Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, either way it would be epic. Super fast or super grueling, and it doesn't really matter. Everyone will get their fill on the run.
Last edited by: arpalaian: May 16, 16 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [arpalaian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arpalaian wrote:
Also I'm not sure where you're traveling from but what my wife and I spent to go to Norway and what we have already spent to go to Scotland is already double what Alaska costs, at least from within the US. Totally worth the trip to Europe but Alaska is definately much cheaper. Especially on food and rental cars.
I live IN Alaska...granted in the North Western portion of it. Instate travel would be around $400 RT from Nome to Anchorage. Top it off that July is TOURIST TIME and the cost of everything goes through the roof. I can't even imagine what the lodging would be like down in Seward for this as the town doesn't have that many places and still costs a pretty penny.

For people wanting to see Alaska, this is a destination race. BEAUTIFUL time of year, and beautiful area to be doing it in. But it WON'T be cheap, and logistics will be a pain in the ass.

All that being said, if you had a half I'd do it. I think fulls are for crazy people. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least nobody is going to overheat
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so sure about that. Having the sun up all the times means it gets hot up there. No time for the atmosphere to cool off.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. No. Heat won't be a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so on board with this. I have been hoping for more races like this. I am trying for the Norseman lottery again for 2017 (4th time trying to get in). If I get denied again I would seriously consider this. I look forward to more info... Best of luck with this race!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just some facts about the race director in case someone thinks this might be some fly-by-night operation:

Aaron owns two tris that typically have around 2,000 (with sprint and Olympic)entries, the largest single event sprint in the country, a 5k/10k run race series that has over 10,000 entries, a half marathon series at 6,000 and a kids tri that sold out (a week maybe) at 1,200 entries.

This event will be spectacular.
Last edited by: ajthomas: May 16, 16 19:55
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a round trip ticket for this July from Houston for $600. 2 nights in Seward and one in anchorage for under $200 per night per location. Rental car was about $300 for 3 nights. So flight hotel and car for 3 days was just over $1,000. Just FYI.

Logistics are easy if they follow the bike, flight and hotel info I have on the site while working with our local bike shop and choosing from the numerous hotels we have listed. In the next couple weeks we will go a step further and try and get discount event rates in room blocks. Registration will go on sale and sellout in July of this year 1 year in advance, so we will strongly urge and remind all athletes to make reservations ASAP or risk having to drive further. Even if someone didn't get a room in Girdwood after, the drive to anchorage is 40 min and there's plenty of rooms there. Already working with Millers Landing in Seward to arrange bookings to accommodate everyone. We have thought it out and done the research.
Last edited by: arpalaian: May 16, 16 21:34
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not true
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [tonyalta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Showed this to the wife and we will be registering. Always great to see another independant race starting up!

Seems like a perfect combo for destination vaca and race.

Will we be allowed to carry a gun for bear encounters? (Sort of pink). Orcas?
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No gun but you will be provided with a small little bell to tie to one of your shoes for part of or possibly the entire run. Something locals do and recommend as to not startle the wildlife just in case and even more so to alert other runners and even bikes on some of the trails. Plenty of room but some of the turns are tight. Better safe than sorry.

As for the orcas. More humpback sightings than orcas and I'm not aware of any whale attacks, well, ever.... but the humpbacks are known for cruising the coast and checking out the fishing boats and we will have some as rescue boats that morning so you never know what you'll see. An orca swam under some of us (deep) at Norseman last year, one of the coolest things ever!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a rad looking race! Love the race awards: you'll be getting a finisher shirt (colour depends on your finishing time), some Ulu knife and the three winners will get awarded mining pans. This year's schedule is full, but next year I guess this would be a great reason for the first time Alaska visit.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kgro wrote:
What a rad looking race! Love the race awards: you'll be getting a finisher shirt (colour depends on your finishing time), some Ulu knife and the three winners will get awarded mining pans. This year's schedule is full, but next year I guess this would be a great reason for the first time Alaska visit.

The first race is next year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty awesome. I am coincidentally going on vacation next week and two of our stops are spending 3 nights at the Aleyska resort and 3 nights in Seward. The website for the race gave me some great ideas for workouts to do while I am there. Anybody familiar with this part of Alaska have some other great hikes / bike rides / trail runs / or kayaks to recommend? We are going to spend some days in Anchorage, Aleyska resort, Homer, and Seward and we are renting a car. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing a quick check, it looks like it is better (cheaper) to fly in to Anchorage and then drive to the venue as opposed to flying directly to Seward?

(probably easier for car rentals too.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've driven that route. That would be epic as hell. Alaska is home to the toughest and most insane people I've ever met. Makes Texans look like little babies.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Doing a quick check, it looks like it is better (cheaper) to fly in to Anchorage and then drive to the venue as opposed to flying directly to Seward?

Definitely, AND you won't regret the drive down!!! That is a beautiful stretch of road right there!!

As I said earlier, this will be Tourist season up here, so the road traffic has great potential to be "not fun", but still worthy of the drive. Rental cars are available right there in the airport (real easy to get to) and driving from the AP to Seward is real easy as well. But AGAIN, it's tourist season, so book early!! I can't stress that enough.

For those that race (or do) fulls, and have wanted to come to Alaska...this is perfect for you!!
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
Looks pretty awesome. I am coincidentally going on vacation next week and two of our stops are spending 3 nights at the Aleyska resort and 3 nights in Seward. The website for the race gave me some great ideas for workouts to do while I am there. Anybody familiar with this part of Alaska have some other great hikes / bike rides / trail runs / or kayaks to recommend? We are going to spend some days in Anchorage, Aleyska resort, Homer, and Seward and we are renting a car. Thanks!

I don't live down there anymore, but I will say there are TONS of options for you. Seward has MANY (Mt. Marathon being a fun one), as well as kayaking, and lots of trails. Girdwood (Alyeska) also will have a full trail system. You won't be without options. Hopefully someone will chime in and point you in a few good directions. I will remind you that this IS Alaska, and bears are plentiful so if you go for hikes and such make sure to be prepared (firearm, bears pray, slower running partner, etc...)
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. The drive from Anchorage to Seward is gorgeous, not to be missed.
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FOR SURE fly into Anchorage and drive down. It is a couple hours but a beautiful drive and worth every second. Plus there's our official bike shop "Chain Reaction Cycles" in Anchorage, on the way. That's the last one you'll see. Rental cars aren't too bad. Should be plenty of accommodations as long as people book 9-12 months in advance. If you wait it will fill up.

Ironfan wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove all those roads when there for a work trip and I WILL wow this might be the prettiest ironman in the world. I would not think it would be very hilly. There are not many roads around there and it would be mostly rollers with good pavement. Only thing I would be worried about would be the bugs and cruise ship people..... both tend to show up in july
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrote a little piece about it on the front page - http://www.slowtwitch.com/...treme_Tri_j5780.html

I have to agree, Norseman, Celtman, Alaskaman, Swissman all get a failing grade in the name department. On the other hand, Inferno gets an A+. I feel like these races should all be named something out of Dante...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: AlaskaMan 140.6 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the writeup Jordan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I PMed you so sorry if this is a duplicate, but will there be an age limit on the support runner for the last 6 miles?
Quote Reply

Prev Next