Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Angle Aerobars upwards?
Quote | Reply
I might get flamed for this, but I was reading a Triathlete Magazine and there was a small blurb that angling your aerobars upwards actually deceases the wind resistance, or something along those lines? Is there any truth to that?
I have a Shiv and was wondering if it is worth changing the angle of the aerobars for that little bit of help
Quote Reply
Re: Angle Aerobars upwards? [Domal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
angling your extensions upward, so that your arms are angle upwards, may sometimes decrease wind resistance.

angling the airfoil shaped basebar upwards will not.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, having your hands slightly above your elbows is faster for some/a lot of people.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Angle Aerobars upwards? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
angling your extensions upward, so that your arms are angle upwards, may sometimes decrease wind resistance.

angling the airfoil shaped basebar upwards will not.

sorry, yes, that is what I meant, angling the extensions upwards.
Thanks for the clarification
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like most things... you need to test it for YOU.

Different amounts of angle can change things immensely (or it did for me in the tunnel.) and when it's bad it's pretty bad.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere that if you are bigger, especially with bigger legs, it is beneficial to angle your bars/hands upwards a bit, but not as much if you are skinny.
Quote Reply
Re: Angle Aerobars upwards? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Domal wrote:
I might get flamed for this, but I was reading a Triathlete Magazine and there was a small blurb that angling your aerobars upwards actually deceases the wind resistance, or something along those lines? Is there any truth to that?
I have a Shiv and was wondering if it is worth changing the angle of the aerobars for that little bit of help

Angling extensions--not basebars--upward works really, really well for some riders, and really, really bad for others. This is highly specific to the individual, though I've seen some trending that suggests that shorter riders might find more benefit than taller when angling extensions upward.

This. Also, this is known as the "mantis" position. You need to field test with a power meter or go to a wind tunnel. You'd be shocked how small changes make a big difference when trying this position.
Quote Reply
Re: Angle Aerobars upwards? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% spot on. Angled mine up (and narrowed them) and didn't like the initial angle, so it is a lot of trial and error (no power meter yet), but I went by feel, and felt like I closed off my lungs too much more, so back to the drawing board, maybe less of an angle. Just a lot to testing to find the "sweetspot" between comfort and power...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Try Not To Puke on the Finish Line!
http://trynot2puke.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, just to re-state the already very good responses...it can be very beneficial to raise your hands above your elbows. How much is rider dependent and has to be tested. When doing so, understand how it changes your position. Don't angle the base bar (which you already knew not to do!).

My two biggest pet peeves in bicycle design right now are the ever-increasing frame stacks and the lack of angular adjustment of the extensions on some proprietary bars.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply