Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alternatives to swim skin
Quote | Reply
Getting ready for Chattanooga, temps may not be wetsuit legal and I don't want to spend $300 on a swin skin.

Would a tight rash guard over my tri top work? Anyone try this as an alternative? And I suppose I would have to cut the sleeves off.
Last edited by: Rover24: Sep 11, 14 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to swim skin [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just use your regular tri-suit. I prefer a one-piece for non-wetsuit swims. It was designed for swimming, I think a rash guard is designed to protect you on a surf board.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to swim skin [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Just use your regular tri-suit. I prefer a one-piece for non-wetsuit swims. It was designed for swimming, I think a rash guard is designed to protect you on a surf board.

It may have been designed to swim in, but its not designed well for swimming. The pockets that catch water, low cut front to catch water. I would like to cover that stuff up like a swim skin does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto Liftfoil Tri Suit! Its awesome and the chamois provides some buoyancy.

DeSoto claims: "Our tests have shown varied improvements of swim times of about 2-4 seconds per 100 meters, depending on the individual, over a conventional swimsuit. This translates to 1'00" for 1500 meters and 2'40" for a swim of 4000 meters. Of course, as with all our products, we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Test it for yourself. If you do not find it performs to your expectations, you may return it for a complete refund."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some crude testing in the pool using a tempo trainer to try to maintain some consistency, my separate top didn't do well. See how the rash guard does against your tri suit. In any event I would definitely try the rash guard out in training before using it in a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump

Looking at Oneil top for $25 that says rash guard spf protection...thinking this might also be good jellyfish protection for IM Cozumel. Any luck with these?

I agree on the pockets catching water on tri tops..used in Cabo and it was definitely catching water too much.
Last edited by: Tri Skier: Nov 24, 15 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to swim skin [Tri Skier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find someone selling a used speed suit? I have one for sale in the classifieds but if you are looking for a specific one I am sure you can post and plenty of people would have them to sell.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Alternatives to swim skin [Tri Skier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up just going topless, its a little bit tough to get tri top on in t1 but probably the same amount of time to get a swim skin or other product off.

I haven't done Coz but the jelly fish at IMLF the 2 yrs I did it looked close but I never actually touched one, if I did I didn't feel it.
Quote Reply