Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in...
Quote | Reply
Hi all

Ok my choices are

1 - Xlap Torpedo Set up
2 - Torhans - Aero Z or Aero 30

This would be a race day set up for olympic/ 70.3 as well as set me up for long training rides.

Not sure which route to go or specifically what criteria I should use to make the decision. I assume they are all aero enough...
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The XLAB Torpedo with the Zipp Vuka BTA Mount and Trisports bracket is one awesome setup

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Torpedo and the Aero Z. Both are very similar as far as functionality and ease of use. Refilling is very similar in both. With the Torpedo I found that I would have to 'fiddle' or 'finagle' with the straw to suck up the last few ounces. The straw would curve away from the very bottom where the last few ounces would sit and I would have to move the straw around to get that last bit. The Aero Z toook care of this problem with straw placement. Since the straw starts under the bottle...then the last bit of fluid will find its way to the bottom. The magnet on the Aero Z does not seem to work as good as I would like. In windy conditions the straw(from the upright and ready to drink position) would catch the wind and often fall off the magnet which sits on the rear of the bottle. The Aero Z seems a bit cleaner(aerowise and aesthetically) on my bike but the Torpedo seems just a little easier to take off and clean at will. Since the Torpedo just fits in the cage like most other bottles however, the Aero Z has a little strap to hold it in that fits in a very tight little space and was hard to reach with my setup. I like them both and you really cant go wrong with either.

Ultimately, I have stuck with the Torpedo because I recently went to 'Mantis' arm position. This position lends itself away from the AeroZ because it changes where the fluid rests. Or, IOW, there is a new bottom to the bottle in this 'Mantis' position and that is not where the straw opening is. So only 2/3rds of the fluid is attainable. So I have now gone to the Torpedo. I have only used the Aero Z a handful of times and will be selling it. If you are interested then you can PM me.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympic all I need (gauging this on me) is one 26oz bottle in a ziptied cage between the bars. You'll be on the bike 1hr-1:10 so that should be all you need.

70.3, same ziptied cage/ bottle at the bars and one on downtube and/ or behind the seat. Then grab water/ gatorade as needed. I just grab water; drink, squeeze on the arm coolers, maybe over helmet, another squeeze in the mouth then toss at last bottle drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Aero 30 and everything about it is pretty good. I like that it's apparently fast (more consistantly than horizontal setups), is easy to drink out of, and has a tray for my garmin. I really don't enjoy the fact that it leaks like an SOB. I have tried everything imagionable to prevent it from leaking, but always seem to end up with a sticky mess to clean up. I only use sugary products for races, and because it's infrequent, I can live with the cleanup. If they could actually figure out a way to stop it from leaking it would be perfect for me.

dannyweissphoto wrote:
Hi all

Ok my choices are

1 - Xlap Torpedo Set up

This would be a race day set up for olympic/ 70.3 as well as set me up for long training rides.

Not sure which route to go or specifically what criteria I should use to make the decision. I assume they are all aero enough...
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the aero 30 boat too, I like the fluid sitting lower than right between the arms. I splashes way more than the profile HC setup for sure. I use the slotted inside, slotted outside cap and cover this with duct tape, still some water comin out, therefore I only use water ther and still have the option to refill on the fly. Got the nutrition behind the seat a little thicker, so water up front.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Aero 30, and like others have the splashing issue. One thing I didn't see mentioned regarding the Aero 30 that I have a problem with is rattling... It drives me nuts. I did just change my positioning a bit and now have to mount the bottle on the upper slot. This seems to have helped some, but I only have 1 short ride with it so far so not sure if that was a fluke/all in my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torpedo.

You can use the refillable bottle, or use the cage to take handups at aid stations.

Personally I'll use the torpedo for Oly and shorter (using the solid cap, so no sloshing), but swap bottles for longer events.

The torpedo is also super-easy to remove/empty post race (just slide it out of the cage).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the aero Z magnet - if you haven't already done this, remove the little rubber sleeve from the magnet so it's just exposed metal. it sticks in place a lot better. got that tip from another STer when i mentioned that i was having problems with the magnet holding.

my biggest complaint about it is that at least with my position, the straw is pretty hard to reach. i usually end up using one hand to bring the valve to my mouth. aside from that, i like it well enough.

i haven't used the torpedo, but i have just done the zip-tied bottle cage thing. that worked pretty well, except that the zip ties kept snapping where they rubbed the cage. takeaway there is probably to use a cage with rounded frame, i guess; i was using an elite custom race, which has squared-off edges that were apparently sawing into the zip ties. overall, that setup was a little more hassle-free than the aero Z, but i've been sticking with the torhans recently mostly just because i have it and feel like i might as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solid advice all around. thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
I have the Aero 30, and like others have the splashing issue. One thing I didn't see mentioned regarding the Aero 30 that I have a problem with is rattling... It drives me nuts.
I just wants to forget it, thanks for reminding.....it rattles like a motherfu....

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the AeroZ this season and I like it quite a bit. I solved the magnet issue by removing the silicone sleeve and by adding a wheel weight magnet. Now you have to deliberately remove the straw from the bottle. I can snap a pic if you want an example. My only complaint about the AeroZ is the capacity...at 20oz I drink that down in about 45 mins on a warm day.

As much as I like the AeroZ I have thought about going the Zipp/Trisports mount way and just running a normal 24oz bottle between the arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [skullyrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skullyrush wrote:
I've used the AeroZ this season and I like it quite a bit. I solved the magnet issue by removing the silicone sleeve and by adding a wheel weight magnet. Now you have to deliberately remove the straw from the bottle. I can snap a pic if you want an example. My only complaint about the AeroZ is the capacity...at 20oz I drink that down in about 45 mins on a warm day.

