Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any Other STers Doing Triple-T?
Quote | Reply
First time for me and trying to figure out exactly what I've gotten myself into!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post a race report...especially on the water temperature, and pacing across the weekend. This is definitely a bucket list race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in this year, third time.

Got the camper out of storage, bikes are tuned up, weather's getting warmer, I'm ready to go!

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9th time for me.

Water temp last weekend was mid to high 50's. With the temps in the 80's for the next week I expect race day water temps to be in the mid 60's or higher.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done in years, but have done 3 times.

My favorite race experience that I've ever done. You will love it!

Quote | Reply
same boat. First trip there for me, we'll see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5th time - but just Little Smokies for me this year - crazy thing is I'm in the best shape of all 5 yers - last years cold ruined me ;]

be careful this is a tough race - but a great weekend - we will have probably 30+ from cleveland tri club there

r

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I don't know how many years this makes.

The weekend is all about pacing, eating and resting.

It's very easy to go too hard on Sat and really suffer on Sun, if not Sat afternoon.

Even if the water is cold (and even the air) be sure to hydrate, it's a long weekend, and is almost always warm/hot on Sunday for the run.

When your are done racing, eat and drink as much as you can handle, and get as much rest as possible before the next race.

Don't crash. Every year at least one, and sometimes, many, people crash. (I crashed once)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for #6. After nearly freezing to death last year, I swore I was done, as in never again.

As soon as registration opened I signed up, again.

You'll see, it is an amazing experience!

(and yes, exactly what eferand said)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, mostly as a training weekend for Lake Placid.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree on all accounts (especially after the cold last year!) Back for #5 for me. Best race/training weekend there is! Can't wait (especially with the temps. warming a bit.) It's all about the pacing!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's all about the pace, the pace, the pace...

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what the water temp is, but the forecast is for high 70's.

Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correction. Now it looks like low to mid 80's. :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did this race a few years back. Pace, Pace, Pace! No need to go all out for the super sprint on Friday. Also, watch out for the Bike-Swim-Run. Trying to swim after biking puts a lot of people on the beach with serious cramps! Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [fijiman9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fijiman9 wrote:
Did this race a few years back. Pace, Pace, Pace! No need to go all out for the super sprint on Friday. Also, watch out for the Bike-Swim-Run. Trying to swim after biking puts a lot of people on the beach with serious cramps! Good luck.

Have heard about the cramping. How do you prevent it? Is this a nutrition issue or stretching?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I'm not quite sure. I was well hydrated for that race. I would imagine there being some benefit to take a minute or so to stretch out the legs after the bike leg. While it adds to your transition time, it would save you the trouble of thrashing in the water with major cramping. I consider myself a solid swimmer (my best of the three disciplines). I knew of the potential cramping issues and tried to lightly flutter my feet instead of carrying a large kick. It didn't matter. Even slightly kicking caused cramping. If I did it all over again, I'd spend the 1-2 minutes to stretch out the legs before jumping into the freezing water.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:

Don't crash. Every year at least one, and sometimes, many, people crash. (I crashed once)

So is there a common cause of all these crashes?
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
efernand wrote:

So is there a common cause of all these crashes?

Yes, not reading and following the SLOW DOWN written on the road prior the steep downhill turns. Triathletes on tri bikes with downhill curves are a bad combination ;-)

Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the course better suited to a road bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Is the course better suited to a road bike?

No - overall still better on a tri bike except for maybe the supersprint on Fri eve. I could climb/descend faster on a road bike for that, but 80% of the time, the TT bike would be "faster".

Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
First time for me and trying to figure out exactly what I've gotten myself into!

Congrats to all finishers of the 2015 edition of the American TTT! In the 7 years that I've been going down, we've had hot years and cold years....now we've had rain, lots and lots of rain! In all of my years, between the wet Saturday and the warm/sunny/humid Sunday, I'd say that was one of the tougher combinations for physically and mentally beating us down!

Congrats again to all!

(Patrick E, was it everything you had expected??!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI TRI wrote:
Patrick E wrote:

Congrats to all finishers of the 2015 edition of the American TTT! In the 7 years that I've been going down, we've had hot years and cold years....now we've had rain, lots and lots of rain! In all of my years, between the wet Saturday and the warm/sunny/humid Sunday, I'd say that was one of the tougher combinations for physically and mentally beating us down!

Congrats again to all!

(Patrick E, was it everything you had expected??!!)

Damn that was hard...
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But is it not the best training weekend!!! #5 and loved it! Better than the cold last year!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Other STers Doing Triple-T? [stillmoving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillmoving wrote:
But is it not the best training weekend!!! #5 and loved it! Better than the cold last year!

I would take what we had this year over the horror stories I heard about the cold last year in a heartbeat.

It was intended as a training weekend for IMLP, mission accomplished.
Quote Reply

Prev Next