Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25
Quote | Reply
So in a positive step for cyclists, Alaska Airlines, who also just recently purchased Virgin Airlines has dropped their bike fees down to $25 and as FREE for members of MVP status.

Since my fiancé moved to Alaska 2 years ago and working on the whole long-distance thing, I have become pretty familiar with Alaska Airlines. They have great flights, great service, and though they do not have the most extensive routes, they do fly to Hawaii and have great routes on the west coast. It isn't as cheap as Southwest, but saving $100 on a round trip flight with your bike does go a long way.

Petty happy to see this as a positive in the airline industry for the consumer.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/...ts-equipment-update/
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thats amazing. I am taking them to penticton. I have 2 bikes. Now if I just only have bike boxes, ......

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$25 each way is all I paid on Alaskan Air in Jun 2016. It would be nice if this put downward pressure on other carriers to lower their bike fees, but as you noted, Alaskan Air doesn't have enough market penetration to influence what Delta and United are charging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE Alaska Air. My wife and I fly with them to Hawaii every year.
My wife got the Alaska Air credit card which gives you 25000 miles to start and a $99 ANYWHERE companion fare each year. Best deal!
We earned miles on our Iceland Air flights to Europe too.

Only problem is they are so popular you have to book really early for the high volume routes like Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
$25 each way is all I paid on Alaskan Air in Jun 2016. It would be nice if this put downward pressure on other carriers to lower their bike fees, but as you noted, Alaskan Air doesn't have enough market penetration to influence what Delta and United are charging.

On the same token Southwest just gave me a $75 voucher for being stuck on the tarmac because of weather for 3 hours a couple weeks ago.

It was no fault of them and they couldn't control mother nature but they still did something to have us happy on the flight.

Hopefully the more these airlines push this pressure on the bigger carriers, it will elicit more changes in the industry. I feel like I at least have more options for not feeling like I am being held hostage at airports in booking flights as much anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I LOVE Alaska Air. My wife and I fly with them to Hawaii every year.
My wife got the Alaska Air credit card which gives you 25000 miles to start and a $99 ANYWHERE companion fare each year. Best deal!
We earned miles on our Iceland Air flights to Europe too.

Only problem is they are so popular you have to book really early for the high volume routes like Hawaii.

Same here. We fly them to Hawaii every winter.

Was going to go to IMAZ with SWA. Now Alaska is clear choice. The airfare might be $10 or $20 higher but saving $100 on the bike box more than compensates.

Other fly-to race left this year is international. :( Whoever I fly with will rip me off proper for the bike box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's hope the others catch on, Delta got me for $150 this morning despite status:(

It has been a very subjective enforcement with Delta, about a 50/50 shot, Southwest has actually let me slide as much as Delta with no status.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2010 tarmac delay rule subjects airlines to fines up to $27,500 PER PASSENGER if they are on the tarmac for over 3 hrs (domestic) regardless of the reason. So if they actually broke the 3 hour mark on the technical clock, then a $75 voucher is chicken shit. I would have asked for a lot more or complained to the Dept of Transportation.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The 2010 tarmac delay rule subjects airlines to fines up to $27,500 PER PASSENGER if they are on the tarmac for over 3 hrs (domestic) regardless of the reason. So if they actually broke the 3 hour mark on the technical clock, then a $75 voucher is chicken shit. I would have asked for a lot more or complained to the Dept of Transportation.

Interesting didn't know. No need to complain $75 was good compensation to read through a good book while sitting in a chair watching a driving rainstorm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
So in a positive step for cyclists, Alaska Airlines, who also just recently purchased Virgin Airlines has dropped their bike fees down to $25 and as FREE for members of MVP status.

Since my fiancé moved to Alaska 2 years ago and working on the whole long-distance thing, I have become pretty familiar with Alaska Airlines. They have great flights, great service, and though they do not have the most extensive routes, they do fly to Hawaii and have great routes on the west coast. It isn't as cheap as Southwest, but saving $100 on a round trip flight with your bike does go a long way.

Petty happy to see this as a positive in the airline industry for the consumer.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/...ts-equipment-update/

Just to give you guys some context, the COO of Alaska Airlines, Ben Minicucci is a good college friend of mine. We played all kinds of sports together and I have no clue if he influenced this, but he is an 11 hour Ironman Canada finisher (actually 11 hours and 22 seconds...I told him he blew the sub 11 by stopping in the porta and not just peeing his try suit in quest for sub 11) back in 1995 and done all the big climbs in Europe: Galibier, Alp d'Huez, Stelvio, Gavia, Ventoux etc etc. The guy is up at 4:30 am every day doing ST approved trainerroad workouts jacking up his FTP, running, lifting weights (not ST approved) and trains hard like the rest of us before he shows up at work at 7 am to run his airline. The guy was a top soccer player when we were at Royal Military College of Canada and was deployed in Gulf War 1 to the forward operating base in Doha Qatar with his squadron of C-130 Herc aircraft and was cramming in training runs around Scud Missile alerts etc....so the guy "gets" our lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. I am another HUGE Alaska Airlines fan. I just got MVP status, and it's awesome. Great to see that they are taking care of people living our lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
Good to know. I am another HUGE Alaska Airlines fan. I just got MVP status, and it's awesome. Great to see that they are taking care of people living our lifestyle.

I really don't know if the COO living our lifestyle has influenced the bike case fees, but I can just share that the guy at the top is a hard core athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DL is horribly inconsistent with everything, much like ASO/TdF.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So let's get this out in the open. To get their Alaskan CC

-$75 annual fee
-Each year companion flys free (less taxes).
-$25 bike box

What am I missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge fan of Alaska. I'll have their highest tier status this year, and a partnership with American lets me get miles for international travel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
So let's get this out in the open. To get their Alaskan CC

-$75 annual fee
-Each year companion flys free (less taxes).
-$25 bike box

What am I missing?

That's about it.

Plus, if you are elite on another airline, it's worth emailing Alaska to see if they will upgrade you to their MVP status.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*Companion flies for $99 plus taxes and fees (first year on the CC they waive the $99), but otherwise you are correct. Makes for a $200 companion ticket when annual fee, taxes, and $99 are taken into account. Still well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can confirm! I flew back from Anchorage with my bike over the weekend and it was $25 (of course they were going to charge me $75 for my overweight bag until I unloaded some stuff out of it...into my bike box)
Quote Reply
Re: Alaska Airlines bike fees....DROP to $25 [flowersofmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do like the dirtbag MTBers do and put your bike in a hockey bag. That way its just equipment.
Quote Reply