Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Annoying Wheel Question
Quote | Reply
My question is specific to 650c wheels, so no need stating to just go get Flo 60s. 😎

Current everyday wheels are Easton Vista. Patiently looking to buy some race wheels on a budget. I've recently seen some older 650c HED 3s clinchers but these are the narrow rims and I'd be using Continental 4000s in a 23mm size. I've read that could take away a lot of the benefit of the HED 3s as they are really meant to have a 19-20mm tire. With my limited budget zip 404s or HED Jet 6 would be older models too and (maybe?) narrow rims also. I know I could just get a front wheel and put an aerojacket cover on the rear.

Let's say my budget is $700... what are reasonable options to look at?

(135 lbs rider, mix of flat and moderate hill terrain, no epic climbing)
Quote Reply
Re: Another Annoying Wheel Question [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 135 lbs, you would be fine on the skinny tyres.
The aero watts are more important to you at that weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Annoying Wheel Question [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stomponafrog wrote:
My question is specific to 650c wheels, so no need stating to just go get Flo 60s. 😎

Current everyday wheels are Easton Vista. Patiently looking to buy some race wheels on a budget. I've recently seen some older 650c HED 3s clinchers but these are the narrow rims and I'd be using Continental 4000s in a 23mm size. I've read that could take away a lot of the benefit of the HED 3s as they are really meant to have a 19-20mm tire. With my limited budget zip 404s or HED Jet 6 would be older models too and (maybe?) narrow rims also. I know I could just get a front wheel and put an aerojacket cover on the rear.

Let's say my budget is $700... what are reasonable options to look at?

(135 lbs rider, mix of flat and moderate hill terrain, no epic climbing)

I've used a 23mm tire on a HED3 front as well as older Jet 60's

Honestly i can't feel the difference between the GP4000 SII (23mm) and a Vittoria Corsa CX (20mm). If I had to sway one way or the other I would go with the GP4000SII just because the tire is more available.

At $700 you should easily be able to find some HED Jets or 404's

Personally, if I was looking at 404's I'd be looking for the aluminum rim version which is just a little older. All of the Jets have the aluminum braking surface.

I currently use an older Jet 90 with a cover for a rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Annoying Wheel Question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, the 21mm Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX tire feels like its tubular counterpart - smooth and supple. It feels better than the GP4000 SII.

You can order the Vittoria in the states from here: https://bike-on.com/...-21#sns_tab_products
Last edited by: RichardL: Feb 20, 17 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Another Annoying Wheel Question [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There you go, two opinions on what works well with the narrower HED wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Annoying Wheel Question [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. 🚴ðŸ¼
Quote Reply