Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airline bike issue
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker but now I need advice...

Hubby did AlaskaMan last weekend (the 7.5 mile hike I did with him at the end... whew!) which meant we flew Alaska Airlines from Denver to Anchorage. He had his bike in a Scicon bike bag, and when we got to Anchorage we saw that there was a crack in the seat stay. Took the bike (Cipollini carbon) to a local shop and the mechanic agreed it was cracked, and advised against racing it. We splinted it with electrical tape, he did the race... and now we are home in Denver trying to figure out what to do.

We called the airline immediately after seeing the crack and they said we first needed to file a claim with TSA since they inspected the bike. We got a call from TSA yesterday and they are looking for the video of the inspection. Then today we got an email from Alaska saying that since TSA inspected the bike Alaska cannot take any responsibility. Hubby called Alaska again, and now they are saying that it in in their Contract of Carriage that a bike will only be accepted for travel of it is in a hard case. <pink> They have nicely offered a $200 coupon for a future flight </pink>. Note, we paid the $75 bike fee... so they definitely "accepted" a bike in a soft case!

Do we have any recourse, or are my next several paychecks going to a new bike frame?

Open to all guidance....

Leslie
Quote Reply
Re: Airline bike issue [leslieH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Response_to_airline_damage_P6301724

This was a recent and similar post. Pay attention to some of the replies, specifically TheSloth's.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jul 20, 17 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: Airline bike issue [leslieH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We accept sports equipment items as checked baggage, provided each piece is properly packed in a soft- or hard-sided case designed specifically for the equipment. If your travel includes multiple airlines, different restrictions may apply."

"Each checked piece listed below is subject to our standard checked baggage fees and waivers. We’re glad to waive the oversize fee and overweight fee for the items listed in this section. Refer to our Checked baggage policy for checked piece charges and waivers.

Bicycles
...."

Nothing specific about hard cases in their policy for bikes that I see.

The person you spoke to (and oh so many airline employees) seems to be lying. Maybe continue to play nice and try to work it out and all else fails sue them in small claims.
Last edited by: Yobroski: Jul 20, 17 15:47
Quote Reply