Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another gnarly deer-encounter
Quote | Reply
http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/12/17/video-bicyclist-hits-deer-near-golden-gate-bridge/

That's a pretty good descent there... Nothing he could do to avoid. Deer are incredibly stupid when it comes to judging speed and distances.

Wishing the poor guy a speedy recovery and good luck getting over the traumatic experience.

Quote Reply
Re: Another gnarly deer-encounter [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
his handlebars/stem came off the forks .?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ouch, no way of avoiding that one!

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another gnarly deer-encounter [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was surprised to see that. I reckon it was a carbon steerer that sheared off at impact, like George Hincapie in Paris-Roubaix.

Poor guy didn't stand a chance though! I'm guessing if he's got his head cam footage online then he's probably on the road to recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mmmmmmmm venison

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Another gnarly deer-encounter [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think if the steerer tube sheared off, it would still be clamped in the stem. IMO, the stem is empty as if it just slid right off the top of the steerer tube (but I guess it would have to blow off the stem cap to do that).

Either way, tough crash. Nothing to do but just brace for landing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deer are incredibly stupid when it comes to judging speed and distances.

They don't *look* before they leap at all. A semi could have been coming down the road and they would have run in front of that too. If they are startled, they are as likely to run *towards* the thing that startled them as away.

Where I live, deer are the major hazard. They get hit by cars all the time. So far I've been lucky but there have been many close calls.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran over a squirrel on one of my rides and that was traumatic enough. Bugger just darted right in front of my wheel. I didn't stop to check on the condition of the squirrel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That descent is a gentle, non-technical cruise coming down the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito. It's one that any cyclist in SF has done dozens (hundreds?) of times.

Being scared of something like that is like being worried about getting struck by lightning.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Another gnarly deer-encounter [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah living in Minnessota..... last night my wife and I saw a huge fresh looking bloodstain spattered across the road (not uncommon in these parts) along with a small bundle of grey fur off to the side. We then noticed a single red tire track continuing along the road for half a mile at least..... until it turned off onto the hard shoulder where lay a larger bundle of fur that turned out to be a crumpled/compressed deer torso and head. Sucker must have gotten wedged into the wheel arch of a truck....

Anyway it sucks for that guy, I winced when I watched it, then replayed it and winced again. Holy flying stems batman!!

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LINK

WOW and OUCH! I knew it was coming and still jumped out of my seat on impact! Any word on how rider is?
Quote Reply