Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Air pollution and training.
Quote | Reply
In the recent years the air quality in my city have been rising to alarming levels especially pm10 and pm2.5, but this last months the daily average have been over the WHO limits by a fair amount (around 100 pm10 24hr-mean), to the point where exercising outside could be considered unhealthy and dangerous. To others that have gone through similar situations what have you done? I have the option of driving 1-1.5hr on weekends to remote country roads to more clean air, but I feel that I would only be contributing to the problem by unnecesarry driving (the main cause of increase pollution), doing most if not all my training indoors it's another alternative but i'm not that keen about that since I do enjoy being outdoors.
Last edited by: subsubsubelite: Apr 4, 17 20:47
Quote Reply
Re: Air pollution and training. [subsubsubelite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Salt Lake City and the air is terrible here in the winter time. Normally I run on lower pollution days then bike and swim the other days. I also do drive to where the pollution isn't bad, 20-30 minutes. When I do run on high or dangerous days, there is a deep burning in my lungs that is there for several days. Older I get the more I realize it isn't worth that.

They also make a pm2.5 mask. I have never tried that while running, but that is an option. You can get them on Amazon if you wanted to try that route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken Rundell has done significant research in this area.
Unfortunately not much of his research is freely available and I don't have any on this computer.
This would be a good one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22267572

If I remember correctly there are certainly increases in systemic inflammation, increased incidence of pulmonary disorders (Exercise induced bronchospasm) etc.
Whether that is worth a drive to the country-side is debatable.

This paper is available in PDF
http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~camelm/AWPPCE/Projects%20and%20Presentations/Air%20Pollution%20Paper%20-%20Effect%20of%20Air%20Pollution%20on%20Athletes%27%20Performance,%20Health,%20and%20Mortality.pdf

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Air pollution and training. [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't reach the point where my lungs burn after/during exercise even though i'm pretty sure my city it's more polluted than Salt Lake, since it's the city with worst air quality in all latin america. What I tried to do is run at early morning hours when pm10 levels are lower and when that's not possible, I end up running the treadmill. Another thing that I read (http://www.sciencedirect.com/...i/S1352231015000758I is that areas with lots of trees and vegetition help dilute aire contamination and particles suspended.
Last edited by: subsubsubelite: Apr 5, 17 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Air pollution and training. [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna give them a read and see if I can get some valuable information I can use. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
subsubsubelite wrote:
In the recent years the air quality in my city have been rising to alarming levels especially pm10 and pm2.5, but this last months the daily average have been over the WHO limits by a fair amount (around 100 pm10 24hr-mean), to the point where exercising outside could be considered unhealthy and dangerous. To others that have gone through similar situations what have you done? I have the option of driving 1-1.5hr on weekends to remote country roads to more clean air, but I feel that I would only be contributing to the problem by unnecesarry driving (the main cause of increase pollution), doing most if not all my training indoors it's another alternative but i'm not that keen about that since I do enjoy being outdoors.

In what city are you located?

Any public transport options to get out of the city regularly?

Also, unless you have some kind of advanced filtration system, I am not sure if indoor air quality is substantially better than outdoor air quality ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Air pollution and training. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monterrey, Mexico

Public transportation is shit, and is one of the main causes of such a high car per capita ratio, in some municipallities of the city there's up to 1 car per person, that with the lack of infrastructure and alot of corruption within industries to avoid ISO standards you got yourself a timebomb. Regarding to air filtration I really dont know since its a sport center with ac on 24/7 so I hope the air is somewhat cleaner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been there one time 15 years ago, it was a crazy place then, I can only imagine what it might be like now.

Are you in the center of the city, or near the edge? Do you know how the winds blow on most days?

Are you hoping to do more biking, or running, or both, outdoors?

Do you have much contact with other triathletes or cyclists or runners in Monterrey?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I am in South Korea. People in this country are suffering from pm2.5 and 10 from damn fxxxing China. I sometimes use 3M replacable filters and professional masks.

http://m.imgur.com/a/5fD4a

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Air pollution and training. [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live/train in the edge of the city but since the city is surrounded by mountains air doesn't help that much dissipating pollution. I already do a fair amount of exercise outdoors, most of my bike mileage is done outiside, don't know if you recall of La Huasteca, a canyon at the south west of the city where there's practically no cars, and the run half is done indoors and the other half outside at a carriage way covered with trees and a tartan track (calzada del valle). I'm just hoping to be able to continue doing so without risking my health. And yes I do, most of my aerobic rides are with other cyclist and/or triathletes.
Last edited by: subsubsubelite: Apr 5, 17 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: Air pollution and training. [Peter kim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that seems awful, what are your 24-hr mean of pm2.5 and 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a lot of running in Hong Kong. Air quality here can be excellent or terrible, depending - literally - on which way the wind blows.
I try to be a bit flexible. If I've got a rest day planned on a day where the air quality is good i usually go run; if the air is particularly bad i take a rest day even if i hadn't planned on it.
note that unless you have air purifiers/filters then your indoor exercise might not be any better.
Quote Reply