Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any tips for racing in the rain?
Quote | Reply
I'm in Seattle/Tacoma area on business and I found a small triathlon to race this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like 100% chance of rain and since I'm from Texas, I have no experience with racing in the rain.

I've ridden through drizzle and ran in the rain, but I've never "raced". Any tips?

Change tires?
Reduce air pressure?
Put socks in ziploc bag?

Thanks,

CJ
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips for racing in the rain? [CJ_Dungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reduce air pressure- take zero chances in corners or on bridges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enjoy the swim and then pack up.

Such a Bad Runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take extra care on any metal and any paint on the road during the bike. That just means avoid it if possible and otherwise avoid speed and directional changes.
With good socks they will be fine if they get wet, but dry ones will go on faster.
If it's chilly put toe covers on your bike shoes and wait to put your socks on at T2.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What race? Know the bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Spare socks in T2
  • Hide your gear under your towel or something else to stop the rain from getting your equipment
  • Sunglasses = fog
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips for racing in the rain? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deuces Wild Triathlon at Lewis McChord Joint Base.

I'll see if I can preview the course.

Would anyone waste time putting on a rain jacket in T1?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything has to be smoother and slower - turns, accelerating, braking. Even if it is not raining, newly wet roads can be just as slick after the rain. Just be patient and use it as a learning experience so that when it happens in a bigger race you are prepared. Have fun.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IMC, I stashed my rain jacket in a small frame bag. I was hoping to get by with vest and arm warmers to avoid the non-aero flapping of the jacket, but after 15 minutes of riding I had to stop and put it on. Being wet is one thing, but being wet with wind chill from riding the bike really really sucks. I wish I had just put my rain jacket on in T1, then my insulating layer wouldn't have been soaked and I might have avoided the bitter wet wind chill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No personal experience on the course. The roads I've ridden on the base tend to be in great shape. As said above watch out for paint, crosswalks, etc. Don't bother with the jacket for sprint/Olympic. Still ~65 degrees and you should be working hard enough to stay warm.

I tend to just fold my towel over my running shoes if I remember, if not no big deal, they get wet anyways pretty quickly. Don't use a visor on your helmet. Probably go without sunglasses too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reduce air pressure, watch paint as already mentioned, and I'd go without socks, as you'll end up with blisters perhaps, and the sloshing isn't fun in heavy shoes. Use clear lenses, and use some rain x on the lenses (try them on a small spot first to make sure your lenses will take it.). You'll get a feel for where that edge is on the bike, so stay there. Runs in decent temp rains are actually quite nice and usually fast. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I know this much about racing in the rain. I know it is about balance. It is about anticipation and patience. I know all of the driving skills that are necessary for one to be successful in the rain. But racing in the rain is also about the mind! It is about owning one's body. About believing that the track is an extension of the car, and the rain is an extension of the track, and the sky is an extension of the rain. It is about believing that you are not you; you are everything. And everything is you. Racers are often called selfish and egotistical. I myself have called drivers selfish; I was wrong. To be a champion, you must have no ego at all. You must not exist as a separate entity. You must give yourself over to the race. You are nothing if not for your team, your car, your shoes, your tires. Do not mistake confidence and self-awareness for egotism."

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have had a really dry summer, this is the first good rain in a while.

Not only are the roads going to be slick but people are out of practice of riding in wet conditions.

Luckily, while it will be wet, it won't be super cold.

On the bike, avoid any rivulets of water, standing water, and paint on the road... relax your neck and upper body as much as possible. If possible stay out of the center of the lane (if a car is going to drip oil, it will be there).

Plan not only where you want to go... but also your emergency course correction if the person in front of you does something stupid.

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember to bring spare dry clothes for after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rear flashing light. Your visibility is incredibly poor without it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave a set of clothes in the car. Bring a dry towel, leave that in the car. Drop your tire pressure a lot, like maybe down to 90 depending how heavy you are and how confident of a bike handler you are. Coast sooner into corners so you have to use the brakes less. Personally, I've never found RainX on clear lenses to work, so I just go without glasses altogether.
And I have no idea about socks. Your feet are gonna get torn up regardless probably. Wet socks aren't fun.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips for racing in the rain? [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely rain jacket or windbreaker. Prepare for everything to get soaked, chamois towel can be rung out.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips for racing in the rain? [BlackFox5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prepare to be miserable waiting for the race to start. Once it gets underway, you barely notice the rain. Wear what you would normally wear as long as it's not a super long race. On the bike, steer OR brake, don't try to do both.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips for racing in the rain? [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granpa Chook wrote:
"I know this much about racing in the rain. I know it is about balance. It is about anticipation and patience. I know all of the driving skills that are necessary for one to be successful in the rain. But racing in the rain is also about the mind! It is about owning one's body. About believing that the track is an extension of the car, and the rain is an extension of the track, and the sky is an extension of the rain. It is about believing that you are not you; you are everything. And everything is you. Racers are often called selfish and egotistical. I myself have called drivers selfish; I was wrong. To be a champion, you must have no ego at all. You must not exist as a separate entity. You must give yourself over to the race. You are nothing if not for your team, your car, your shoes, your tires. Do not mistake confidence and self-awareness for egotism."

I was with you right through the "I know this much about racing in the rain".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Embrace the Suck

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This question comes up all the time. Other than a few minor common sense things, you really don't need to change much when it's raining. Trying to keep anything dry is pointless. You can wrap all your transition stuff in bags, but what's the point? It's going to get wet 2 minutes out of transition anyway. Accept that you're going to be wet and don't dive into any corners on the bike. A little less tire pressure won't hurt but normal pressure is fine too?

I think the one thing that is really important that rarely gets mentioned, be diligent about your grip on the handlebars. I've seen crashes in road races multiple times caused by someone's hands slipping off the bars in the wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Any tips for racing in the rain? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.

Turns out I didn't need it. The rain was the least of my concern. Strong winds blew leaves and limbs (as well as riders) all over the place. A few strong gusts brought down two massive trees at the transition area. They called the race off after that as EMS & Firefighters had to clear the trees to find some spectators caught beneath. They were taken to the hospital, but I have no idea how they're doing or what they injured. I hope they recover quickly and I hope all the competitors made it home in one piece.
Quote Reply