Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another injury question
Quote | Reply
I just wrote out three paragraphs but my computer crashed! So i'll keep this really simple:

-history of ankle sprains but nothing in past 5 years. Ankle felt great up to last week.

TUESDAY
-did a track workout (circular track) for the first time and over-did it (lots of sprints, etc.)

WEDNESDAY
-felt VERY sore in my glute...probably from running in circles and from the stopping and starting

THURSDAY
-still a bit sore but decided to go jogging. Did 14km. A bit sore in glute but that's it.

FRIDAY
-When i went to bed I was stretching and flexed my ankle a bit and may (or may not of) heard a bit a click - can't remember.

SATURDAY
-Woke up in severe pain. Felt like ankle was sprained. Could barely walk on it. I iced it for 15min then pain went away. I had a bit of a lingering limp later in day but could hardly notice.

SUNDAY
-Woke up and again...severe pain. Iced it but pain never went away. All day extremely painful as well as next morning. Was on crutches. Went to doctor and was told it was (i) delayed sprain causing delayed tendon swelling, (ii) gout. I asked why it came on Saturday and was gone on Sunday but he wasnt sure. He said he has experienced pain in his knee that suddenly went away "I can't explain things like that....and i'm a doctor!"

TUESDAY
-In the afternoon, within a span of about 4 hours, the pain went from a 9 to a 2. By Wednesday i was walking without a limp.

Anyone had this? Doctor said gout is a possibility and can be brought on by sudden over-exercise. Strange thing is i'm 39 yrs old, lean, underweight if anything, and eat very healthy.

BQ
Quote Reply
Re: Another injury question [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My expertise is as a muscular therapist so while there could certainly be other reasons for this problem you had, I will address the muscular component as it is often overlooked. The muscles of your lower leg all insert into your foot. When they contract they cause all of the movements of your foot and ankle, but when they are in spasm you feel pain when moving in the opposite direction from the muscle that is pulling, and it will often cause swelling/inflammation at the insertion point of the tendon. I just posted this for someone else with foot pain but I'll also put it here for you so you don't need to go searching.

My suggestion is to take tennis or lacrosse ball and kneel on the floor. Put the ball just to the outside of your shin bone and press down, slowly rolling the ball down to your ankle. Then sit on the floor and do the same thing on the very outside of your lower leg. You'll find several points that are painful, these are the knots that are putting a strain on your foot.

You can lie down and put your calf onto your opposite bent knee and deeply massage all of the muscles in the back of your lower leg. All of them impact your foot from your heel to your toes. When you find tender points, stay still for 30 seconds and give the muscle spasm some time to release before moving on to another point. There are muscles that run behind your shin bone, that you can reach by crossing your leg and then pressing your thumbs into the muscle, but without pictures it's difficult to explain this treatment. I'm writing a blog tomorrow that will be posted next week and I will change my topic to "ankle pain while running" so I can put the pictures there. It's definitely worthwhile treating the muscles to make sure they are not causing the problem.

Don't let pain cause a DNF! YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit http://www.FlexibleAthlete.com and http://www.Julstro.com to learn logical solutions to repetitive strain injuries and how to stretch safely.
Quote Reply
Re: Another injury question [JulieDonnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for commenting.

My ankle is for the most part 100% better but I still have the pain in my glute (piriformis?). I'll try the ball thing but it's help to hear the muscle explanation.

Cheers, Cam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cam. I'm glad to hear that your ankle has improved. Another muscle that causes your piriformis to so into a spasm is the muscle at the anterior/lateral quadriceps - the rectus femoris. When this muscle is in spasm it will put a strain on your anterior pelvis, pull your pelvis down in the front so it rotates up in the back. Then your posterior pelvis will cause your piriformis to torque and will press into your sciatic nerve. If you run the heel of your hand deeply along the muscle you'll find a tender point that will also feel like a knot in the muscle (it actually is a big spasm). Keep the heel of your on the knot for 30-60 seconds increasing the pressure every 10 seconds to release the tension in the muscle fibers.

Wishing you well,
Julie

Don't let pain cause a DNF! YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit http://www.FlexibleAthlete.com and http://www.Julstro.com to learn logical solutions to repetitive strain injuries and how to stretch safely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same thing started at 39 also. Wasn't bad but as I age it happens more often and diet really affects it.
Quote Reply
Re: Another injury question [efntm1432] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have it. I tried a bit of physio but no luck. However, i never really stopped running. I am going to stop running and try yoga at home for 2 weeks to see if that helps.

Did you beat this syndrome? I have had so many painful days at work after running the day before.

Cam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to stop running on it or you risk long term effects. You can run when you are pain free. I only miss a few weeks a year. But oh man it hurts.
Quote Reply