Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Airless tire
Quote | Reply
BriTek energy return wheel
Does anybody use them?
Are you saving Watts ? anything about them? Hillclimbing mountain biking or road would be much appreciated

Charles A. Raska (AKA Vinnie)
Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [cardioman34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For maybe more than 100 years people have been looking for ways to create tires that don't need air, and for nearly 100 years nothing has been able to produce the same comfort/grip/efficiency of a pneumatic tire.

It is unlikely that BriTek has solved the problem. You are welcome to buy one and find out though. Keep us posted.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only place I have seen that airless tires work well is on the wheelchairs. I work a lot with them and they have quite a few advantages over air filled tires. But only on wheelchairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to live long enough to race on fast "no flat" tires.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. Although the particular wheel here has the strong stench of snake oil.
Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you imagine how much mud one of those mountain bike tires would hold?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for thousands of years, we thought the earth was flat

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello cardioman34 and All,

The future of bicycle improvements will incorporate the wheels.

.......... Imagine 3D printed bicycle 'tweels' that are flat proof, have excellent rolling resistance, and are much thinner with very low frontal area for better aero properties.

http://www.michelintweel.com/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:

The people who thought the earth were flat thousands of years ago were the same kind of people who think aero doesn't matter under 25mph today.

They were uninformed.
Ancient people with a clue knew it wasn't flat.

Anyway nobody has said it is impossible to build a tire that doesn't need air that works as well. I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up.

Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:

The Greeks thought that the Earth was a sphere circa 600 bc and accepted it as fact circa 300 bc. In essence, we've known that the Earth was round for thousands of years. Maybe you were thinking of a time period before that?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeebus, I wouldn't want to go round a corner on those things
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin recognizes that the rolling resistance and comfort of their tweels isn't great. They are marketing it towards low speed vehicles for that reason. Like farm equipment.

Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello iSam and All,

You probably will not have the opportunity to go around a corner (on your tri bike) on 'tweels' very soon ..... but perhaps in the not too distant future.

And agreed that new ideas are difficult to sell ..... but if useful .... and if the new concept has a bit of staying power ..... it can be sold successfully ....

'Tweels' for road bicycles will sell if they help you to go faster and will sell in other markets if they are maintenance free.

The no flat concept is OK but I don't flat very often .... but a very thin wheel and tire that is measurably faster than current offerings will most likely sell me on the concept.

The bicycle market might start with commuters and MTB.

As noted Michelin is not the only company selling the product.

Michelin markets 'tweels' now for some construction vehicles and 'tweels' appear to be useful for military vehicles.

Radial tires for automobiles were said to be 'harsh' riding when introduced, cell phones were 'clunky' ....

http://www.tuaw.com/...-they-thought-would/

What did the critics have to say about these four "failed" Apple products when they first debuted, and which products were they?

Excerpts:

"1. The Mac

It seems absurd now, but there was a time when some critics thought the Mac would be a complete failure. They considered the mouse-driven interface "Useless." Ponder that one for a bit. "Awkward," "Not easy to learn," and of course, "Costs too much" were other 1984-era complaints leveled at Apple's latest creation. These critics were used to the keyboard-driven interface of DOS-running PCs, and from the sounds of things, they considered the Mac, with its graphic user interface and "awkward" mouse, to be nothing more than an overpriced novelty, doomed to fail.

I hardly need to tell you what happened next. The original Macintosh completely revolutionized the computer industry. Within only a short time, companies like Microsoft scrambled to duplicate the GUI/mouse combo the Mac brought to the market. Today, nearly every desktop, notebook, and netbook out there runs a GUI/mouse interface. And 26 years after the first Macintosh debuted, Apple still sells Macs by the millions every year. I wish I could fail half as hard as that."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody is saying the technology is silly, or without potential merit. Just that it's not there yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In none of those above cases were there any fundamental problems of physics in the way though. Very difficult to defeat the comprehensibility properties of a gas, with solid materials.

Someone schooled in chemistry or materials engineering might even be able to put pretty tight boundaries on what is even theoretically possible here.

I think it would require pretty far out technology. You won't get there with just different foams and rubbers for sure. There is one sci fi book that introduced an interesting idea of tires made of little nanomachines, that conform to the road intelligently. Maybe that!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother tried a solid tire on his commuter many years ago, it was SO EFFIN stiff he never even got it on his clincher rim.
I predict there will be a pneumatic "run-flat" tire similar to the Bridgestone Run-Flat tire for automobiles in the near future. Basically a regular rubber tire with high tech sidewall stiffness that allows a tire with 1 atmosphere of pressure to ride on.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello jackmott and All,

When speaking of the future, based on our current worldview, we humans often err.

Not that my overly optimistic views offer any better reliability …… I just enjoy new ideas and products so I am indulging in a pastime that requires an open mind. That doesn’t mean that there will not be failures …… but there will be no new successes without making attempts …. some of them appearing to be wild ass ridiculous ….. until they find a use.

