Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone custom paint there helmet
Quote | Reply
Let's see your custom paint job on your helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done a few in my garage:

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude...that's awesome. I'm thinking about doing my helmet.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jan 19, 17 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice to see you have other talents besides jokes :)

whats up with the octupus?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that's Cthulhu.

https://www.google.com/...;biw=375&bih=559

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cthulhu, Destroyer of legs.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Pretty sure that's Cthulhu.

https://www.google.com/...;biw=375&bih=559

Thx! Glad I asked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here was mine,I came up with the rough concept of what I wanted then let the dude run with it.

too bad it tested out to be among the slowest aero helmets I could use. Donated it to El Groupo kids cycling team here in Tucson:

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to threadjack, but what was the difference between the fastest and slowest full aero helmets you tested?

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That Cthulhu lid rocks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC it was ~ 200gm of drag.

That was done on the velodrome then confirmed in the wind tunnel.

It's an awesome paint job though!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does anyone have a link on who paints helmets? Looking to get one done
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [Ironriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were a few threads in the past, you'll have to search.
The person who did mine owns a boat repair business an dabbled in painting helmets but doesn't do that anymore.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [Ironriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might have better luck searching the web for goalie mask painters. I would guess there is more of them, and they usually have have good websites with larger portfolios. They're also accustomed to trying to take peoples concepts and making them work on a helmet. I bet an aero bike helmet would be easier to do than a goalie mask.

I had a couple masks custom painted back when I played hockey, and the painters always did a good job.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dig the paint jobs and would love to see more of this. I was, however, wondering if there is any chance some nit-picky official could call foul on a perfectly good paint job. The rules on helmets say the helmets should be "undamaged and unaltered." An exacting interpretation would not allow for painting helmets, but I don't see any possible damage to their safety. Is there any clarification from USAT on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
THEIR!!!!!

Where helmet? There helmet!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:
natethomas wrote:
THEIR!!!!!

Who's helmet? They're helmet!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
hugoagogo wrote:
natethomas wrote:
THEIR!!!!!

Who's helmet? They're helmet!

Where castle? There castle!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:
I dig the paint jobs and would love to see more of this. I was, however, wondering if there is any chance some nit-picky official could call foul on a perfectly good paint job. The rules on helmets say the helmets should be "undamaged and unaltered." An exacting interpretation would not allow for painting helmets, but I don't see any possible damage to their safety. Is there any clarification from USAT on this?

Well we all put a race number sticker on our helmet and there is no issue. That along with the large number of pros who have painted lids would lead me to believe there is ample precedent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the red bull helmets going around- wouldn't mind a bit of bull on mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Desert Tortoise wrote:

Well we all put a race number sticker on our helmet and there is no issue. That along with the large number of pros who have painted lids would lead me to believe there is ample precedent.

The pros are doing this now, but it rarely happened before. It seems to be a recent development. I remember there were some questions about Crowie doing this in 2010 or 2011 or whenever he first started painting his with sponsors.

I want to be very clear that I don't think there should be any issue with it, but I do think there should be some clarification of the wording of the rule. The race numbers are not the same since they are required by other sections of the rules, while painting your helmet with sponsors or neato looking beasts of terror is not.

The painting of helmets has a much longer tradition in auto and motorcycle racing. I believe F1 drivers get to determine their helmet design and sponsors. Professional cyclists, however, do not. They get to pick their shoes, but helmets are considered team equipment. Triathlon doesn't have teams at the professional level, so I'm guessing this will develop along the lines of F1 as triathletes sell their helmet space.

Since age groupers ape their heroes but often need to do so on a budget, I'm figuring we'll be seeing more and more decals and attachments on helmets with little knowledge of what might or might not constitute a violation. I'm thinking we'll be needing some clarifications on the phrasing of Rule 5.9 soon enough.
Last edited by: Desert Tortoise: Jan 20, 17 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what sort of paint do you use? Is there some special paint? I painted the underside of my saddle that's on my road bike. Road bike has red highlights and I got a saddle on sale that had blue underneath and on edges. I just used red spray paint and it worked okay but a few spots have chipped off.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone custom paint there helmet [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use spray paint and clear coat, everything can be bought at your local Home Depot. I have some finishing experience so it is a little more in depth than that, but you can get decent results at home with off the shelf spraypaints.

Internet User
Quote Reply

Prev Next