Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What continental championship has the hardest bike course? I'd say winning one of those is his only shot at Kona 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Article today on cyclingnews about Talansky's plans. He plans for Kona in 2018. Realistic goal?

I know being super skinny is de rigueur in cycling but man, he is just a stick figure in those photos. I think he will need to gain a few pounds in his upper body to swim fast enough to come out with the Sebi/Lionel 52/53 min group. I would think this will just happen naturally once he starts swimming a lot, if he eats enough and allows a few lbs of muscle to develop. If you look at pics of Lance at the Super Frog Tri the year he won it, he looks pretty muscular, weighing around 165-170-ish at 5'10", at least 10-15 lbs more than in his pure cyclist days. I'm not saying Talansky needs to become as muscular as Lance but a little muscle does help in the water.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that Lucy Charles is ripped!
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Yeah that Lucy Charles is ripped!

Ummm, actually, she has broader shoulders and more definition in her arms than Talansky, who appears to have very little muscle in his upper body in those cycling pictures. Further, female swimmers tend to look less muscular on average than male swimmers, in part b/c they tend to have a little more body fat.

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mid pack elite triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [aaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep! 4;20ish HIM .....
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those still interested in following this story, Talansky went on Phil Gaimon's podcast and talked about cycling and the transition to Triathlon. Tri talk starts around 40 minutes in. The most open natural interview I've heard yet (probably owing to his friendship with Phil).

http://www.thepelotonbrief.com/real-talent-with-phil-gaimon-20/

Based on some of his comments, I'll be curious to see what kind of success he has. He somewhat dismisses the swim, and says he's tenacious on the run, so he should be able to compete. We'll see about that....

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
He somewhat dismisses the swim, and says he's tenacious on the run, so he should be able to compete. We'll see about that....

For even FOP age groupers at the IM distance that's not a terrible strategy (unless you're a Josh Beck type swimmer but not a Josh Beck type biker/runner). For a pro that has expressed a desire to be competitive at Kona that is an awful strategy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's really good listen, I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've heard him interviewed. I get the sense this is the best sporting alternative for him with his new life prospective (having a kid).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Gaimon... One of the great hypocrites of cycling.

B_Doughtie wrote:
He's really good listen, I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've heard him interviewed. I get the sense this is the best sporting alternative for him with his new life prospective (having a kid).

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way the brownlees's run sub-29, and probably not even sub-30, off a non-drafting bike leg especially if they are truly not drafting.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?? You don't think he competed clean ??

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No clue about his performances and if they are clean. I'm referencing his level of criticism of some dopers over others.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What? Look at basically all of Alistairs races, he is the one pulling and has done solo breakaways and small group breakaways many times while still running sub 30.
I would say the the steady state effort that non-drafting has will likely leave his legs fresher than the huge surges he is used to.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
No clue about his performances and if they are clean. I'm referencing his level of criticism of some dopers over others.

Listen to the podcast. Especially the last 15 min. It's a hard hard position for these guys to be in.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just listened to his TrainerRoad podcast interview, really good.

I think he's had a really hard time on this thread.

To sum up his points:

• He's making the change out of passion, he loves tri
  • Personal life will become easier
  • He would like to qualify for Kona 2018, said nothing about winning or even doing well. He called qualifying in 2018 a pipe dream.
  • He doesn't think he'll be setting fast bike splits because 1. People like Kienle are already really fast 2. He needs to be able to run after the bike
  • His swim is not good and needs a lot of work
  • He will have to build up running really slowly to avoid injuries
  • Minimum three years before being very competetive
  • Will not be good over short distances as he's not explosive. He's able to hold hard efforts for a long time. Even HIM effort is a bit too hard.

He came across as really humble and looking forward to joining the sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
tallswimmer wrote:
He somewhat dismisses the swim, and says he's tenacious on the run, so he should be able to compete. We'll see about that....

For even FOP age groupers at the IM distance that's not a terrible strategy (unless you're a Josh Beck type swimmer but not a Josh Beck type biker/runner). For a pro that has expressed a desire to be competitive at Kona that is an awful strategy.

I think the strategy for 2018 is "be in Kona" - which, if you're a new pro with a sub-par swim - leveraging a strong bike and praying you can hold it on the run is probably the only way to get to Kona next year.

If he's still playing that game in 2020 then that's another matter.
Last edited by: timbasile: Dec 12, 17 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always liked Phil but now i understand why some people really dislike him. The conversation about on doping was kind of nauseating.

Sounds like you are allowed to dope and can still be a good person if you are friends with them, but if you are someone like contador or lance, then doping is not okay and you are the problem with cycling. That segment really blew me away.

They basically said yeah X doped, but he’s a really good person so that’s okay. On the other hand, Phil was upset when ex-dopers still recieved praise and attention. WTF!?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to confuse anyone (if they are), I've never heard of this podcast or of Phil Gaimon, but I was referencing listening to Talansky a few different times now. I

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how he can honestly say he's making the change out of his "passion for triathlon". If that were truly the case, then why did he spend the last 8-10 yrs as a pro cyclist??? I think reason #2, i.e. that is personal life (new kid) will become simpler and better, is much closer to the real truth. Just my 0.02...

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can have a passion for something but then choose the money sport instead....
I think pro cycling in Europe becomes a demoralizing grind unless you are winning or getting results. These guys often have 1-2yr contracts, which means they're one injury away from messig up their season and wondering if they're going to be unemployed for the following season.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
You can have a passion for something but then choose the money sport instead....
I think pro cycling in Europe becomes a demoralizing grind unless you are winning or getting results. These guys often have 1-2yr contracts, which means they're one injury away from messig up their season and wondering if they're going to be unemployed for the following season.

I suppose this is true but i still would think that, given the huge amount of effort required to get to and stay at the top or close to the top of any sport, it would be almost impossible to muster the motivation to kill yourself day in, day out, unless you had a huge passion for it. Now perhaps Andrew had a big passion for both cycling and tri to start with, and only chose cycling b/c he thought he'd get a more regular paycheck. I guess this possible but i wonder. In fact, i wonder if Talansky really has the level of motivation needed to push himself relentlessly in the pool and on the road and track running, if he really just wants to be with his kid more. We'll see...:)

Quote Reply

Prev Next