Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anecdotal evidence of why carbon is safer than it's made out to be (aka. scold me for my stupidity)
Quote | Reply
I rode these bars for roughly 6 months looking like this. I'm not actually sure when the crack by the extensions originated it but I noticed it before 70.3 worlds (still raced on them). I figure the broken rear ends on the hoods aren't too structural but the hole in one of the hoods is certainly questionable.

The point is, I never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable with these bars, whether climbing or descending. Did Zipp overbuild these bars or was descending at 50mph during a race nearly as dangerous as riding in a pack with disc brakes?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Anecdotal evidence of why carbon is safer than it's made out to be (aka. scold me for my stupidity) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in a composites lab that specializes in analysing the mechanics of failure. Riding on those bars with the crack by the extensions could have been tragic. Composites are fantastic for a number of reasons, but at the same time they have their own limitations. So no, the bars weren't overbuilt, you're just lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Anecdotal evidence of why carbon is safer than it's made out to be (aka. scold me for my stupidity) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming you mean that crack right next to the collett?

That crack happened when you crashed on the bars 6months ago. A damn hard crash iyak as there is damage to both sides of the grips. crack don't necessarily occure at the point of impact

Yes you are lucky, but you should have replaced it before your jeopardised yourself and others around you.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply