Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes
Quote | Reply
The All World Athlete induction notices are hitting emails, which means I get to go through my annual social media cleansing of those people who issue self-congratulatory posts about their "achievement".

Do those of you who are bragging about this not know that this is one of the biggest jokes in triathlon? Or do you know it and just flaunt it anyways to impress those who don't know better?

If you don't know, let me clue you in: this is a frequent fliers club. The AWA badge is as unexceptional and unimpressive as your Costco card.

Beyond that, it's such a classic money grab from the company that couldn't give less of a shit about your hopes and dreams. This is just another way WTC is giving us crass commerce and telling us it's achievement. Textbook.

I am personally embarrassed to be a part of this club -- it reveals how much money I've let WTC leech out of me in the past year. I sure won't be putting the bumper sticker on my car. In fact, there's a guy I know who slashes tires on cars like that. Just giving you guys a heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you 100%... but I like the line cutting perk during athlete check-in. Other than that I couldn't give a crap.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Beyond that, it's such a classic money grab from the company that couldn't give less of a shit about your hopes and dreams. This is just another way WTC is giving us crass commerce and telling us it's achievement. Textbook.
blah blah troll gonna troll.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why so salty? Just ignore it. You'll save some stress and improve performance in those pricey races.

They asked for my address - what do they mail, a plaque? While I agree with you on all points, I like free swag. Unless it's embarrassing swag.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only bronze, eh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey fucknozzle, don't be bad mouthing my Costco card. I love Costco.

That said, I couldn't agree with you more on the AWA thingamajob.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
In fact, there's a guy I know who slashes tires on cars like that. Just giving you guys a heads up.

Does said douchebag also throw sticks in the spokes of fellow racers wearing AWA kits?

I'm pretty much with you in theory, and see the litany of annoying posts on my FB feed of the "badges," and then read all the congratulatory messages from folks who think the poster is actually top whatever percent, but honestly but so what? If this is the thing in life that drives you nuts, you've got a good life!

That said, I don't really have an issue with the frequent buyer aspect of the program. I don't sign up for races in efforts to increase points or however it is they track it, I sign up for races that interest me, and if it somehow benefits me, all the better. I'll take a shorter check in line, or an earlier wave any day of the week.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jan 13, 17 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

I am personally embarrassed to be a part of this club -- it reveals how much money I've let WTC leech out of me in the past year. I sure won't be putting the bumper sticker on my car. In fact, there's a guy I know who slashes tires on cars like that. Just giving you guys a heads up.

I know how you feel. But honestly I don't give WTC my money to be a member of the club they just force it on me. I do it because I love it. Let your hate go Publius - you will be a better person for it. Now where did I put my tyre slasher...............

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
millennials have their participation trophies, Gen X and baby boomers have their AWA.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pknight wrote:
millennials have their participation trophies, Gen X and baby boomers have their AWA.

To be fair, AWAs get participation trophies, too, when they finish their race.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Last edited by: LundyLund: Jan 13, 17 13:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about this program, but googling their website - do you have to be top 10% of your AG to be in it? Or can you get it by some other non-performance method?

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/all-world-athlete.aspx#axzz4VgKk1DtS
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Hey fucknozzle, don't be bad mouthing my Costco card. I love Costco.

That said, I couldn't agree with you more on the AWA thingamajob.

Seriously, I mean I don't have Costco within 25 miles of me now, I only have a BJs and it really blows.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jan 16, 17 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I agree with you 100%... but I like the line cutting perk during athlete check-in. Other than that I couldn't give a crap.

ABSOLUTELY. I like this perk.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more you race, the more points you get. Like 2900 points for a 12:50 in AZ or 1700 points for a 13:57.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more events you complete, the more points you accumulate. So, a triathlete could be ranked higher than an overall winner (that only raced 1 IM) if they completed 2 IMs and scored decently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got silver, just missed gold.
I know you wanted me to share that with you.
Have a nice day!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best backdoor brag ever about making the coveted AWA club. Well done sir.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
I got silver, just missed gold.
I know you wanted me to share that with you.
Have a nice day!
Oh snap!

I got gold, wanna hold it? Smile
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
The more you race, the more points you get. Like 2900 points for a 12:50 in AZ or 1700 points for a 13:57.
d00d wrote:
The more events you complete, the more points you accumulate. So, a triathlete could be ranked higher than an overall winner (that only raced 1 IM) if they completed 2 IMs and scored decently.

Onle three races count, so 15000 points is the limit.
Last edited by: Nicko: Jan 13, 17 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: this is not a backdoor brag.

I did three WTC races in 2016.

In IMTX, I broke my fibula due to a stress fracture on the run, didn't realize it was that bad, and walked/ ran home into something like 50th place in my AG.

In a 70.3, I was doing well, had a mechanical problem that caused me to lose about 45 minutes waiting for neutral race support.

At IMMD, I finished a few places outside of the KQ neighborhood.

I considered this a crap season with only one decent race. Somehow I got gold status. I guess the points must be done off raw time. That means having a shortened course, like both TX and MD did, means you get a lot of unearned points.

It reminds me of the saying: "any club that would have me as a member is one I don't want to join."
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your points are in relation to your AG winner. So the winner gets 5000 points for an IM and 3500 for a 70.3. Every second behind the winner is less a certain number of points.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I guess the points must be done off raw time.
True. My Tahoe result was way slower than my other races and the points were way lower as well, even though my relative age group placement was higher.
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. AWA is bullshit. Do people actually care about this stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: All World Athlete Program: one of triathlon's biggest jokes [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a little more thought was put into it, it could be somewhat meaningful.

Also, the rewards for the most part are laughably pointless: logo on the bib, optional swim cap you look like a DB for wearing, cheap luggage tag. There is a small amount of value to the registration line cut and pre-sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I don't know anything about this program, but googling their website - do you have to be top 10% of your AG to be in it? Or can you get it by some other non-performance method?

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/all-world-athlete.aspx#axzz4VgKk1DtS

Yes you do actually have to be top 10% and if you do 3 or more races it greatly increases your chances. From what I've seen you have to finish all 3 of those races under 13 hours for Ironman or under 5:30 for 70.3 to qualify in my age group for silver, which I got. Not sure what the disdain from the OP is for, for a lot of people this is a goal, and an accomplishment. Perhaps because if you only do 1 Ironman you may not even get bronze if you finish in 10 hours. So the OP may have done a 10 hour race and gets annoyed that all these 13 hour racers are bragging on social media. So what, it still proves consistency in performance even if you don't consider 3 Ironmans under 13 hours an accomplishment. The OP is a douchebag.
Quote Reply

Prev Next