Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anybody make a chainring like this?
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if a road type chainring (130 bcd 5 arm, 110 bcd 5 arm, or shimano 4-arm standard) is readily available in the usa that is fully capable of running as a single ring without a chainguide? I am looking for a ring in 50-54 teeth in diameter.

This would mean that the chainring would have higher than standard teeth or wide-narrow type teeth (these features help retain the chain without a chainguide). And the chainring must be able to engage a standard road, not track, chain.

Anyone make a chainring like this?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume this is a road situation?
Why do you need wide-narrow? Chain retention isn't going to be that big of an issue.

Venge Lunch-Race is the only bike I know of that comes stock with a single front. Its a 52 and specialized branded, but doesn't show on the dealer site.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jan 22, 15 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
I assume this is a road situation?

Correct.

xtrpickels wrote:
Why do you need wide-narrow? Chain retention isn't going to be that big of an issue.

Actually, it kind of is. If you're pedaling at speed, standard road rings will often drop a chain without a chainguide or without a FD when you fly over potholes, RR tracks, etc.

xtrpickels wrote:
Venge Lunch-Race is the only bike I know of that comes stock with a single front. Its a 52 and specialized branded, but doesn't show on the dealer site.

Interesting. But I am looking for just the chainring, not a whole bike. Any idea if someone makes a chainring like this, that one can buy aftermarket?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 22, 15 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wolftoothcycling makes a 50t in a 110bcd 5-bolt. Have a 44t on my commuter/cx bike and have only managed to drop a chain by crashing.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Falco is making a limited run of 54t 9000series type rings. prototype is on road now and they expect to deliver some in the next couple of weeks or so. I ordered one for my elsa RS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now your best bet is this one: http://www.blackspire.com/...t/83/5948/266572/0/0

There is no "narrow/wide" or longer tooth ring available in 130BCD bigger than 46T, although Falco have mentioned that they may be making one. The Blackspire ring doesn't have longer teeth, but it doesn't have any shortened teeth, either--and there are no ramps or pins. It does a pretty good job of holding the chain. I've used it for TT without a guard and it's almost never come off...almost... For road use, I think I'd still fashion a guard of some sort.

The one thing about which I'm curious is the impact on efficiency of the narrow/wide ring. I don't think I'd use one in racing until I spent some time with an SRM and a PT to test it out. I could see it being worse--or better, but either way I'd like to know first.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Falco is making a limited run of 54t 9000series type rings. prototype is on road now and they expect to deliver some in the next couple of weeks or so. I ordered one for my elsa RS

Got an info or ordering link?

--
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to find a PT to test that out when I get one, after I determine if it is more aero and by how much +/-

need both factors to see if any utility
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I believe these guys can make one to your specs:

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/..._chainring_2011.html

Plus: you can make it aero as hell, and light too
Cons: may not last real long

I sent a message to Nick from TriRig and he responded that he's been using his regularly for quite some time (I forget the distance he mentioned) with no signs of undue wear. IIRC it was a bike he rode daily.

Edit: I was surprised too... still don't trust CF for that application even though I'm in no position to have an opinion on the matter. Something in me just places more trust in aluminum/steel than composites (actually fatigue in Al makes me weary).
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Jan 22, 15 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff has it right. Wide narrow design. Shimano 4 arm compatibility.

Email Binny Tan @

Falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmawesome already posted it, but Wolf Tooth Components makes a 50T 110BCD. I have one sitting in my studio, ready to put on my tri bike.

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/collections/chainrings/products/110-bcd-cyclocross-chainrings

I tried to talk them into an aero version, but no go yet. I'd kind of like to get a 52T 110BCD aero ring.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roady wrote:
Right now your best bet is this one: http://www.blackspire.com/...t/83/5948/266572/0/0
The one thing about which I'm curious is the impact on efficiency of the narrow/wide ring. I don't think I'd use one in racing until I spent some time with an SRM and a PT to test it out. I could see it being worse--or better, but either way I'd like to know first.

I am curious about this, too. I understand a magazine is testing this, so we should know sometime soon.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 speed has really unlocked this as a plausible option.
Kinda neat.

11-32 or 11-28 cassette with a 48 to 52 chainring depending on the rider/courses

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm thinking - we're almost there, so I'm going bleeding edge. Starting with the current 10 speed 11-28, as I'm not doing anything too hilly this year. According to Wolf Tooth, road applications don't need a clutch derailleur, so that lets me take it one step at a time. I'm happy to just get rid of the FD and some cable flapping in the wind.

We'll see how much I'm cussing at it after race day. :)

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thing that could get ya in trouble is nasty head winds
or bumpy roads that toss the chain. NEVER STOP PEDALING! haha

Travis R wrote:
That's what I'm thinking - we're almost there, so I'm going bleeding edge. Starting with the current 10 speed 11-28, as I'm not doing anything too hilly this year. According to Wolf Tooth, road applications don't need a clutch derailleur, so that lets me take it one step at a time. I'm happy to just get rid of the FD and some cable flapping in the wind.

We'll see how much I'm cussing at it after race day. :)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just like the folks that do fixed gear TTing :)
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
just like the folks that do fixed gear TTing :)

But the fixed gear folks sometimes use track stuff or, if they don't, they don't have a loose chain (no RD/chain tensioner), so much harder for them to drop a chain.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was referring to the keep pedaling to assist in drop prevention.

Falco.....................
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody make a chainring like this? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

If I swing by the LBS this weekend I might inquire about that ring.. I really like the lunch-ride but not road bike shopping right now.

Very tempted to try single ring for PR, even locally I rarely leave the big ring. Just not if the bare derailleur mount is better or worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
According to Wolf Tooth, road applications don't need a clutch derailleur, so that lets me take it one step at a time.

:)

I've been using a Wolftooth ring on my 'cross bike for 2 seasons now without a clutch RD (10sp Wifli), and have not had one single chain drop. That's dozens of races and thousands of training miles (on and off road). So, I would say a clutch is not even necessary off road (it's just quieter).

jeffp wrote:
I was referring to the keep pedaling to assist in drop prevention.
Falco.....................

Ah, gotcha.

will send Falco an email, but do they have 130 bcd / five arm rings in the works?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

could test out on rollers, just like crr, if only I had an ant+ speed sensor and rollers that were not quite so, well, in really rough shape

how about testing on computrainer. I could work that in once I get one(ring) at a buddy's place. that would work for power loss difference due to ring, correct? repeated a few times by swapping out cranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
roady wrote:

I am curious about this, too. I understand a magazine is testing this, so we should know sometime soon.

Interesting. Do you know which magazine? And when results might be released?
Quote Reply

Prev Next