Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone ever match all three splits at a race with someone else?
Quote | Reply
I did a little sprint race on Sunday, and I and the second finisher in our wave had identical bike and run splits to the second. Our swim split was different enough so that we never saw each other (I was out of T1 before he was out of the water). In almost thirty years of triathlon, I've never had that happen.

More likely is that nobody else would care enough to notice.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever match all three splits at a race with someone else? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend I've trained with now and again, more like a acquaintance. We did a 10K swim a couple years back where you had to exit through surf and re-enter every 1.2 miles or so. We saw eachother on every exit, although our times were a little different.

But this year we both did a mini sprint here, same AG. Last year we exited the water about the same time and exited T2 about the same time. This year our swim and bike splits were exactly the same to the second (after which he promptly ran away from me). We exited T2 tied for 2d AG. I'd love to match the run split, but that would require me to run a minute per mile faster, or he slower....
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever match all three splits at a race with someone else? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the 2-fer like you just did: bike and run nearly identical, swim split was difference between 1st and 2nd.
(And it was a 5 minute difference - @ the Harriman "mini"/"Oly")
Chris Gebhardt is a fishie; I am not.

Given my "unique" skill set, it's highly unlikely I'll ever match up all 3 w somebody else.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nup, I got 2 out fo 3 at an Oly... pissed cos they did 4 secs faster overall.. due to, we disagreed, their position in transition :-)
It was uncanny though...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever match all three splits at a race with someone else? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a race and was#123 and my buddy was #456.

How bout them apples. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever match all three splits at a race with someone else? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IM cairns my race no was the reverse of the hotel room no.. 973 to 379... I took it as a good omen, and apart from the rain it was... :-)

mmm apples....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matched s & b, also b & r, but never all 3.. I swim faster than most runners, and run faster than most swimmers, without being actually fast at anything..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
I did a little sprint race on Sunday, and I and the second finisher in our wave had identical bike and run splits to the second. Our swim split was different enough so that we never saw each other (I was out of T1 before he was out of the water). In almost thirty years of triathlon, I've never had that happen.

More likely is that nobody else would care enough to notice.

Closest I've been is 1min slower on swim, 1 min faster on bike, same run time. He beat me by 15 seconds in transitions.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever match all three splits at a race with someone else? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came really close last weekend at Steelhead. Swim splits were identical, I gained 20 seconds in T1, then he biked 10 seconds faster (rode 45 miles together). Then I screwed the pooch in T2 gave up over 1 minute (got turned around and ran WAYYYY past my spot) and lost touch. Mentally was out, legs had no snap (B Race) and just went in salvage mode and cruised it in. He ran 3 minutes faster. I'm sure if I had a good T2, I come out 10-20 seconds ahead and we dual for 60-70 minutes before he finally pulls away (slightly stronger runner). In hindsight, I wish I had rode harder and put more time into him the last 4-5 miles, or even said piss on it and stayed with the AG leader, even if it meant meltdown on the run. You never know, he might have responded and crushed himself too. At it was he kept me at 10-20 seconds (within sight). Besides, it's a "B" race, you only live once. Why not gamble a little. You never know if you'll may actually have the fitness to touch it out on the run.

In June, same competitor, I can out 1 minute behind on the swim, rode 3' faster on the bike and we ran identical splits.

Finishing within 2 minutes of the same person, in 2 different 4+ hour races is pretty damn close racing. You're are or are almost within sight the whole time. We both have similar strengths and weakness, though he a little better runner gaining the upper hand when his "on form" and has TONS more experience. We faced each other again at IMWI. His 3rd time there i think, my 1st IM.

It's pretty cool because you feel like it forces you into a more pro-like tactical race and go by feel a little. You also get the sense that you have no choice but to go with them if you get passed on the bike. You just figure that if you are over biking... so are they... so screw it! You jsut trust that while you might run slower, you have enough fitness to still run the whole thing as long as you don't get too crazy on the bike.

Good thread. Those little AG battles out there are so much fun.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So much for the race not being lost on the swim...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are almost identical. We have started in different waves and have come within 5 seconds for a half IM and one year we did 3 halfs and I think we came within a minute at all three races. Unfortunately, we are no longer identical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've ever analyzed race results that closely

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy I trained with and I did a tri in 2003. Different waves so we never saw each other. I got him by 3 seconds on the bike, he got me by 3 seconds on the swim and the run. I gained 27 seconds combined in transitions so I won by 24 seconds.
259 27 5 Joseph Okuley, 36, Grove City, OH 10:23 1:43 37:52 1:06 25:19 1:16:23
42 30 4 XXXX XXX, 43, Dublin, OH 10:20 2:04 37:55 1:12 25:16 1:16:47

We also did a du with a mass start. I got off the bike first by around 30 seconds and he was gaining the whole way on the second run. The finish line pics confirm that I won, but the timing mat had him ahead as he stretched with the chip leg and I stretched with the other.
Results don't have the splits for that one, but
39 7 Joseph Okuley, 37, Grove City, OH 1:49:19
40 7 XXXX XXXX, 44, Lewis Center, OH 1:49:19

And yeah, the RD was a friend and I made him fix the results. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Aug 19, 14 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The same sprint tri 2012 and 2013 I had the same splits except swim was 2 seconds faster 2013....i am improving!,,
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever match all three splits at a race with someone else? [maqrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a race that I have done a half dozen times or so. I know the first time was a lot slower. I can find 4 results besides the 1st. They are all between 1:30:28 and 1:30:58.

The results span both before and after a couple year layoff. The run course has changed, but same distance.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually got out split by a guy in my AG in the swim, bike, and run and still beat him overall by seconds by being the "magician of transition"....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy who I beat by 3 minutes on the swim, our first transition was within 5 seconds of each other, and he beat me by 52 seconds on the bike. Our T2 and run split were the exact same (to the second). This was for an Olympic with a relatively large transition area, so that struck me as highly improbable.
Last edited by: LynchDeez: Aug 19, 14 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best I can offer is my first IM back in 2003, and the guy who finished immediately after me:

My swim - 1:12x
His swim - :56x

My bike - 5:53x
His bike - 6:10x

My run - 4:34:11
His Run - 4:34:19

Our final times were 2 seconds apart, and we have the same last name.

We don't know each other...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint once where I was 10th after the swim, 10th after the bike and 10th at the finish.

All different people passing and being passed...but I was in the same spot the whole way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost to a guy in a duathlon once where I had a faster 1st run split, a faster bike split, and a faster 2nd run split. He beat me by 15 seconds. I have never seen anyone put on shoes so fast!
It is the only time that picnicking in the transition area has cost me that I know of but I really need to get faster in the fourth discipline. In my defense I did tow he and 2 others through the bike leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same Sprint race and had the exact same time to the second from one year to the next. The following year I was 37 seconds faster than the previous two years. It was interesting to see how my bike split effected my run split as my swim was always within a few seconds.
Quote Reply