Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Cervelo P2. I'll occasionally see posts discussing different cockpits but I guess since I'm still a relative newbie compared to many here I'm not clear why I would consider upgrading my cockpit. My bike just has Profile Design T4 Wing aero bars and T2 Wing base bar. I'm sure the better cockpits are more lightweight and have some aerodynamic improvements but other than that am I missing anything? I supposed since mine seem comfortable enough I don't feel like there's any reason I would upgrade. Am I wrong? And I am 100% certain my current cockpit is not the thing preventing me from getting to the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your comment is a good one and also good to point out that you might not need the latest and greatest things. I know a lot of people are on here and probably shoot for podiums but I think a good number of people also do it as a way to stay fit. If you are fine with not upgrading it then dont do it! its an expensive sport so I only add things if I find a good deal and can justify it.. If the bike does what you want then why would you upgrade it?

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great question and I'm glad you asked. I bought a 2016 P2 last year and oddly enough spent some time on the Zipp website looking at the various Vuka bars and all that goes with it. I couldn't come up with any definitive answer, but like you, my basebar is now what's holding me back. I'm curious to see what others have to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I upgraded to an ADR ultimate cockpit simply because the set up I had previously wasn't adjustable enough to get me fully comfortable.

There is probably an Aero advantage and it was a bit lighter but when you're a Clydesdale it's pretty much irrelevant as you need to punch a massive hole in the air yourself a couple of watts extra doesn't really matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a P2 in 2007 when I was still fast enough to be at the very pointy end. It came with Aluminum Vision bars. Rode and raced that bike until the frame broke. Cervelo honored the lifetime warranty (kind of blew me away given the miles and years on the bike) and sent me a P3 frame. Old and slower now but still riding the same bars. I can't see any reason to upgrade. I like the look of pad risers, but if your position is good on the bars you have and you do a reasonable job of routing your cables out of the wind, I'd venture it would be hard to find any bought speed from what you've got.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to hear what the time savings are for a high end cockpit vs. the stock cockpit that comes on a p2 are. If anyone has that info, pls share/post/link.

For me, $1000 for less than a minute over a 40K tt aren't worth it. I know that for others, it is. It's all good.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similarly, I had a 2008 P2 that died in a crash with a car. Car owner's insurance replaced with a 2014 P2 that I don't think is as fast. Or maybe I'm just older and slower. I still have the Vision bars and have thought about swapping but haven't bothered.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We looked at a Zipp vuka base bar (UCI legal) vs a profile prosvet or svet (the non UCI one). The savings was something like 3-4w iirc
We've also seen the old Al Vision tech bars beat some fancy carbon bars that came stock on the specialized shiv about 3-4 years ago. Again in the 3-5w range

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [Spoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a strong suspicion that my vision bars from the 2009 P2 worked very well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig gives some data with by comparing a p2 with the alpha x against a p5-six.

http://www.tririg.com/...mp;page=windtunnel_1

They did not convert to time savings though, just showed that the p2 tested better against a p5-six when the p2 had the alpha x. Aerogeeks published a first look article on the alpha x and commented that they can't wait to get their hands on one to do their own testing...but that was 2 years ago so don't hold your breath ;)

Would be interested to see any other data out there on other bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've seen that information from TriRig. They basically state that you can make your p2 a superbike with their alphax system.

thanks for the info, desertdude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason I switched out my original base bar purely for the fact of more numerous positions with the Zipp bars. Aero savings was just a net benefit in my eyes. Being more comfortable was what I was after. I didnt see 3-4 watts as a massive deal but being a better fit while on a bike for 5 plus hours was a big benefit :)
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A comfortable fit would be the most logical reason I could think of. I'm actually getting ready to go through another bike fit on my P2 as I've started to have some saddle soreness. The cockfit seems fine. I've never adjusted it from initial fitting. It's never given me major problems. Of course, if I upgraded to a different one maybe then I would notice what I was missing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pee too ;)- with the vuka Aero on
it. You missing anything probably not. The only reason I did it was I was building the bike up from a frame and had the opportunity to purchase this at a really good price via slow-twitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike. The configuration limits how close I can get the arm pads together. Ideally, I'd have them closer for aero and comfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are their savings from one front end set up to another, the bars themselves - Yes there is, but they are relativity small

But BY FAR the biggest savings will be from whatever front end bar set up puts YOU in the optimal aerodynamic position, and in a reasonably comfortable fashion, so that you can hold that position for long and extended periods of time!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cockfit is important.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
cockfit is important.

Cockfit is very underrated . Too many guys get wrapped up in stem length and don't pay enough attention to overall fit
Last edited by: Fishbum: May 4, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
We looked at a Zipp vuka base bar (UCI legal) vs a profile prosvet or svet (the non UCI one). The savings was something like 3-4w iirc
We've also seen the old Al Vision tech bars beat some fancy carbon bars that came stock on the specialized shiv about 3-4 years ago. Again in the 3-5w range
I'm curious which bar was 3-4w faster? It wasn't clear, at least to me, which was faster. Based on your second statement about the vision bars are you saying the UCI legal Zipp Vuka base bar beat the non UCI legal profile svet I'm inclined to think it was the Vuka.

Also was this the Vuka Bull http://www.zipp.com/...9yxdim10a91vd4p8wsnl or one of the newer bars in the Vuka line like the Vuka Aero http://www.zipp.com/...9yxdim10a91vd4p8wsnl. I'm asking becuase I currently have a Vuka Aero on order.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Are their savings from one front end set up to another, the bars themselves - Yes there is, but they are relativity small

But BY FAR the biggest savings will be from whatever front end bar set up puts YOU in the optimal aerodynamic position, and in a reasonably comfortable fashion, so that you can hold that position for long and extended periods of time!

What he said.

I've got a 2009 P2C and have just fitted a new cockpit - Tririg Sigma X stem which is beautiful, but spendy (to go with the Omega X brakes, which are beautiful, but spendy...). Also fitted Profile Aeria basebar with T1 aerobars - which was after a bike fit as the standard Vision bars didn't have the adjustability I needed to get a good position.

It's cleaned up the cable routing a bit, and looks good (for a non-superbike front end), and was cheaper than getting a new bike. How does it ride? Don't know, as I'm injured just now so I seem to be spending most of my time messing around with bikes instead of riding them :0(
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found my bars on ebay for a hundred bucks. 2nd hand Tririg Sigma XF and Omega brakes. Drilling a couple of holes in my frame didn't cost much. Did splash out on some fancy segmented housing for my cables. But still pretty cheap.

I bet I'm not giving much up to a superbike.

Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks fast fast fast.

Even with those two wheel bags flapping in the wind :o)
Quote Reply
Re: Am I missing anything my not upgrading my P2 cockpit [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What bar is that? I am looking at upgrading and that is slick.
Quote Reply