Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another FTP Test Interpretation (did the full 60) -- Where to go from here?
Quote | Reply
Looking for some help/advice on where to go with my cycling training for those more in the know than I am. I got myself a power meter for the new year and have been biking very consistently for the last 6 weeks prior to the test. On/off cycling over the last fall (2-3x/ week) when I did a marathon but I biked a lot and consistently for the first time last spring/ summer. The test was going to be a tempo ride but quickly turned into a full 1 hour legitimate FTP test outdoors on a 2 mile loop. Result was 261 watts/ 264 normalized for the hour. Threshold HR was 161. This equated to 4.42 W/kg (I very much have the tall and lean runner build).

Quick background -- ran in college for 4.5 years, did triathlon for a year and really like cycling so I am focusing on that heavily for the upcoming season. I thought my FTP would be in the 4.1-4.4 range so I think the test went really well. My question concerns improvement from here. I know my 30 second-5 minute power is quite terrible in comparison. Should I focus now on trying to improve the more maximal end of power? Or should I continue doing longer FTP type intervals? I plan on trying to do some cycling races, anything I can find from road to circuit to cries to TT's really. My concern is I won't have the power to make a break with a group or finish in a sprint even the first 90% of the race is relatively easy comparatively.

So essentially the question comes down to, as someone relatively new to cycling should I focus more long term on continuing the FTP-improvement based workouts (also still very early in the year to move away from base-type work), or should I focus more on improving my weaknesses which would definitely be anything <5 minute power and might help me more when racing? If that is the case what type of workouts would be most efficient at targeting this? I have the test on starve so I can upload it if it would actually be helpful but any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Another FTP Test Interpretation (did the full 60) -- Where to go from here? [RVArunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to take up bike racing then you will need to work on your high power metrics if you want to compete.

I just started to do bike racing last year and found that it was absolutely simple to just sit in for the entire duration of the race.
Getting placings were not on the radar last year because my power metrics for 2 minutes and below were so poor that they were outside categorization.

Maximizing 2 minutes power will help you create or bridge a gap.
Maximizing 10-30 second power will place you in a race.

I have neither so am only talking from a hopeful/theoretical POV for now.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Another FTP Test Interpretation (did the full 60) -- Where to go from here? [RVArunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you won't have any issues in the cat 4-5s with that FTP. Work on your top end and sprinting. Eventually you'll find yourself in races with people stronger than you but you'll be a bit of an outlier as a 5. How's your bike handling?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work knocking off the hour, that is some mental fortitude! Your FTP puts you in a good place to start out in Cat 5 or whatever. Sure you will need to work on that explosive power and anaerobic capacity if you want to win, but mostly it will just be skills and tactics that gets you results. You have enough aerobic power to recover from repeated efforts, so it will be more a matter of being well placed and picking your moments. Obviously climbs will be good for you, TT's too if you can get yourself aero.

I might recommend some "Tractor Pull" 20s-sprint efforts (Allen) to get some punch going and maybe a sampling of :30-2:00 intervals.

Beyond that, I would get into as many hard group rides as you can and try to get in the mix.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Another FTP Test Interpretation (did the full 60) -- Where to go from here? [CB3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I do most of my riding by myself but I feel like my handling is good in terms of control on the bike. I definitely plan on getting into more group rides to practice all the handling that comes with it and be more comfortable riding in a pack which would probably be the most useful especially in crits. I also figure it will also be a better workout than riding on my own when not doing a structured workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be important to work on 2 minute and less power, but your best bang for your buck is to seek out as many hard group rides as possible. Find the ones that have people who road race...because typically they train in similar fashion to how they race. Attacking hills, lining up for sprint points, etc. It will also give you a better feel for how to ride in a group that is racing. It's quite different from you average group ride of weekend warriors or triathletes. You'll learn about positioning within the group, through corners, and anticipating when the ride will get hard. You would be surprised how much energy you can save with some smarts and savvy. The only way you really learn it though is to keep doing it.
Quote Reply