Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report
Quote | Reply
I had the opportunity to race the long distance Alpe d’Huez triathlon this past Wednesday, and I figured that I would break down a) how to get there, and b) the race. It is truly an incredible experience, and if you have the opportunity to go, you definitely should. If you want a super complete report with lots of pictures and details about my trip, you can click the link in my signature at the bottom of this post.

a) Details on getting there and such:
To get to Alpe d’Huez from the US: The easiest way to do it is to fly to Paris, and then rent a car and drive. Travelling with a bike makes both of those things tricky. I flew with British Airways, where you get one bag free, and I have a ruster hen house (two bags- one for the frame, one for the wheels). British Airways ended up losing my bike frame bag, and when I got it, it was broken, so I ended up borrowing a bike, but hopefully you will have better luck than I.

If you don’t want to rent a car, you can easily take a combination of the train and bus to Alpe d’Huez. There is a train station at the airport that will take you to Paris. You change stations in Paris (about a 15 euro cab ride), arrive at a town called Grenoble, and then take the Transisere bus from Grenoble to Alpe d’Huez with one transfer. Cost of round trip train ticket: about 80 euros (lots of variability here), 5.80 euro each way on the bus (up and down).

You can stay in a variety of places, but since I didn’t have a car, I stayed at the top of Alpe d’Huez, where packet pickup/bike finish/run start/run finish is. Rates at hotels in the summer are reasonable, I paid about ~50 euros a night for a room with breakfast included. I stayed here. I would highly recommend the place. You can do groceries in town (or in Bourg d’Oisans, which is at the base of Alpe d’Huez, where it will be cheaper and with higher quality food), and if you ask the staff at the hotel, they will let you use their kitchen to cook.

b) Race report and details.

Basic details: Swim 1.3 miles, Ride 70 miles with 14,000 feet of climbing, run 13 miles at 6,000 feet of elevation. The ride is point to point, which means you have two transitions-one by the lake, and the other at the top of Alpe d’Huez.

The swim takes place in a reservoir that is fed by snow melt, so the water is cold- it was 56 degrees on race day. Wetsuits are mandatory. At races in France, they don’t give you a countdown to the swim starting, and their races are mass starts. They give you an x minute warning, and then x minutes later, a gun goes off. No ready set go, just a gunshot. The swim is 2.2km. I swam smoothly, not wanting to blow up at any point.

After the swim, I dried off as much as I could, put on my jacket, and headed out. The published course ride profile can be found here. Here is my strava link. Disclaimer before you judge- the past six weeks I have been living in a pancake flat area, and I haven’t done any climbing. You can probably tell.

The first 15 miles are flat and uneventful. A fair number of riders moved by me. The first climb is at mile 15, and goes until mile 25. Then there is one more climb that is not bad in the middle, and then Alpe d’Huez.

As you move through the towns that are along the course, the residents come out and cheer. Not like the Tour, but still awesome. Kids yelling allez, ringing cowbells, blowing whistles.

Alpe d’Huez is incredible, and incredibly challenging. You can’t really have an appreciation for it until you are on it. There are 21 switchbacks, each of them numbered, and with a name(s) of famous cyclist(s) (some have two names). The first four are by far the worst. The rest don’t get substantially easier, but once you are on the climb, you don’t stop. The last four become more difficult as there is a substantial amount of wind.

After reaching the top of Alpe d’Huez, you run. The run is a mixture of trails and road, with some small hills. The course is three laps, with three aid stations on each lap. The first lap sucked, because I didn’t really know about the hills or where the aid stations were. On laps two and three, I started to feel better.

Coming in with no real goals other than to finish, I placed 115th out of ~1000. There are some incredible athletes out there who were crushing the bike.

I have to say that the race was one of the best that I have ever been a part of. The aid stations were well staffed and had plenty of food and drink. The post race food was good.

Repeating myself-if you have the chance to do it, take it. You can spend several days in the Alpes, or see stages of the tour before you make your way to the race.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Last edited by: beachedbeluga: Aug 1, 14 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing; nice photos in the blog version, too!

Nice job at one of the more challenging races you could bite off...

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol I like the French guy on Strava asking if you took the polka dot jersey. This sounds like one of those races that would be really rewarding to finish. The non-existing countdown for the swim also sounds like an interesting experience.

115th is a great finish congrats!

P.S. going to check out the pics on your blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report, interesting to read the experience of a non-European. I'm considering the race for 2015 having done the Marmotte cyclosportive (178km of cycling ending in Alpe d'Huez) four times, so I am familiar with the area. Doing a triathlon must be epic.

By the way, there is fresh milk in the fridge in the supermarché's, but you definitely have to look for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha yeah- I am staying in France and training with a small club here, I know the guy- taking advantage of my job as a teacher and spending a few weeks in France.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read through a bit of your blog and I have to say I'd be very curious to hear more about your experience in France.

Some of the similiarities and differences to my racing in Germany are interesting. There are age group awards here but race photos are not always free. Otherwise the afternoon starts are also normal here as well as the clubs in every city and town and closed roads.

And is there no Nutella in the U.S. or something?
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best comparison I can make between France and the US in regards to nutella is that we treat peanut butter the way the french treat nutella and vice versa. Nutella is slowly expanding, but when I was younger, I had no idea what it was. In France- there is a big section for Nutella, and one tiny part for a couple of containers of Nutella. Flip that, and you have the US.

Most of the races I have done are small- around 300 competitors. I have done 6 tris (including Alpe d'Huez), and one open water swim. With the exception of Alpe d'Huez, every one of them has posted free photos to their site. None of them had age group awards, but some had division awards- junior (younger than 23 I think), senior (older than 23), and master's (not sure what the age cut off for this is).

Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
Thanks for the report, interesting to read the experience of a non-European. I'm considering the race for 2015

DO IT.

Amazing race. Did it in 2012.

My experience as a non-European was a study in poor restraint with regards to riding every climb in sight prior to the race, and also a comedy of naivete with regard to travel logistics, but that's half the fun :)

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to ask the question,
Road bike or tri bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report [Alpinist909] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpinist909 wrote:
I have to ask the question,
Road bike or tri bike?

Depends.

I chose road. I wished I had clip-ons for some of the sections. The descents, especially into Bourg d'Oisons, I was glad to have drops.

That said, saw plenty of full on TT bikes, even disc wheels.

I think road with clip-ons unless you are badass bike handler on your TT bike . There is just so much climbing and fast descending.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpe d'Huez Triathlon Race Report [Alpinist909] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the archives! And great question.

I rode TT, and it's the only race I've ever done where "road or TT?" is really up for debate.

You could pick up a couple of minutes on the 2 descents with a road bike, but a prerequisite for realizing those time gains is having balls of steel.

Also, with the bike course ending significantly higher than it starts, there's the opportunity to do weight weenie math.

For me, though, I was riding 100% TT bike at the time, so I had no handling concerns, and it was the right choice for me on the day.

Perhaps another good question to ask is how you choose to pace the bike course, as that is probably more consequential to your race than which bike you choose :)

Eliot
Quote Reply