Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [exerciseaddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will post a race recap soon. It was everything I thought it would be. Out of my comfort zone, brutal course, spectacular scenery, and a very well run race.

Very low key, no fluff, a nice change from what I'm use to racing. I hope it does well in the future.

310 registered, 198 starters, 147 finishers
Last edited by: spasmus: Jul 16, 17 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
exerciseaddict wrote:
So how did the race go? This is one race recap I'd love to read about from anyone that was there!

Looks like 1/3 of the field were DNS. Seems like a lot of people got caught up in the moment upon registration.

"I can't wait to do that!!!"

Then a couple of months later:
"No way I'm doing that!!!"

55 degree water, 4:30 am swim....."I am instantly in the no way I am doing that camp"....same problem for Norseman, Swissman and the Austria Extreme Tri. I love the bike course options for these races, but the swims make them all a no go right from day 1. More power to all of you into those hard and cold races! I'd rather do events that have a chance to be over 30C and no wetsuit....so definitely prefer the other exteme end which is more in line with my tropical genetics.

Spasmus, looking forward to the report.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of those DNS'. Imagine every one has different reasons for not getting up there. For me, I would've loved to toe the line, but the costs just became way too much to justify the trip. Looked like it met the "epic" billing, and hope to be able to participate someday.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [markwhickman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hats off to Adam Feigh (Feighathlon) on finishing 5th.

On another note, I figured the Iron Cowboy would do better than 34th.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool seeing Crowie run support for one of his guys.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Hats off to Adam Feigh (Feighathlon) on finishing 5th.

Thanks Mike. Had a couple low points in the race that took some rallying. Opened my eyes to both the distance and different demands of racing extreme tris. Plan on doing a race report in the next few days. Don't know if they want me to post it on here or not. Have a bit less footage than usual since my support team was using a camera the film crew gave us. They should have some great promotional footage for the race in the future.

As a note, James looked to be on a road bike with aero bars so I doubt he was going for speed. Though a tt bike would have definitely been the faster choice.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

maybe his elliptical got stuck on the mountain pass

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

This guy is getting up the mountains just fine on his elliptical. I would expect nothing less from the Cowboy. He should smoke this guy:

Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to the recap. Congratulations on the finish!! Probably not a PR :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, no PR. I finished in 13:43 good enough for 14th, but I never felt like this was a race. If my family said I was 100th I would not have known. I wanted something different and got it.

Dev, yes brutal swim. Foggy 55 degree water temp except where the mountain run off spilled into the bay. That water was 49 they said. I shut down after about 50 minutes, I was frozen. Basically doggie paddled to the exit and spent 16+ minutes in T1 while my support changed me into my bike kit. I really thought I was the last one out if the water.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
robgray wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

This guy is getting up the mountains just fine on his elliptical. I would expect nothing less from the Cowboy. He should smoke this guy:

H2ofun did this race???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is my wife' strava with some photos as she crewed one of the athletes (mandatory to have someone with you on second half of marathon)... nearly 5000' in elevation on second half: 1000' elevation gain in the last mile!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1087437110
Last edited by: synthetic: Jul 17, 17 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Pretty cool seeing Crowie run support for one of his guys.

Was definitely cool seeing this. The guy he crewed is a member of Sansego and is the owner of the Bravo Team, I think he finished 7th. Not bad.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [FastFreddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some great images:

http://www.ericwynn.org/Alaskaman/
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan Recchi

https://rustersports.com/...bove-jonathan-recchi

^^^This guy came in 22nd place^^^

it is worth the read...and maybe another write up here on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
Ha, no PR. I finished in 13:43 good enough for 14th, but I never felt like this was a race. If my family said I was 100th I would not have known. I wanted something different and got it.

Dev, yes brutal swim. Foggy 55 degree water temp except where the mountain run off spilled into the bay. That water was 49 they said. I shut down after about 50 minutes, I was frozen. Basically doggie paddled to the exit and spent 16+ minutes in T1 while my support changed me into my bike kit. I really thought I was the last one out if the water.

Did you use neoprene gloves, socks and I assume a neoprene hood? Is this USAT sanctioned, and if not, could one use a water rover wetsuit with 10mm rubber to stay warmer?
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes to all. If I had a do over I would have ditched the gloves. My hands were freezing from the beginning and it felt like I was swimming with kitchen pot holders. I was going to take them off mid swim but didn't want to litter. The booties were good and the cap worked. I was just in there too long. It was billed a 2.67 mile swim, normal IM swim for me is 1:05-1:10, I was in there for 1:39!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was definitely more of a challenge than it looked on paper. I've finished my write up (two actually) on my blog. It's probably way too long to put here though unless it's asked for. Just such an adventure of a race.

Blog is feighathlon.com if anyone cares to read it. They had an awesome film crew there as well that will be releasing some promotional footage in the future.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
It was definitely more of a challenge than it looked on paper. I've finished my write up (two actually) on my blog. It's probably way too long to put here though unless it's asked for. Just such an adventure of a race.

Blog is feighathlon.com if anyone cares to read it. They had an awesome film crew there as well that will be releasing some promotional footage in the future.

Great write up man. Congrats on surviving a tough day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report - you should post it here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome write up!! I got a good insight of how the race went. Thank you! and congratulations!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another race report a bit late but why not...

https://coupleofathletes.wordpress.com/...skawoahman-the-race/
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report - thanks for posting. I live nearby and was boat camping off Resurrection Bay night of race - can't imagine doing an IM distance swim in that chilly water. Awesome job!
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome write up and photos!! That's one tough chick!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next