Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races?
Quote | Reply
Thanks for input...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
finger nails to scratch, then WD40

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I peel it off then use rubbing alcohol to get whats left behind

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a tip for removing them once they're on, but a good tip for the future is to put a piece of scotch tape rolled up on itself on the front of the helmet, and affix the sticker to the Scotch tape. The Scotch tape comes off effortlessly, and I haven't yet lost a sticker during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
I peel it off then use rubbing alcohol to get whats left behind
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a Rudy Wingspan TT, send it to me and I'll take care of it for you. If I can't get it off, I'll let you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOO BE GONE. Citrus based solvent that won't hurt plastic but will take any gunk off.

http://googone.com/Home.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
finger nails to scratch, then WD40

Just about any oil based solvent will work. I find a rag dipped in mineral turpentine (varsol) works great, and you don't get overspray like using WD 40 from a spray can.

The plastic is a lot more resilient than people give it credit for.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goo Gone. Bought a bottle 5 years ago....I end up using it about once a month on random things, and it removes sticker residue great.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Shoe Goo. It's the second stickiest substance known to man. I started using it on premature wear on running shoes (before I got orthotics) and now I use it for all sorts of stuff. I now consider it to be (semi) liquid version of duct tape! It's indespensible for around the house. It will stick just about anything to anything, still remaining somewhat flexible, and it's hard wearing. It does eat away Styrofoam however, and I think it's full of toluene which will kill you, but hey, it works great if you use it in a well ventilated space.

Duct tape, WD 40 and Shoe Goo can fix just about any problem you might have. If they can't, then it probably can't be fixed.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hair dryer if the sticker is still mostly in tact. Otherwise, Goo Gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some kind of non-acetone nail polish remover that my wife got but doesn't use because it doesn't work well for nails evidently. It is kinda oily and the lable would suggest it smells like cucumber but that is a lie. Then I wipe the oily stuff off with rubbing alcohol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't use fingernail polish remover. I tired that once and it started to take the white painted lines off my Rudy Wingspan. I repainted the top and put a giant Felt Sticker on it instead. now the helmet stickers go straight into the trash when I get my packet. we have enough r other markings on the bike and body that can be seen much easier than that little sticker anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eucalyptus oil if you can get it in the US is perfect for this. Nothing better.

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BEFORE you put the sticker on, put a piece of clear packing tape down so you can just peel that up and the sticker too.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had a problem removing sticker right after race. Like the next day. For a bike race I did last month that required light reflective stickers on our bikes, they recommended using electrical tape first, then reflective stickers. I had no problem removing stickers and tape from my bike or Zipp wheels.

TEAMFIREFIGHTER.com
STRIVE Omni Sport.com
Get Busy Living - or - Get Busy Dying
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apply generous amount of baby oil on the sticker and leave it overnight. You can easily peel it off the next morning.
Last edited by: ac1210: Jun 28, 15 21:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave most of the backing on the sticker, leaving only a bit of stickiness at the edges to affix to helmet and bike. They usually peel off leaving no residue. If they do, just rubbing it with my finger rolls the goo up into a ball that comes right off.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trick is not letting the glue settle. Don't put on the sticker until after you get out of the swim, and then as soon as you finish up the bike leg, take a few minutes to remove it.

Edit: Also if you're a procrastinator and prefer to not to do this during the race, peanut butter dissolves it. Put a generous helping of peanut butter on your helmet over the sticker and several inches on each side and let it sit over night. Surprisingly the extra chunky seems to work better than the creamy.
Last edited by: dzxc: Jun 29, 15 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
GOO BE GONE. Citrus based solvent that won't hurt plastic but will take any gunk off.

+6
Quote Reply
Re: Any tricks for removing helmet stickers from races? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I don't have a tip for removing them once they're on, but a good tip for the future is to put a piece of scotch tape rolled up on itself on the front of the helmet, and affix the sticker to the Scotch tape. The Scotch tape comes off effortlessly, and I haven't yet lost a sticker during a race.

This, but I use blue painter's tape (just removed my sticker from yesterday's race with zero hassle, and painter's tape is designed to peel off easily without taking whatever finish/sticker is underneath off with it). Stick the helmet sticker to a piece of painter's tape, trim the tape to size as needed and stick it to the helmet.
Quote Reply