Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ankle banding
Quote | Reply
Wow...is it possible to be so balanced so as to swim well with an ankle band? I've always swam faster and more comfortably with a pull buoy(although don't use one for more than a couple hundred yards during warm up) so I know that my legs must drop, causing drag. Tried an angle band for the first time this week and the dropped legs/ increased drag was extremely apparent. I'm guessing my legs dropped 20-30 degrees below the surface and there was little I could do to raise them by pushing downward with my upper body.

I know that getting the legs up is the solution, but I find it hard to believe that one can actually balance the body such that the legs won't drop when banded, unless you're swimming at a 1:00/100. I usually do 100 repeats at a 1:30/100yd pace, not super fast, but I'm not a sinker either. Is there hope, or maybe trick?
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [mharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wet suit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed helps for sure, but focussing on a tight core and I find a conscious effort to try and keep your hips up vs trying to keep your legs up helps - that being said I definitely feel myself sinking lower as I get deeper into a set and start to tire. I often use a snorkel as it allows me to make corrections and try different things to help body position without the need to turn and breathe screwing everything up.

Here's a video which shows that even with good stroke timing and speed your heels probably won't be tickling the surface

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0prPd6gjQqc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally possible - keep working hard

Quote | Reply
I can swim adequately with a band now (typically first 1000m), but not fast. When it comes off it feels like i'm flying.

The first weeks were a real struggle and I tried to find cues that would lift my feet. Nothing worked except doing it by increments and letting my body find the efficiencies.

Now that I'm reasonably comfortable the old advice to press upper torso down makes a difference in getting the back end up. I don't think I'd be able to do that early on, though, too many other things to worry about.

Anyway, using one helped my body position immensely -- worth the aggravation.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
The first weeks were a real struggle and I tried to find cues that would lift my feet. Nothing worked except doing it by increments and letting my body find the efficiencies.

+1

first time i tried it, my legs just steadily sank as i made my way across the pool, and i was practically standing up after 25 yards. couldn't understand how anyone could swim normally with it. just kept trying...25 at a time, then 50, building both strength and feel. started doing 4-6 x 50 with band in almost every swim, as part of my warm up / drills. now i'll do 100-200 at a time. legs still sink a little, but not nearly as much, and they stay where they are instead of gradually sinking more and more. to be perfectly honest, i'm not even exactly sure what i've changed; there's nothing specific i can describe that i'm doing differently. i think i'm just kind of subconsciously learning which muscles to tense and which to relax.

just keep at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
wet suit

Well yeah, but........it'd be nice to be faster in the pool too!
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
Speed helps for sure, but focussing on a tight core and I find a conscious effort to try and keep your hips up vs trying to keep your legs up helps - that being said I definitely feel myself sinking lower as I get deeper into a set and start to tire. I often use a snorkel as it allows me to make corrections and try different things to help body position without the need to turn and breathe screwing everything up.

Here's a video which shows that even with good stroke timing and speed your heels probably won't be tickling the surface

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0prPd6gjQqc

Thanks for the video link. I think I'm like this guy afetr he slowed down! 'll try a snorkle and some more speed to get the feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
I can swim adequately with a band now (typically first 1000m), but not fast. When it comes off it feels like i'm flying.

Now that I'm reasonably comfortable the old advice to press upper torso down makes a difference in getting the back end up. I don't think I'd be able to do that early on, though, too many other things to worry about.

Anyway, using one helped my body position immensely -- worth the aggravation.

Thanks kiki, this is it, finding the cues and efficiencies. I suppose it will come around with cosistent practice and repetition. Back at it tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a pretty similar situation as you about a year ago. 1:30/100 normal pace, 1:20/100 for shorter hard intervals. Started doing legs tied and it really helped. Start out small, doing 25s or 50s at a time until you get used to it. I still have to really focus on form and keeping my chest pressed and hips up but can now do 100s/200s @ 1:35/100 legs tied without too much trouble(when I started I was at like 1:50/100 pace.) Really helped my open swimming speed as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
Totally possible - keep working hard

This picture should be banned from this thread....no buoy permitted....just band. Where is Jonnyo to delete this silly picture!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Help me understand this as it relates to ankle bands and pull buoys in general. How do you rotate well without a kick? I use my hips and legs to drive a lot of my rotation, and I find when I use a pull buoy, my rotation suffers as I try not to kick. I feel like this would be same with bands. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I rotate very well, but am no swim expert. (This may be backed up by the fact that when I swim with a buoy I am way faster than without it..) I think that if a buoy hurts our rotation is would be from the buoyancy of it (rotating would force the top end underwater) but not sure... Give the band a try and report back!
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I use the band by itself but also use the band with buoy. It doesn't sound like it would be any different than swimming with buoy but does make breathing more challenging for whatever reason. And I can handle more than a 50 without failure, which is difficult on band only sets.

And who is this jonnyo character you mention?

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rlh212 wrote:
I was in a pretty similar situation as you about a year ago. 1:30/100 normal pace, 1:20/100 for shorter hard intervals. Started doing legs tied and it really helped. Start out small, doing 25s or 50s at a time until you get used to it. I still have to really focus on form and keeping my chest pressed and hips up but can now do 100s/200s @ 1:35/100 legs tied without too much trouble(when I started I was at like 1:50/100 pace.) Really helped my open swimming speed as well.

Thanks for this. You got me wondering though. If you can go 1:35 with he band, how much did your "normal pace" improve? Did it become the equivalent of what swimming with a buoy used to be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, still faster with the buoy but the gap has closed a bit. Hard to say what came from the band and what was just normal improvement but I would say since I started I have picked up 3s/100y?
Last edited by: rlh212: Feb 15, 16 10:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it! I've been stagnant at the same pace for years. This will be an interesting experiment for improving technique and hopefully comfort/speed.
M
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle banding [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
Actually I use the band by itself but also use the band with buoy. It doesn't sound like it would be any different than swimming with buoy but does make breathing more challenging for whatever reason. And I can handle more than a 50 without failure, which is difficult on band only sets.

And who is this jonnyo character you mention?

I visualize using one psoas major to drive the entire spine+hip+leg down, while visualizing pulling the glute on the opposing side up and out of the water. Is your band+buoy Jonnyo approved. I thought it was in violation, but perhaps he is getting soft in his older age :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just takes time and practice in order to have balance while wearing one. Just like anything else new, you just have to keep trying and eventually it will feel normal and natural.

Jeff Brown - Georgia
Quote Reply