Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any 2015 TT bikes with Disc brakes?
Quote | Reply
Just keep trying to collect options.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Any 2015 TT bikes with Disc brakes? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's the Culprit Legend. Don't know why you'd want disc brakes on a TT/Tri bike. Besides being slower you're also limiting your wheel choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Any 2015 TT bikes with Disc brakes? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to be different.

Just looking at options. Nothing can be slower than what I have been riding.

But you make the point. The bike and wheels will have to be setup for Discs, so just looking to see what options there are, at a reasonable price.

I think I overheated my brakes/wheels doing IMLT so one reason discs might be something I am willing to look at. And did I say I like to be different. :o)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes create more drag across the spectrum than rim brakes. This has been tested and confirmed by none other than Culprit.
If you overheated your rim brakes then you need to A) use better pads (Swissstop/Reynolds Cryo blue) and B) work on your technique. Keep in mind that you can overheat as well as glaze pads on disc brakes too (seen it happen quite few times), so if you just always drag your brakes then it won't really solve your problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But they look cool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Said no roadie ever...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Just keep trying to collect options.

Technically, they ALL have disc brakes...it's just that some newer ones have puny little "add-on" discs, while others have massive 622mm diameter ARID (Aero Rim Integrated Disc) brakes ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Disc brakes create more drag across the spectrum than rim brakes. This has been tested and confirmed by none other than Culprit.
If you overheated your rim brakes then you need to A) use better pads (Swissstop/Reynolds Cryo blue) and B) work on your technique. Keep in mind that you can overheat as well as glaze pads on disc brakes too (seen it happen quite few times), so if you just always drag your brakes then it won't really solve your problem.

Or, don't buy wheels with carbon braking surfaces :-/

Quote Reply
Re: Any 2015 TT bikes with Disc brakes? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Grill wrote:

So slow wheels... :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Said no roadie ever...

I think you might be surprised by how much of the "demand" for disc brakes on road bikes can be distilled down to..."But, they look cool". Everything else is really just rationalization...seriously.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 21, 14 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Grill wrote:

Nope. Aluminum rimmed deep wheels give up NO appreciable performance vs. all-carbon rims.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this

http://www.matrix-cycles.co.uk/.../Matrix-F18-804.html

Looks like the Culprit Legend, on top of not being on their website, is not UCI legal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Grill wrote:
Said no roadie ever...

I think you might be surprised by how much of the "demand" for disc brakes on road bikes can be distilled down to..."But, they look cool". Everything else is really just rationalization...seriously.

Di2 look cool also. :o)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Grill wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Grill wrote:

Nope. Aluminum rimmed deep wheels give up NO appreciable performance vs. all-carbon rims.

All the fastest wheels are full carbon, ergo alu wheels are slower. Find me something with an alu braking surface that's faster than my Autobahn and RZR 92 and I'll buy it right now.

You're all triathletes, what do you care about UCI regs? No serious tester would even pose the question due to the increased drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Grill wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Grill wrote:

All the fastest wheels are full carbon, ergo alu wheels are slower. Find me something with an alu braking surface that's faster than my Autobahn and RZR 92 and I'll buy it right now.

Show me the independent data that the RZR92 has less drag than either a Hed Jet 9 or Flo 90 (with Conti GP4000S on either).

The .pdf from Reynolds doesn't even state the tires used, nor if the 808 FC compared to was tubular or clincher (Zipp admits the clincher is actually faster than the tubular version).

As far as the disc goes...a disc is a disc is a disc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.reynoldscycling.com/...xecutive_Summary.pdf

Faster than the 808 which is faster than both the Jet and Flo. You don't need a degree in deductive reasoning to figure out the rest. This is Paul Lew we're talking about here.

I'll take my Record tubs over GP4000s clinchers any day. If you'd like to provide me with either of those wheels mentioned I'll happily give you numbers after my next aero test.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Facepalm. Never, EVER, trust manufacturer data. They ALL say there wheels are faster. Find an independent test. Otherwise, you just fell for the marketing. You claim to not need a degree in deductive reasoning....yet you need common sense to realize every manufactuer has sunk a lot of money into these wheels. Therefore, they NEED the data to tell their story otherwise they will never sell. Common sense for the win

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 21, 14 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Any 2015 TT bikes with Disc brakes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know how fast my RZR 46's were, so no reason this won't perform to my expectations. Independent tests confirm that Zipp's are fast as well as the advantage of lower spoke counts on front wheels. You can play the conspiracy card if you wish, but the test was done in a tunnel with a bike and rider (not just the wheel as so many others do). At that point it becomes science, not magic.

I know a couple people with the wheel. It's light, stiff and fast. Of course of you're happy playing the Flo order game, go for it. I ride what I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew you would get defensive. People that blow that much money on wheels have to be. Where is the test protocol? What tires were used? Same tires used on every wheel? Same rider? Same position? They won't tell you these things for a reason. It's not conspiracy, it's called facts.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ceepo Viper can be ordered with a front disc brake.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Any 2015 TT bikes with Disc brakes? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the original question.

It's a TT bike... why are you using your brakes so much? I've ridden IMWI, a course with more turns and fast descents with turns at the bottom than most courses, and I've ridden it easily in training with only a front brake with really, really crappy pads with Gatorskins.

So again, why? I can only assume they would have worse aerodynamics than a hidden brake or aero brake caliper.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I knew you would get defensive. People that blow that much money on wheels have to be. Where is the test protocol? What tires were used? Same tires used on every wheel? Same rider? Same position? They won't tell you these things for a reason. It's not conspiracy, it's called facts.

The test protocol is in the executive summery (did you even read it?). They would have used the same tubs on all the wheels tested (which was the 808, Sub 9 and Element), and of course they would have used the same ride/position/bike. The fact that they didn't highlight some of these things isn't really relevant as someone like Lew isn't going to fudge a test just to get results. It's not like it's a profitable wheelset, it's more an exercise in what's possible (like with the VT-1). What motivation could Lew possibly have to fudge a test to get the appropriate data? It makes absolutely no sense.

I'm hardly defensive (I don't have much vested in these wheels), I'm simply being reasonable in my expectation that the data isn't fallacious. But hey, I have an aero test coming up so if I can source an 808FC to test I will.

In regards to the H3, I have a trispoke that I use for long (100 mile+) or very windy TTs . It's a fantastic wheel, but on an out and back TT it's not faster than a deep-section (and that's pretty much any deep section).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

A few years back, Karbon Speed claimed their wheels could save you 4-11 minutes over 40k. They had some aero engineer named Pablo do their analysis so it must be true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I read it. I'm an engineer. I'm highly suspicious of any company and what they offer when it comes to anything. Data doesn't lie. However, properly tuned data does. What motivation could Lew have? Ummmm recouping the thousands upon thousands of dollars invested into making the wheels? Money drives everything. Don't assume companies are honest.

Quote Reply
Re: Any 2015 TT bikes with Disc brakes? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
BryanD wrote:

A few years back, Karbon Speed claimed their wheels could save you 4-11 minutes over 40k. They had some aero engineer named Pablo do their analysis so it must be true.

Those videos with Pablo were hilarious! It was painful to watch

Quote Reply

Prev Next