Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alaskaman Support Crew person
Quote | Reply
Got a slot for Alaskaman. Thinking of convincing my brother to do the support crew part. He’s not an endurance athlete. More of a golfer. Could run 7 flat miles I’m sure. Anyone with experience in this race think this is a really bad idea? Should I find a knowledgeable and experienced person for the support crew.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaskaman Support Crew person [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run course section on the mountain is no joke. You will not be "running", but your support crew needs to be in good shape. It was close to a 30% grade for the first mile. The downhill section wasn't a break either. Loose rocky footing in some areas.

My support crew was a runner. She had qualified for Boston in the past, and she said it was the hardest thing she had ever done. She had no trouble keeping up with me and making sure I was moving forward. I did see a few other people who had their support person make them stop for a rest. I am glad my support crew was always able to run/walk when I wanted to. I needed to stop enough myself, but if she had needed to stop for a breather when I was still able to be moving forward that would have been mentally tough.

Bottom line, think long and hard about your support person for the mountain. It is a challenging hike the average competitor. as long as your crew is in shape for a tough hike you will be fine. They don't need to be an endurance athlete, just in shape.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Alaskaman Support Crew person [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Is any non-professional golfer in shape? Kidding. Not kidding.
Quote Reply