Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airline rule for ruster armored hen house
Quote | Reply
Standard checked baggage on domestic flights cannot have the sum of their length, height and width exceed 62 inches. The armored hen house is about 80, even measuring in the most favorable way. A friend of mine was just charged by United with it and apparently the said, "oh, we know that bag..."

So with the bag being obviously over the standard size, is there some exception they qualify for?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Airline rule for ruster armored hen house [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was flying with one via SouthWest. I get to baggage check and there are 5 guys ahead of me with big, beefy bike cases. So I think, "Well I'm screwed. They are going to think I'm biking with them."
I get to the SW employee and she says, "See, this guy is smart. He broke his bike down and doesn't have to pay any fees."

Moral of the story: it's a crap shoot based on airlines and the employees.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Standard checked baggage on domestic flights cannot have the sum of their length, height and width exceed 62 inches. The armored hen house is about 80, even measuring in the most favorable way. A friend of mine was just charged by United with it and apparently the said, "oh, we know that bag..."

So with the bag being obviously over the standard size, is there some exception they qualify for?

Measuring the length of the hen house at the base that is in contact with the ground, and the height of it from the base to the height is 62 inches. It's like parallellogram-ish, so it is 62.

Hmmm... Did the airlines approve this method of measurement?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Hmmm... Did the airlines approve this method of measurement?

They absolutely do NOT measure this way. The marketing for the case may push for the parallelogram measurement method but I doubt most gate agents have a clue what that means.

I do have to say that with 12 trips logged with my Hen House I've only been charged by, you guessed it, United. I mostly fly Southwest because I can always talk them into not charging me. Also was able to make it past American without a fee.

Bottom line it's a crap shoot whether or not you'll be charged. I improve my odds by flying the true friendly skies of Southwest whenever possible.
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Apr 19, 17 4:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one for awhile and like others have said it was hit and miss on whether I got charged a fee. In the end, I decided the time and effort required to use a Ruster wasn't worth it if I wasn't guaranteed to avoid the bike fees. I sold it and now use a Scicon and have been pleased with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline rule for ruster armored hen house [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which model do you have now?
Quote Reply
Re: Airline rule for ruster armored hen house [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
Which model do you have now?

Scicon Aerocomfort - the road version, not TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline rule for ruster armored hen house [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it legal to advertise this as a bag that is within the size limits? Seems at best they can say, "well, it's smaller than others so you might be able to fool the agent"

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it matters what bike bag/case you use it will be up to the airlines and the employee working on how they enforce the rules.

Case in point I have a scicon soft case that easily exceeds the 62 linear inch rule. But with my bike and wheels inside it weighs right at 40 pounds. When I flew United with it they charged me for a bike, I believe it was $150 internationally. But same bike bag on Allegiant (who is known for gouging) was $50 because they weighed it in under their oversized limit and didn't bother with measuring the linear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. It's a lesson I learned the hard way as well. I've used my armored Hen House about 6 times and mostly been able to emerge unscathed. Once, United measured and it's obviously bigger than the limit for regular luggage. Just like FedEx or UPS, they measure at the largest points. Go ahead try to debate them on it. The other gotcha was Delta. I know they are notorious for not giving a fuck. Bottom line is that it's a bike and they have a bike fee regardless of dimensions. I wasn't about to lie when asked if it was a bike. The real kick in the nuts is that paying the bike fee gets you absolutely no additional protection or insurance. It's simple extortion - $150 each way. At this point I've at least broken even on what I paid for the case in the 4 trips where I didn't get charged but it's frustrating to go through the hassle of breaking down the bike and rebuilding, and then repeating to come back home, when you know it's 50/50 a waste of time. IMO Ruster is being misleading with their marketing.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Apr 18, 17 19:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Your friend should count himself lucky he wasn't dragged away.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Airline rule for ruster armored hen house [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've at least broken even on what I paid for the case in the 4 trips where I didn't get charged but it's frustrating to go through the hassle of breaking down the bike and rebuilding, and then repeating to come back home, when you know it's 50/50 a waste of time.
Not a waste of time if you need to toss the bike in the back of a Prius taxi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much a crap shoot. I've flown with it numerous times and just pay regular luggage fees (not bike fee). Twice I got it through SW for free. I think it also counts as to where you're flying from. Most big metropolitan airports (like
ORD) can sniff out every penny and dime should they know it's a bike. However, I've gotten through them (like SFO) by pretty much saying it's not a bike, but some other "equipment" of some sort. I've also flown with mine through smaller airports (like Kona & Honolulu) and the agents didn't insist on anything and I just paid the regular luggage fee. You are indeed at a risk of paying the bike fee, I just find the amusement going through this process when traveling. I travel discreetly and not look like a triathlete/cyclist/ironman/too important. I have commented on Ruster that they should've made the bags more discreet like removing the red straps/highlights, blatant "Ruster Sports" logo, & shaped the wheel bag like a square to not make it too obvious that it's a wheel. Idk if they took that suggestion into consideration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown with it twice on American and was not charged. I recommend traveling with the Ruster pamphlet that explains its dimensions and provides answers to common gate agent questions. I agree with others that it is a crapshoot, but your best bet when it comes to travel bags. The airline policies are inconsistently enforced so there's always room for schmoozing and you can also contact customer service if you get charged. I've read that other STers got refunds. Or you can start screaming, punch yourself in the nose and stream it on facebook live.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Airline rule for ruster armored hen house [TriZen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked the Ruster site... they now have bags that are in Army ABU pattern and a Camoflage hunting pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: Airline rule for ruster armored hen house [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
I just checked the Ruster site... they now have bags that are in Army ABU pattern and a Camoflage hunting pattern.

Maybe the gate agents won't see it and they'll be no bike fee.
Quote Reply