As much as I like the AeroZ I have thought about going the Zipp/Trisports mount way and just running a normal 24oz bottle between the arms.

Any idea when the Zipp/Trisports mount comes back in stock?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.trisports.com/...o-bta-mount-100.html

The website says September 5

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same decision a few months ago, and went with the Torepdo.. My decision was based on the fact that the Torhan mount sits too far front because it has to sit in front of the stem. The torpedo sits on your aerobars so its more flexible in terms of positioning.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a tip from a pro awhile back on fixing that aero 30 from rattling - if you put long piece of the fuzzy side of Velcro on the mount so that it sits between the mount and the bottle it should solve most problems. It fixed almost all my rattling and splashing "almost"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got an aero 20 which has the same mount as the aero 30

I used two bigger zipp ties on each side of the brackte/mount to hold it to my aero bars and it doesn't move at all.

There was absolutely no rattling from the bracket to the bars or from the bottle to bracket.

It did splash a little when completely full but any bottle will do that. I used the sprint cover and just pulled it off to refill.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyweissphoto wrote:
1 - Xlap Torpedo Set up

I've used both the Torpedo and Aero Z. I like the aeroness of both. Torpedo has more capacity and you can see the liquid inside which helps when filling up. The Aero Z straw is nice once you get the magnet figured out (suggestions above). Hard to fill without spilling because the bottle is black and the rubber cover doesn't allow you to see in.

Unfortunately they both leaked like freaking crazy. Drove me nuts, so now I'm using the Speedfil A2 in the Torpedo bottle cage mount. The A2 may not be as aero, but its easy to fill, straw works great with Speedfil's straw clip, and doesn't leak much at all. Very happy with this current setup.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just to complicate things..anyone try the Nathan Performance option...?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the aero 30 and was only using the uncut cover...and it leaked. I then added the thin, slitted cover, with the cap on top, and leaking is minimal to nonexistant, unless i'm on a bumpy/rough road. It does rattle a bit, though, and I'm thinking of adding some type of tape to absorb the rattling. I like it, qute a bit, although i am thinking of removing the aero straw and just buying a long straw/tube so that I can bend it and get it out of the wind.

aries33 wrote:
I have the Aero 30 and everything about it is pretty good. I like that it's apparently fast (more consistantly than horizontal setups), is easy to drink out of, and has a tray for my garmin. I really don't enjoy the fact that it leaks like an SOB. I have tried everything imagionable to prevent it from leaking, but always seem to end up with a sticky mess to clean up. I only use sugary products for races, and because it's infrequent, I can live with the cleanup. If they could actually figure out a way to stop it from leaking it would be perfect for me.

dannyweissphoto wrote:
Hi all

Ok my choices are

1 - Xlap Torpedo Set up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Xlab Torpedo on its own is pretty bad. The Trisports version is the only one to think about if you go that route.

The list of mods to my Xlab Torpedo to get it to work is as follows:

1) Replaced the breaking velcro straps with the Profile Design HC Mount cross bars and 4 zip ties. I added another zip tie on each side connected to my aero bad pad mount to keep the unit from sliding off the back since there was nothing to keep it from moving fore/aft.

2) The road vibration was too much for the computer mount with those stiff new crossbars. Replaced the narrow gen 1 computer mount with the current gen 2 computer mount. It still was throwing my Garmin off to the side. Why on Earth the original mount was too narrow for a Garmin mount boggle my mind. Why the updated mount doesn't have side ridges to keep the Garmin mount from falling off the side further boggles my mind. I'm using the smallest Garmin mount rubber bands I found (in the Xlab recommended pattern). A zip tie to further tighten the bands and hot glue have gotten it mostly functional. Oh yeah, why is it made to rotate?? Who wouldn't line it up straight? Even though the bolt is tightened silly with the ridged washers in the right place, it still rotates itself. Add in 3 more small zip ties to keep it from rotating.

3) If you bought the 100 version like I did, you soon find out the cage quickly deformed/stretched out and becomes too loose to hold stuff well. Multiple rubber bands hold the bottle against the ridge to keep it from moving forward and knocking your computer off on every bump. I keep a water bottle with tools/flat kit rubber banded there for training rides.

4) The dolphin tail straw holder isn't that great. Small magnet, washer and electrical tape will make you much happier.

5) Sometimes I press the lid all the way into the bottle after a refill on the move. That sucks.

Drinking from a normal bottle in the aerobars isn't any more difficult that reaching for a straw. It's much quicker to swap in a bottle than refill a bta unit too. If I were to do it all over again, I would just buy the Profile Design cross braces, use a water bottle holder I trusted and then snag a Bar Fly or K-edge mount to hold the computer. Or possibly the Trisports Torpedo package.

If you can get the Torhans Aero 30 pretty close to your headtube, I think that would be a great option.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar hydration choices..please weigh in... [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is unique about the trisports version?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like this

The benefits are a stronger mount because it bolts to the aerobars, no straps, and a Garmin perfectly centered between the aerobars

Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 28, 15 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Speedfill and it's ok. I have a P5, so it just uses a regular bottle cage and I don't need some of the fancy mounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyweissphoto wrote:
what is unique about the trisports version?

BryanD nailed it.

I would knock off that dolphin tail thing and spend $3 on a small magnet, a couple washers and tape/glue to attach them.

It's still too expensive for what it is, but it's a better option.
Quote Reply

Prev Next