim there - one on Monday night and one on Wednesday night. There is also a masters class at the Nassau Aquatic Center, SCCC Grant center, and the Bayshore YMCA (that I know of - there are probably lots more).

Biking requires some thought. We ride from our house to Heckscher State park (about 13 miles), then loops at the park (3.5 miles a loop), then home. That is about the only thing you can do safely in this area on a Tri-bike. The 13 mile ride to the park is mostly in neighborhoods and on Union Blvd, so you can ride aero in many areas safely (and of course in the park). The park is empty most of the time. For shorter rides we ride into the Dix Hills area and do hill repeats on Burr Lane and Bagatelle (road bike is required for this area). Done correctly you can turn a 20 mile loop into a puke fest in that area. For a brick you can drive to the park and park at the Timber Point Elementary School. Do your ride in the park, then come back to the car, stow the bike, and run back into the park. I know that 30 laps at 3.5 miles a lap sounds bad, but it isn't after a while, and its safe. That avoids the $12 parking fee during the summer. Right now you only pay on weekends, so it still works with school in session.

Long runs can be done in lots of places. There is the bridle trail in Belmont Lake State Park, the MUP on the Wantaugh that now goes all the way to TOBAY beach (17 miles round trip), and the Bethpage MUP that has been extended to Old Country (21 miles round trip from the Massapequa Train Station lot.

You also have the Huntington Bike club (the A and open groups are almost all triathletes) and the Massapequa bike club (again, lots of triathletes). Both encourage a road bike, but we allow tri bikes if we know you and you behave yourself and stay out of the pack.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you by any chance have a garmin connect account? Would love to get a link to one of those hampton rides you mentioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 2015. Most of my riding is on the trainer, but I do my long rides one the service road. I start at the Little Neck Triangle and depending on the distance for the day do varying turn around points. Some rides I'll set up aid station at car and do out and back loops to beginning of Suffolk and other days just one long loop out to Yaphank. I definitely agree with others about how the roads get better for riding the further east you get. This year I'm going to try to incorporate long rides out to Orient Point and Montauk and either have someone drive there to meet me or take the train back.

As far as riding with the triangle groups, I find that they definitely hammer which always results in a great workout, but for IM training there is too much variation in the effort for me (lots of stopping, cruising, hammering). Early on in the season this is something that I would enjoy a lot more, but once I start longer rides I find it better to go out with a friend on tri bikes and just cruise for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:

super newbie question but why does one need a road bike to ride with a pack?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [chiquipartner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chiquipartner wrote:
paxfobiscum wrote:

Because
1 - You should never ride on aero bars while in a pack
2 - If you are not on the aero bars you will be more aero and comfortable on a road bike
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
chiquipartner wrote:
paxfobiscum wrote:

Because
1 - You should never ride on aero bars while in a pack
2 - If you are not on the aero bars you will be more aero and comfortable on a road bike

ahh ok got it, thanks! doing BikeMS next weekend and only have my tri bike so i guess i will have to be a little uncomfortable for my first century. thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Long Island signed up for the IMMT Aug 2015? [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roadies and pack rides absolutely hate triathletes showing up for group rides. Not only the aerobar factor, but triathletes have a reputation, earned or otherwise, of not having the world's best bike handling skills.
Quote Reply