Prev Next
Anyone doing White Lake this year?
Quote | Reply
Any Intel on water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [FluxCapacitor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to do the half ironman until runners knee screwed everything up :(

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 27, 15 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm returning after an 11 year absence. I've been watching the temps there, hasn't been hot at all so I would expect the water temps to be ok even with the shallow lake.

I'm not sure what I am going to do if the forecast holds. 77 F with moderate humidity doesn't sound right for that course. How will I convince them to put an IV in each arm if it isn't 90+ and humid?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm heading down there for the first time but no clue about the water temperature, actually have been pretty distracted and haven't thought about the race much. Ignorance is bliss I hope!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think last year the temp was in the 60s, but I don't remember exactly. That was my first tri and I didn't pay much attention to the water temp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right around 70.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing White Lake with my son. It gives us the opportunity to get together as well as compete in triathlon. Should be great weather!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the sprint Sunday after 1.5 years away from racing due to injury. I'll be the plump guy in the Tricredibles uniform. It's gotta be wetsuit legal. It's been a chill week here in eastern NC. Good luck in your race. This event, all distances, have a special place in me belly after all these years.....

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calling for rain the next 3 days. I would be VERY surprised if it wasn't wetsuit legal. I just assume that is your concern......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing it and was wondering how "flat" the bike course is. And I think I've read that some of the roads can be kind of bumpy - true? Coming from Florida, so not sure if I'll be driving the bike course or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [eeclipse2k2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no need to drive the bike course. There are only 3 turns and it is absolutely pancake flat. I'll be doing my 5th White Lake Half on Saturday.

The first 37 miles are like a dream then the last 19 miles (Hwy 53) are the complete opposite. It'll make you wish you were dead.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so basically prepare for the last 19 miles of pure bumpy hell? haha awesome! heard good things about the race, so looking forward to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was something in the race email about the bike course being resurfaced, I thought maybe that would solve the issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, kicking off the season with the Olympic as a warm up for a mid summer half and late summer IM. Dunno about the lake temp, but the Y I swim at in Raleigh just opened up the unheated outdoor pool and it was 64 degrees yesterday morning. I'd be shocked if it's not wetsuit legal, especially with the predicted rain today/tomorrow. Email they sent yesterday said official temp will be posed by tonight at like 7:30 or something...

This will be my first time at White Like, so I cant speak for past years road conditions, but there was something in the race info about resurfacing the last stretch of the bike course. Hoping to put up a good time!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
There was something in the race email about the bike course being resurfaced, I thought maybe that would solve the issue?

About 1/3 of the bike course has been re-surfaced, maybe less (and it's the first third). It's faster than it was 2013 and before I think, but it's not Charleston flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eeclipse2k2 wrote:
so basically prepare for the last 19 miles of pure bumpy hell? haha awesome! heard good things about the race, so looking forward to it!

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be; I've never quite understood that. It's just a rhythmic bump. If you ride about 1-2' off the right white line (in the right "tire" track worn into the road) that's the smoothest place to be the last road back in to "town."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip! I am kind of spoiled with smooth roads all around here in Florida. But when I visit family in Ohio the road is filled with bumps, cracks and the crack sealer. So I am used to both, just good to know it's not ridiculously rough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People only really notice it because it's the last part of a half iron distance bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
biglazybum wrote:

About 1/3 of the bike course has been re-surfaced, maybe less (and it's the first third). It's faster than it was 2013 and before I think, but it's not Charleston flat.

Back in olden days of the early 00's there was a short out and back section off of 53 that sucked balls. I see that isn't there any more. That's a good thing.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Current water temp posted to event website: 68 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James, I figure you know the answer to this. I've been off radar for a bit and coming back to the racing scene just now. In the unlikely event WL swim is not wetsuit legal, has Setup Events adopted the WTC's swim skin rule that they must be 100% textile or are they still old school on this? Not that I'll matter out there but good to know at least. :)

Thanks,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha not that it would matter at all to them, but they haven't (as far as I know).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo, yo.....it's all over! Great weather, water loved us, and I'm sure we each got a sampling of '50's furniture no matter where you stayed! How was your race?

I was surprised at how small this event has become. The Int'l had good attendance but the half and sprint seemed thin. Remember back in 2007 when you had to be on the computer Jan 2 or you were out? Still, a great race and venue. Planning on coming back in the fall.

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race, fantastic weather! Water was perfect wetsuit temp.

(Warning: front door brag) Finished 1st in male 25-29, 3rd overall for the International, and had the fastest bike split of the day! (which is all that really matters on ST anyways, right!?). Bike course was super flat, a bit of rough road, but not bad at all. I think the run course was nearly half a mile long, which is not a pleasant surprise at the end of a race, but oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing White Lake this year? [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tcorr44 wrote:
......I think the run course was nearly half a mile long, which is not a pleasant surprise at the end of a race, but oh well.

I did the Half, but I talked to many people who also expressed this concern. This is the first time that the International distance went into the neighborhood for the out and back. It seems that they put the turnaround out on the highway in the wrong spot.

Congrats on your result!!

Quote Reply

Prev Next