Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
An old Quintana Roo. Project completed!
Quote | Reply
Just picked this up for a song on local eBay, it´s going to be built up and sold on, just wondered if any of the QR people here could tell me a little about it as the item description only went as far as listing the tubeset (Tange).

Apologies for the single, poor quality photo, it´s all I have.
Should be a fun and profitable profit as the Syntace front end alone will sell on for more then cost of the whole thing. I fear it might be a little too small for me anyway but might try riding it in the spring.

Thanks all in advance.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Apr 11, 12 1:00
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kilo! I am going with Kilo.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheers Tibbsie.

´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must post pictures when built up. Very sweet.

Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Home made disc cover on the back, an old 650 shamal on the front..... should be good.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, what are the shifters ? are they the profile twist ones?

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything you said is awesome. Can't wait to see it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
96,97 Kilo; 8 speed gripshift, 650 wheels, original steel fork, 44/55 chainrings.

Those frames all look very small. I had a 55 or 56 that looked tiny under me. It takes a 26.something seatpost. I might have my original wheels out in the garage. I'll look later.

Good Luck with it.

(mine was a fast little bugger, but it handled like crap)

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [stuartaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would imagine the shifters are GripShifts, which everyone on here seems to hate but have always worked well for me, particularly the front shifter which has a really nice ´trim´position.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sweeny, much appreciated mate.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
I would imagine the shifters are GripShifts, which everyone on here seems to hate but have always worked well for me, particularly the front shifter which has a really nice ´trim´position.

Grip Shifters were awesome I loved 'em. Only problem was they were a bit fragile inside and tended to wear out quickly....cheap plastic. My Kilo had thicker tubing and I was going to say it was something between the USA Superform and the Kilo. Then again my USA had a really crazy 80's pastel one off paint job too. Prob a Kilo....enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 Thomson posts in the garage. I think they're 26.6 and 26.8. One is straight and one is lay back, but I don't remember for sure. I'm traveling, but will be home tonight and will check. PM me if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will do, hopefully I will have something in the parts bin that fits too fingers crossed.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QR Superform, maybe '94-'95 (?).

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice ride! That looks exactly like my '98 TeQuilo except my bike cam with a carbon fork. Good luck with this and please keep us updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet this guy Slowman might know what it is...just a hunch
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well yeah, that was the idea.... but I think we´ve tracked down the model and year anyway, so it´s all good.

Should be a fun, easy and profitable build as the older stuff is so easy to work on.

Once again, thanks all. Will report back when the build is finished.

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: An old Quintana Roo. What have we here? [fmacdonald850] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here's my '99 Kilo, race morning this past 25th of September. Of course many upgrades along the way but in the end, the only TT race bike I'll ever need. Still a
great ride, then and now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

QR wheels, Shimano 600 (Ultegra) hubs, Velocity rims

Want them?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong, but seem to recall the Kilo being an aluminium frame, hence the name for the (then extremely light) weight. I recall the Superform being steel, there was the Zero Gravity, what were the other steel bikes? Still toying with the idea of building up an old steel 650c race bike. Any links to a QR model timeline?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd like to see the top tube decal, but i'm guessing special edition, early 90s.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here is a pic of my QR. Don't mean to turn this into a "Guys who need an updated ride" thread. You've got me curious....what did you pay for your new project? Glad Slowman is on this thread; let's see a picture of your top tube decal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think I have a ambrosia, never used 650 sew up rim, if you want it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, huge thanks all for the information, particularly Slowman for chiming in too.

So far I have €70 in this project. The syntace bars are coming off and will be sold separately (should net €35), the rest of the group will be individually sold on and replaced with cheaper stuff from the parts bin, so hopefully I will start the build already slightly in credit.

Just need a wheelset. Sweeny, if you were in Germany I would have those wheels like a shot but as I am Germany I fear the shipping will be prohibitively expensive. Thanks anyway for thinking of me though. Hopefully eBay.de will yield something cheap and servicable.

I´m very, very tempted to try and build a rear wheel cover, following undertheradar´s instructions. Depends if time allows really.

Fully built-up QR bikes seem to go for €260-€300 here, so the market should be strong come the spring.

Photos to be posted as soon as the thing arrives, if anyone is interested. It won´t be the most exciting or exotic build thread on this site but hopefully one of the cheapest.

Cheers all
Simon

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kick ass!!!

Quote Reply

Prev Next