Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerosol Degreaser Cheaper Alternatives
Quote | Reply
The aerosol degreasers sold in bike shops are quite pricey. I like the aerosol because it blasts the gunk away. Are there cheaper alternatives tat you have had success with....such as $3 aerosol brake cleaner from the auto parts store??
Quote Reply
Re: Aerosol Degreaser Cheaper Alternatives [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ditch the aerosol, get a giant jug of simple green and put it in an old windex bottle like everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the labels or msds sheets and you'll see these products are all quite similar and rather environmentally unfriendly. It might be good to think about some alternatives. That said I have no idea what is effective and eco friendly and inexpensive or what the magnitude of the impact of conventional options is.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerosol Degreaser Cheaper Alternatives [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Just ditch the aerosol, get a giant jug of simple green and put it in an old windex bottle like everyone else.

^^This^^

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zep Citrus Degreaser and spray bottle.

Quote Reply
Re: Aerosol Degreaser Cheaper Alternatives [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
Zep Citrus Degreaser and spray bottle.

This is what I use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kerosene is the cheapest alternative.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerosol Degreaser Cheaper Alternatives [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kerosene works fine and is relatively inexpesive, the auto parts store brake cleaner also works great. Brake cleaner probably has an acetone component in it so it's probably stronger and quicker in use.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerosol Degreaser Cheaper Alternatives [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:

Be careful. The regular i.e. not aircraft Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum.

From their FAQ

Quote:
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

It has been my experience that when squirted on parts like a front derailleur, it's nearly impossible to get all the Simple Green rinsed off. It will capillary into threads, remove protective grease or oil and in the long run corrode the heck of the parts. A quick wipe and rinse, no problem, Spraying all over and letting soak, not so good. I have gone to using Simple Green Extreme which is made for aircraft use. It's cheap when purchased by the gallon.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerosol Degreaser Cheaper Alternatives [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Kerosene works fine and is relatively inexpesive, the auto parts store brake cleaner also works great. Brake cleaner probably has an acetone component in it so it's probably stronger and quicker in use.

Acetone is the cheapest and easiest in my opinion. You can poor some on a rag and degrease a chain in 30 seconds. I get a gallon and it last all year. The just simple dish soap for everything else. Overall its pretty safe to use and honestly is the solvent used in most degreasers anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this from NAPA stores.

http://www.napaonline.com/...-NCB4320P_0424510216

SUPER cheap and very effective on washing the whole bike and cleaning the whole drivetrain (chain, cassette derailleur and all)

Also it is not hard on your skin, the environment or fabrics and plastics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerosol Degreaser...just buy some brake cleaner from Walmart for $3

http://www.walmart.com/...rts-Cleaner/16821281

jaretj
Quote Reply