Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anxiety induced cramps/side stitch.
Quote | Reply

Has anyone ever heard of getting a cramp in your side based on anxiety or nerves?

I never get them in training even at race pace. But a week prior to the race I get a cramp in my side that lingers around. Once the race starts it gets worse. A day after the race it’s gone.

Quote Reply
Re: Anxiety induced cramps/side stitch. [kquantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez, now I have something else to worry about. Thanks

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thing I can think of is anxiety could cause breathing to be hastened resulting and shorter more frequent breaths. Try to breathe slower and deeper into your upper chest. If that doesn't work jam two fingers into the stitch like you're trying to poke a hole in yourself.

I've been dealing with stitches for a while and can't seem to find a common variable as to when they occur. Had a long recovery run this weekend at a 9:00min/mile pace and got them. Did 0.5 mile intervals at 6:30 pace in 90% humidity today and had no problems. They are a bitch.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you could use some relaxation training- progressive muscle relaxation and imagery exercises. You could go to a psychologist in your area or maybe find some exercises on line.
Quote Reply
Re: Anxiety induced cramps/side stitch. [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, type AAA personality is a bitch. I'm still obsessing over losing two places because I stopped to kiss the kids on the run and then again to organize them for the finish. It wasn't for the podium but it was damn close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a fixable problem. I think a sport psychologist could really help you with the anxiety in just a few sessions. Once you learn it, you will be able to do it on your own and generalize it to other situations.
Quote Reply
Re: Anxiety induced cramps/side stitch. [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe so. But I'm never going to a shrink. Isn't that why we have ST?
Last edited by: kquantum: Jun 30, 15 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a big fail on my brick run two weeks out from my first attempt at an IM. I don't think its nerves because I wasn't really worried about it, have done bricks before but it hit me hard. I ended up turning around and walking home. I couldn't keep running. So, what triggers it, what should I do to help or prevent it. Is it stretching, should I get a massage, take a hot bath?? Getting nervous, never had one this bad before.
Quote Reply