“What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.”

(Written before humans went to the moon.)

Jackmott wrote ….. “In none of those above cases were there any fundamental problems of physics in the way though. Very difficult to defeat the comprehensibility [intelligible, understood] properties of a gas, with solid materials.”

When reinventing the wheel fundamental physics is your friend and materials engineering is your friend – you just use them to your own ends focusing on possibilities rather than limitations.

“Someone schooled in chemistry or materials engineering might even be able to put pretty tight boundaries on what is even theoretically possible here.”

I seriously doubt it. Others with excellent credentials have tried and failed in that exercise.

The light bulb:

«... good enough for our transatlantic friends ... but unworthy of the attention of practical or scientific men.»
British Parliamentary Committee, referring to Edison's light bulb, 1878.

«Such startling announcements as these should be deprecated as being unworthy of science and mischievous to its true progress.»
Sir William Siemens, on Edison's light bulb, 1880.

«Everyone acquainted with the subject will recognize it as a conspicuous failure.»
Henry Morton, president of the Stevens Institute of Technology, on Edison's light bulb, 1880.

The automobile:

«The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty, a fad.»
The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford's lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903.

The airplane:

«Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.»
Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist, president of the British Royal Society, 1895.

«It is apparent to me that the possibilities of the aeroplane, which two or three years ago were thought to hold the solution to the [flying machine] problem, have been exhausted, and that we must turn elsewhere.»
Thomas Edison, American inventor, 1895.

Others:

«Remote shopping, while entirely feasible, will flop - because women like to get out of the house, like to handle merchandise, like to be able to change their minds.»
TIME, 1966, in one sentence writing off e-commerce long before anyone had ever heard of it.

«They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-»
Last words of Gen. John Sedgwick, spoken as he looked out over the parapet at enemy lines during the Battle of Spotsylvania in 1864.

«Our country has deliberately undertaken a great social and economic experiment, noble in motive and far reaching in purpose." -– Herbert Hoover, on Prohibition, 1928.

«It will be years - not in my time - before a woman will become Prime Minister.»
Margaret Thatcher, future Prime Minister, October 26th, 1969.

«Read my lips: NO NEW TAXES.»
George Bush, 1988.

«That virus is a pussycat.» -– Dr. Peter Duesberg, molecular-biology professor at U.C. Berkeley, on HIV, 1988.

http://www.2spare.com/item_50221.aspx

“I think it would require pretty far out technology. You won't get there with just different foams and rubbers for sure. There is one sci fi book that introduced an interesting idea of tires made of little nanomachines, that conform to the road intelligently. Maybe that!”

Damned straight!! I like the nanomachines – and have seen some wonderful applications for space systems and sensing devices for the battlefield.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Feb 26, 15 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Anth wrote:

The people who thought the earth were flat thousands of years ago were the same kind of people who think aero doesn't matter under 25mph today.

They were uninformed.
Ancient people with a clue knew it wasn't flat.

Anyway nobody has said it is impossible to build a tire that doesn't need air that works as well. I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up.

Not to digress, I never understood those who believed the earth was flat. I know it sounds ridiculous after hundreds of years. But one only need to look out over the ocean to see the earth curves. One only need to watch a ship set sale to see it looks like it is sinking after a couple miles out. Duhhhh.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Airless tire [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If 1 chamber doesn't work (tubeless or tubed)
and
Zero Chambers doesn't work (Air-less tires).
Then
We obviously need to go in the opposite direction.

DUAL CHAMBERS! (A tube inside a tubeless tire so that you can run Not One! But Two! Airpressures! !!!!!!!

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Feb 27, 15 10:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello cardioman34 and All,

http://www.bike-eu.com/...-next-level-10133030

"UTRECHT, the Netherlands – Schwalbe is launching its Airless System. With it Europe’s biggest in bicycle tyres is taking airless to the next level. And maybe even to a much wider use of these puncture-free tyres than ever before.

Thousands of mini air cushions

Solid inner tube systems already exist. What makes this new Airless System so extraordinary are, says Schwalbe “The technical properties of the foam particles, consisting of thermoplastic polyurethane (E-TPU), known under the Infinergy brand of BASF. Incidentally, it is the same material that is used in the soles of Adidas BOOST running shoes. The Airless tube has excellent damping and flexibility characteristics and offers lots of comfort.”

“Exactly these suspension characteristics makes the difference in comparison with the foams used for solid tubes so far,” explains René Marks. “The physical force with which the compressed material returns to its original shape is more than twice as high with this E-TPU foam than with existing systems. The cause: the E-TPU foam consists of thousands of sealed air balls. Together they form a highly elastic air cushion. That presents great advantages over current materials for solid inner tubes and makes it a real alternative to the inner tube.”

Moving the ball forward ....... might be nice for a gravel bike.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideas that will not go away ..... Airless tire and 3D printing

https://bikerumor.com/...types-to-bikes-more/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply