Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any pros carrying spares on bike
Quote | Reply
Looking at the pictures Kona it seems most of the pros aren't carrying any spare tubes or tubs unless I'm missing something. Is that right? I would have thought they would and usually carry at least a spare tub.
Quote Reply
Re: Any pros carrying spares on bike [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race best bike split had a spare tube: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...k_Twelsiek_5422.html
Quote Reply
Re: Any pros carrying spares on bike [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well spotted. I'd imagine most would as otherwise that's a risky strategy but most setups looked pretty bare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was thinking most pros there to win would assume if they flatted it means race over so who cares if it takes them 5 minutes to change a flat or if they have to wait 15-20 for assistance. Now if you are racing for a paycheck then changing that flat as fast as possible could mean $$$.
Quote Reply
Re: Any pros carrying spares on bike [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On GP4000s, no less.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Any pros carrying spares on bike [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few have come back from a puncture and won or podiumed in the past. Rare but has happened. Suppose average age grouper wouldn't take such risks. I was just surprised to see the bikes so bare and free from any spares
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One reason is that pros have some level of neutral bike support available...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMF wrote:
Looking at the pictures Kona it seems most of the pros aren't carrying any spare tubes or tubs unless I'm missing something. Is that right? I would have thought they would and usually carry at least a spare tub.

Some do, some don't. Really depends on what your goal is. I mainly carry a spare because I really don't want to be stranded somewhere, especially when it could get chilly just sitting around. Worse case scenario you wait for neutral support. Best case scenario is you flat and change it in 2 minutes. In the later, you have likely lost the group and that is where the race is so you are effectively out of it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind just looking at the pictures don't tell you the whole story. I remember seeing a pro flat and thinking, what an idiot for not carrying a spare, then he proceeded to get off a water bottle from a cage, and presto, complete spare kit. And i think a lot of them go that way, or some other place where you just cannot see it..

Maik's was pretty visible, you could even see he was riding clinchers. And to those that po po the idea because if they get a flat they are out of it, nonsense. A seasoned cyclists can change a sew up in about a minute, a clincher in under 2. Now go to the results page and see how many would have held their place, or just lost one by losing a minute or two, virtually everyone in the pro fields.
Quote Reply
Re: Any pros carrying spares on bike [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, most have prepared for and can recover from a flat. Its a long day, lots can happen.

As an aside, Daniella Ryf apparently rode the last two kms on a flat - or near flat. From the bike pics it looks like she was on Hed Jet clinchers too - usually only tubs will be viable if the tyre is completely flat.

Andy Ralaert punctured early and switched wheels via the SRAM N/S guys - who he thanked at the press conference. From the bike pic photos it seems Nils Frommhold also had to take a wheel.

It will be interesting to see the clincher/tub splits when Herbert does the gear analysis.
Quote Reply