Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US
Quote | Reply

After surviving another (#7 I think) American Triple T, I challenge that there isn't a harder triathlon race/event in the country.

I knew exactly what to expect, I knew exactly how to train and I knew exactly how to pace. THIS RACE STILL ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS ME! Physically and mentally, there isn't anything else like it!

Huge props to Shannon (slowtwitch handle: hpfman) and crew on organizing another incredible weekend!!

The date change for next year 2-4 June might make it a little easier for us northerners to train for and it might warm up that lake a little but in all honestly, I don't know if either of those things will help much!

See you next year?

Corey

Last edited by: MI TRI: May 23, 16 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife did it and won the women's solo race there a few years back. Yes - a VERY hard, unique, original and cool race/event.

It should have more profile and cred than it does. It's unfortunately still a bit of an underground thing that only those in the know seem to do.

If it's not your racing focus, it is an outstanding long training weekend for any kind of racing later in the year.

The bike loop they use for 1/2 iron distance stage is simply amazing. One of the nicest, 45K bike loops I've ever ridden.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I'm always harping on how cool this event is, so I'm glad to hear someone else say it!
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should come back again!

They've changed the courses around a bit, and not to make it easier.

The 1/2 bike is 1 big "loop", which looks more like an infinity sign, more or less the original loop, but a loop out to the west that catches the last 2 big climbs on 125 on the way back to T2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was my first ever Triple-T! I have never experienced such an amazing event and I can't wait to come back. Beautiful course and the camaraderie was incredible.

0:27:04 Sprint
2:34:30 Oly #1
2:51:53 Oly #2
5:49:52 70.3

So stoked on a great racing weekend! 10,000 ft of climbing on the bike and run total, and my buddy and I added the climb back up to the lodge after every single race.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: May 23, 16 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sitting on the plane now heading back to LA after doing this year's Triple T. Second time after doing it for the first time in 2014.

Had a total blast, was in slightly better fitness this time and raced it hard. 27' for stage 1, 2:29 stage 2, 2:42 stage 3 and 5:05 stage 4. Took 3rd place in my age group at both olympis and 2nd for the 70.3. Final standings 3rd in AG 40-44.
Last edited by: Benv: May 23, 16 12:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI TRI wrote:

After surviving another (#7 I think) American Triple T, I challenge that there isn't a harder triathlon race/event in the country.

The race looks really cool and id love to do it. But I wouldn't call it the hardest triathlon in the country at all.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job man!

Maybe next year for me.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 up huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it last year and I'm really looking forward to another go at it next year. Great event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
MI TRI wrote:

The race looks really cool and id love to do it. But I wouldn't call it the hardest triathlon in the country at all.

I'm guessing some of the double anvil triathlons out there might be more difficult
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to all TTT finishers! I'm a 7-time finisher and have also finished a dozen IMs. High heat and humidity makes me suffer more than hills and cold water, so TTT wasn't the hardest tri I've ever done, but it was close during the years when the temps were warmer and there was little or no rain. Going into TTT in 2007 undertrained and injured, I suffered so much getting to the finish line on Sunday that I haven't returned.

A must do for all serious long-distance triathletes.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 23, 16 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to look up Double Anvil triathlons. So sounds like 2, 3 or 4x iron distance. I guess the Triple T weekend is more like a regular tri and less like an insane ultra. Triple T is tough because you beat yourself in small seemingly manageable parts before racing a really tough 1/2!

Maybe to better quantify how difficult Sunday is: 4hr 1/2IM guys race the Triple T 1/2IM in 4:45!

Curious to know of any races that add that kinda time delta to the standard? St George 1/2? St Croix 1/2? Other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other = Savageman.

And they have an Oly you can do on Sat, and then the Half on Sun.
I can't even imagine that. I was shattered after "just" the Half.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first (and only?) TTT and it was spectacular...I've done six IMs (including WI, MT, LP) and fifteen 70.3s and this was harder than them all. The 70.3 bike alone was as tough as some 112 mile IM bikes. And the two Olympic bikes (one of which is 27 miles) are no easy feat by any means. Trying to keep from pushing too hard on the Olympic races so there's sufficient gas in the tank for the 70.3 is a challenge for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chuy wrote:
MI TRI wrote:

Not that you would, you know, want to experience something before commenting on it. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious...considering the description I've read of the bike courses, do many--if not most--participants just use a road bike, or is a tri bike still preferred?
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done them all on both bikes

Tri bike is faster on all of those courses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it, and I've done a bunch of IMs. They are both hard but without a precise definition of what "hard" is, I'm not sure you can say which is harder.

Would doing 8 1/2 5ks over 3 days be harder than a marathon? I'm not sure, but I know it would hurt. I think it's the same comparison. Breaking an IM into pieces leads you to going harder. Not to mention, if it were a stand alone Ironman, it would be one of the hardest on the circuit because of the terrain.
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
chuy wrote:
MI TRI wrote:

Not that you would, you know, want to experience something before commenting on it. ;)

I guess youre right, looked into the race and does look legit. Actually now looking at how I can fit it into my schedule next year.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how many of you got chased by dogs this weekend? I got chased once on Saturday during the PM olympic by a German shepherd or Belgian Malinois - and 3 times during the 70.3 of which one time there were two retrievers running towards and alongside me.

The race however was very well organized again and it remains such a must do event. Kudos to Shannon and HFP Racing for what they can actually deliver for such a low cost. And the swag was incredible, with a race singlet, hat, and best of all, finisher's jacket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first year. It was super hard but I had a blast. I thought it was tougher than the ironman I did in 2012 but I wasn't in great shape for TTT. I'm not sure if it's the hardest triathlon but you get, the biggest bang for your buck, from this race. It was an awesome training weekend. 4 triathlons in 3 days for a total of 140miles and they feed us after each race. Also, you can't beat the camaraderie at this race. I plan on going back next year.
Quote Reply
Re: American Triple-T = Hardest Triathlon in US [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of dogs :)

I've done the race 10 times, and every year there are dogs. Part of what makes the race interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After now just doing this race, every other race looks like crap.

Just amazing.

An hour after the last race I thought "never again".

Driving home I thought "holy shit I'm going back".

The best racing experience I've ever had (and athlinks shows 96 races).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first time doing the event and I had a lot of fun....but Sunday morning before the half I really didn't feel like doing another race! It's a different challenge than doing an Ironman, not easier or harder, just different.

I really enjoyed the camaraderie in the race. You get to know the people you're racked around, and then you pull for each other when you see them on the course. I don't know if I'll be back next year but I'll definitely do it again.
Quote Reply