Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close.
Quote | Reply
I was going to head on down this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode past a couple of weeks ago and saw a couple of women in wetsuits just getting out of the water.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [PappaD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The loons, Norman...the loons! Oh, wait you meant Walden Pond. I've only been there in the winter largely for historic, literary purposes...:)

http://www.anyclip.com/...-the-canoe/#!quotes/

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [tiptopshop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, saw two guys in there without wetsuits two days ago. Waded in myself. It's cold but should be fine with a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get your swimming in while you can.

While they are trying to build a new visitor's center, the war drums for banning OWS at Walden are being banged quite heavily
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Get your swimming in while you can.

While they are trying to build a new visitor's center, the war drums for banning OWS at Walden are being banged quite heavily

This morning there was a Park Ranger there before 6 letting groups of triathletes know that training was not allowed. Apparently there had been some complaints that large Crossfit groups had been using it.

I agree, seems like the writing may be on the wall for OWS - but how would they enforce it?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Helsinki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fines and or arrest.

Remember, Concord is the fascist town that banned bottled water.

Newton was trying to set up a $500 fine for swimming at Crystal Lake last year. Not sure where it passed, but that is what the Aldermen were recommending
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think its really cool that its possible to swim in such an historically significant pond? I've never been there, so for all I know, it is to ponds what Lake Michigan is to lakes, but I am envisioning a small body of water that is max 2 miles around. How big is it? Can you see Emerson's house from the water?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I track the shoreline closely, I get to 1.7 miles or so on my 910xt. Across the Pond and back at the farthest point is one mile total.

The Pond itself is sunk in somewhat of a "land bowl" making it impossible to see anything (aside from the main boathouse) man-made while swimming. That is what makes it so great; one truly gets connected with nature.

It will be a sad day if OWS is disallowed.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Helsinki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helsinki wrote:
This morning there was a Park Ranger there before 6 letting groups of triathletes know that training was not allowed. Apparently there had been some complaints that large Crossfit groups had been using it.

Overuse of Walden Pond has been a chronic problem for years. At least last year, the park service began opening the parking lot at like 5am in the summer to eliminate the three dozen or more cars illegally parked on the roadway. Walden is a really popular spot for OWS but over the past few years, multiple people (coaches, teams, workout groups) are flocking to Walden in the early mornings for sometimes large group workouts.

The only way to enforce a ban on OWS is to set a rule that you can only swim within the roped off areas rather than circumventing the pond outside of the roped off areas. It would be very easily enforceable, though certainly not popular. But it would mean if they want to enforce an OWS ban, they would need lifeguards there at 5am since they open the parking lot at 5am.

Walden is an amazing place to swim but the overuse is definitely an issue.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardly overused.

Most of the overuse are the waders and hikers who do far more to wear down the path and cause erosion than the triathletes who pretty much stick to the water.

Lastly, the risk of OWS drownings for most triathletes / swimmers is FAR less than that of the wader community. It may be counter-intuitive but almost every death I see every summer at "swim spots" are those who are more swimming / splashing than those training.

What makes Walden nice is the water is fairly clean (gets a little heavy with nitrates late July / early August), is close to a large number of people, fairly accessible (most similar bodies of water in Mass have no where near the parking), and most importantly, the only motor traffic are lifeguards/park staff.

I have stated it before, I am 10,000 times more likely to get killed by a teen, soccer mom, or hockey dad riding my bike through Concord center than I am swimming at Walden Pond.

Fact. Not opinion
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:

Fact. Not opinion

Felger? Is that you?

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. It is pithy and so true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This morning there was a Park Ranger there before 6 letting groups of triathletes know that training was not allowed.

That would be a shame since it is such a great spot for OW swimming.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the Ranger from the Parks Dept, the Emerson Family (who owned it) specifically allowed only bathing in the deed. He was displeased with groups going out together, but pointed out that individuals who were swimming across could be described as "bathing".

Not sure how much the town of Concord has to do with the enforcement of any Walden Pond rules? Is it Mass DPR?

And yes, what a beautiful and historic place to swim. I try to get out there 3 times per week in the summer, and it is a truly "otherworld" experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have problems this morning. Planning to swim there tomorrow morning. Appreciate the heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
Anyone have problems this morning. Planning to swim there tomorrow morning. Appreciate the heads up.

Went yesterday lunchtime, all was ok. Not sure there are many changed that they can make this summer. I'm sure 2014 we'll see some changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mass DCR handles the pond instead of the town, but I wouldn't be surprised if a local resident complained (after all, they did get bottled water banned...the horror!).

Probably the best swim experience I have ever had was one time at Walden where it was a warm day in late September and the leaves had already started to change. Water was chilly but it was definitely worth it.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues what so ever for me this morning. Gorgeous day at Walden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helsinki wrote:
According to the Ranger from the Parks Dept, the Emerson Family (who owned it) specifically allowed only bathing in the deed. He was displeased with groups going out together, but pointed out that individuals who were swimming across could be described as "bathing".

Not sure how much the town of Concord has to do with the enforcement of any Walden Pond rules? Is it Mass DPR?

And yes, what a beautiful and historic place to swim. I try to get out there 3 times per week in the summer, and it is a truly "otherworld" experience.

"it being the sole and exclusive purpose of . . . [the conveyances] to aid the
Commonwealth in preserving the Walden of Emerson and Thoreau, its shores and nearby woodlands for the
public who wish to enjoy the ond, the woods and nature, including bathing, boating, fishing and picnicking,"

Being the a$$ that I am, I will be sure to bring some shampoo or a bar of soap... there by my 1.2 mile OWS is actually an 1.2 mile bath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been going most weekday morning all of July, no problems yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bringing this up again...Anyone swimming out there yet? cant seem to find the water temp anywhere right now. First half is May 4, at Bassman. if its not to cold maybe take a dip.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you in New England for this winter? I'm guessing another 3 weeks before it is not a hypothermic experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody swim Walden Pond yet? Seems like we are getting close. [tricuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's cool you can swim walden. I was there Sunday before Boston and was thinking it would be perfect for an OWS..

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't swim in walden pond right now with a wetsuit and a snow suit on top of that. You been outside at all, it's like 40 out today. I personally wouldn't swim there until end of May.

Pond is ok, parking is rough at times, last year water levels where down big time, people gonna pee more in it.

Felger is horrible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next