Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Angry with best bike splits
Quote | Reply
They did not predict I would get a flat and mechanical at IMMT. They did, however, predict that my wife would go 5:48ish and she went 5:50ish with a porta potty stop. Excellent modeling for free!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At Steelhead it either told me that the wind was very favorable and/or my power meter calibration was way the hell off (had issues with it early in the ride). Probably a little of both.

They are working on modeling wind changes.

I hope it's accurate for IMWI, but I hear that course is challenging to model because of variability in pavement quality, wind obstructions (trees & hills) and the frequency of elevation changes. I think you commonly seem to get sheltered on tailwind section and are exposed on headwind section with a typical SW wind. Most people ride 10' slower than it predicts.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5:09 for me. They predicted 5:08, but I was 4w below my goal (NP), so maybe I shouldn't be so angry ;-). Seriously pretty amazingly accurate for me and my friends who use it!

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need to add a some new settings for IM (pee on and off bike selection).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems my to-do list keeps getting longer, but have some cool stuff (I think it's cool anyway) in work. Just got access to a large amount of data through a deal that is not quite announced yet that should help speed development in several areas. Still not full time on the project, but keeping the dream alive.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, need a pee section on BBS. I suspect there are many reasons your model works well for most. I suspect that those who use power meters and are interested in typing the data into your program are more similar than not in the choices they make. Lots of wide clinchers, latex tubes, aero helmets etc and probably less of the '15 gels strapped on the top tube' type of decisions.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's a niche for sure. Though a few people have used it to figure out the power they needed to avoid bike cut off times, and plenty of 6:30+ type of riders (found out from emails I have received). Drag is of course the trickiest thing (and speed/grade at which a rider will typically change positions). Learned in the grio that my settings were a bit too aggressive even for most pro riders (though if you watched Uran on the first TT I think he stayed tucked till he dipped under 14 or so mph on pretty good gradients).

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I hope it's accurate for IMWI, but I hear that course is challenging to model because of variability in pavement quality, wind obstructions (trees & hills) and the frequency of elevation changes. I think you commonly seem to get sheltered on tailwind section and are exposed on headwind section with a typical SW wind. Most people ride 10' slower than it predicts.

Based on my test ride Saturday, that is my guess. But I also had a lot of "noise" in my data....we kept starting / stopping, waiting for people., etc. But the 180w target would have netted me ~20 mph avg, and I was way less than that. And I was using my race wheels (but not my aero lid or tri kit).

And for whatever reason, my target power notices were not popping up on this ride. they stopped about 1/5 of the way into the ride. I would get "Course Found" notices, but after a short period, my power goals just stopped completely.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that. Iif you send me an email with some device details I might be able to help out. I noticed that occasionally after x number of missed point the course will jump to the end point for certain devices. I'll look through my notes and find out what events lead to this, definitely not ideal! I'm hoping we will have some better course execution in the future, currently we are a little at the mercy of how Garmin has structured courses. As a back up the cheat-sheet has worked well when the electronics act up. I think Cody wrote it on his arm one race because he can't see his top tube when racing.

If the concept of power based navigation starts to gain traction I think there will be some interest from the device manufactures (actually already is from smaller guys) to do a real integration. It's not out of the realm of possibilities for real time updates at some point with a connected device (if rules on communication are refined a bit). i.e. you overcook the first part so plan adjusts or if the weather shifts etc. We do have an api if someone wants to build out a phone/wahoo rflk app to test concepts.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a Garmin 510. Not a big deal really.....I had used the Power Course file once before successfully, so I kinda knew where I should be anyway. Flats - around 180, take or give. Hills - 220+, depending on grade, descents - 150ish.

Interesting that you noted problems after x number of missed points. Was definitely a problem for us as we were rolling out of town.....and shortly thereafter is where the power goals stopped popping up. Sounds like that may have been the issue.

I usually use my 310XT when racing and use the MultiSport setting. I was considering using the 510 for IMWI for the Power Course file, but think I'll just stick with the 310XT at this point. But love the idea of power-based navigation.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably won't both with the power course, since i won't really have a chance to test it out. It might be a distraction. I'll just glance at NP and AP now and then and see how I'm doing. Though honestly in my last 2 70.3, I seemed to be right on target riding mostly by feel anyway. I did need to restrain myself the first few miles and up some hills.

My training ride at IMWI was WAYY slow, but as you mentioned stops, stop signs, and I had really slow tires and lots of bottles.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question since I don't know much about BBS, other than just playing with it a bit. Do you guys really pay $20 a month for this service? How many races do you do that would justify this cost?

Quote | Reply
Origonally we didnt have a monthly option. It was basically 10 a month billed for a year. The vision was that you would use it to help plan, train (course specific both in and out season), and execute on your races. Im finally close to adding the last peice with a sort of feedback loop with actual ride data to start really driving future planning. I added the monthly and found that the support time required was about even for monthly and yearly users. Since we are a completely bootstraped company (still have day jobs) I wanted to price the service where I could justify spending time on it and at a price I wouldnt mind paying for 3 to 4 months for a race or two. Its not for everybody (yet) but so far its been a lot if fun. Hope to demo some of the new developments soon!

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
Origonally we didnt have a monthly option. It was basically 10 a month billed for a year. The vision was that you would use it to help plan, train (course specific both in and out season), and execute on your races. Im finally close to adding the last peice with a sort of feedback loop with actual ride data to start really driving future planning. I added the monthly and found that the support time required was about even for monthly and yearly users. Since we are a completely bootstraped company (still have day jobs) I wanted to price the service where I could justify spending time on it and at a price I wouldnt mind paying for 3 to 4 months for a race or two. Its not for everybody (yet) but so far its been a lot if fun. Hope to demo some of the new developments soon!

I'm not criticizing the price, I just don't understand how it helps me race. I just have to play with it a bit to figure it out.

Quote | Reply
One way it can help is to see how different power goals affect time, on a given course.

Another way, especially for very hill or windy courses, is to figure out how much harder to go up the climbs and how much easier to go down them.

I used it that way for a lot of my wife's TTs this year.

A third way, is to figure out equipment choices. You have a 10% hill climb TT, do you use the 404 or the 808 on it? How much money should you dump into losing another 100g from the bike? etc

TheGupster wrote:
I'm not criticizing the price, I just don't understand how it helps me race. I just have to play with it a bit to figure it out.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Angry with best bike splits [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jack. Hopefully in September you can use it for much much more :)

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
Thanks Jack. Hopefully in September you can use it for much much more :)

I thought of another!
You can use the Yaw Angle distribution feature to get an idea of what yaws angles you are likely to experience in your races, and then make smarter decisions about frames, wheels, and tires as a result!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply