Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request
Quote | Reply
I just think it's wrong to ask for money like this.

https://www.rallyme.com/rallies/992

"Herein lies the problem. I just blew my race savings and budget on the IMLT and I only have four more weeks to go until IMFL. And that is where you all come in. I am asking each of you to consider foregoing a Starbucks or two and instead help me come up with the money to get to IMFL. The race is in Panama City, Florida, a very popular location that is expensive to travel to. I am looking at between $600-$800 in airfare, $200-$300 in rental car and gas, plus a few more expenses. I have a couple of friends who have graciously offered me a place to crash so hopefully I won’t need to try to find a last minute hotel."

Quote Reply
Re: Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request [gwatts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, another begging request….

My only advice to people is get your f*&king shit together.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No criticism allowed, he's a serviceman. Shush and give him a donation, commie!! /pink

I love how he throws that right in at the start
Last edited by: npage148: Oct 1, 14 16:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a poor triathlete I hate reading people begging. What happened in Tahoe sucked! However no one forced him to go and sign up for IMFL. I don't understand why he'd sign up for a race he can't afford. I hope these people go through these GoFundme pages and see people who need money for "real life shit" and feel horrible asking to cover reg fees ect for a hobby
Quote Reply
Re: Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its hard to feel sorry for someone who has a hobby that is as expensive as Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i donated because of your advertisement.
Quote Reply
Re: Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am retired Air Force and have to agree. The King Fire affected everyone at IMLT whether they were a vet or not. It just isn't relevant. The whole thing was so unfortunate, but I could never sell my dignity and beg for race funds just to fulfill my personal athletic goals. Pretty soon folks will start begging for money to buy the $15K dream bike of their choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The title "IMLT Burned Me" is a little distasteful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now he's getting paid to race. I guess that makes him a "professional triathlete."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmmmm. I can only afford to do ironmans (barely) every two years. And always on the cheap (sharing hotel rooms, staying as short as possible, without a coach). Let alone two in a year. Dude, budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He lost me at $200-$300 for a rental car and gas. I just booked one from Thursday to Sunday at $21/day for a grand total--tax and all--of $95 on Expedia. Is he going to spend $105 in gas driving from the airport to his free lodging and back? I feel bad for the guy, but I would encourage anyone who works for me (military or not) to reconsider their hobby if it makes them even consider asking strangers for money. I hope I would have the common sense to see it this way if I was in his situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request [krupkake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. I only do one 'big' race a year and it's within driving distance, because I can't afford airfare and a rental car.

I dream someday of doing some super fun destination race and making it a 'race-cation' but I just don't have the cheddar and I'm certainly not going to beg.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to "...to conquer the beast together..." Did he tell his dad to find his own damn corner to beg on, I'm going to Florida!
Quote Reply
Re: Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would find it comical If I didn't think it was so disgusting that people have the hutzpah to beg for money to fund their vacation/athletic exploits.

However, I can understand his plight a little better than the last one who wanted to go to Kona on our dime.

. And I sympathize due to the Lake Tahoe cancelation. But still. . I would never in a million years think it was OK to ask friends and strangers to anti up and pay for a trip. It is a hobby. If he was begging for money to go see his dying family member in Peoria it might elicit more sympathy.
Last edited by: Ty: Oct 2, 14 2:14
Quote Reply
Re: Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request [vguy2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vguy2001 wrote:
What happened to "...to conquer the beast together..." Did he tell his dad to find his own damn corner to beg on, I'm going to Florida!
this!!
Quote Reply
Re: Another "Pay for my hobby" donation request [vguy2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And get off my damn lawn.
Quote Reply