Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amount of sodium in sodium citrate
Quote | Reply
I have found a source for bulk sodium citrate powder. Does anybody know how much sodium is in sodium citrate? For example I know 1 tsp of sodium chloride (table salt) has approximately 2000-2200mg of Sodium depending on source quoted. But I have been unable to find the same information for sodium citrate? Any ideas appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Amount of sodium in sodium citrate [drrafe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drrafe wrote:
I have found a source for bulk sodium citrate powder. Does anybody know how much sodium is in sodium citrate? For example I know 1 tsp of sodium chloride (table salt) has approximately 2000-2200mg of Sodium depending on source quoted. But I have been unable to find the same information for sodium citrate? Any ideas appreciated

depending on if you are getting mono, di, or tri sodium citrate. Sodium is 23g/mol

citric acid is 192g/mol, citrate is 191g/mol (one fewer hydrogen). So if you are getting mono sodium citrate, sodium makes up 23/(191+23)=10.7% of the powder by mass.
Quote Reply
Re: Amount of sodium in sodium citrate [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
drrafe wrote:

depending on if you are getting mono, di, or tri sodium citrate. Sodium is 23g/mol

citric acid is 192g/mol, citrate is 191g/mol (one fewer hydrogen). So if you are getting mono sodium citrate, sodium makes up 23/(191+23)=10.7% of the powder by mass.

Ya, even if you get trisodium citrate, the % sodium (Na) = 26.7% Na. Regular table salt (NaCl) is about 39.3% Na so, if you want max Na, then just use regular table salt. Or is there something special about the citrate that you're interested in???

Also, using 1 cup = 8 oz = 48 teaspoons and 1 lb = 16 oz = 453.6 grams, 1 teaspoon of table salt has about 4.72 grams weight and 1.86 grams or 1860 mg Na at the calculated 39.3% ratio.

Echappist: Not to quibble but my references say citrate = C6H5O7 which ==> 1 Mole = 6*12 + 5*1 + 7*16 = 189 versus your 191. My references indicate that citric acid is C6H8O7 with 3 H+ ions, rather than just one.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply