Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aging, calf injuries, and running speed [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For old man's calf I have used graston to good effect, in the past. My understanding of the problem is that is it kind of like compartment syndrome, where the muscle tissue and fascia get sticky and micro-scarred over time constricting muscle expansion as it engorges with blood when exercising, the graston breaks it up and smooths it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging, calf injuries, and running speed [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last couple of years I have fooled around with trying to run faster track times. My schedule is busy so consistent track training has been spotty. However, I find that I can actually attain reasonable raw speed quickly and can run pretty relaxed 200's or quarters at a quick pace, and my aerobic capacity is still good. My big hole is in sustaining anaerobic capacity for longer than 2 minutes. This could be attributed to the type of training I am doing or even my interior desire to suffer like that or the fact that I don't do speed work with anyone else so it gets easy to quit when the going gets hard, but my anecdotal points to that system as being the primary culprit to running performance as one ages.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging, calf injuries, and running speed [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing to consider: Statin cholesterol drugs, such as Lipitor.
old people sometimes tend toward higher cholesterol, so their docs put them on statins.
Mine did and within two weeks I started having calf issues, particularly when increasing run distance and/or intensity. It took us two years to figure it out.
Short story - research indicates statins aren't good for muscles especially those of runners.
Since getting off statins over two years ago I've had no calf problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Aging, calf injuries, and running speed [mjlrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally different muscle pathology
Quote Reply
Re: Aging, calf injuries, and running speed [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to take your word for it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next