Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero matters.
Quote | Reply
http://www.sciencealert.com/watch-a-top-just-won-t-stop-spinning-inside-a-vacuum-chamber

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero matters. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neat trick.

From which I would infer that ceramic bearings (mechanical efficiency) and such, are a waste of money and aero (position & equipment) is everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero matters. [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
Neat trick.

From which I would infer that ceramic bearings (mechanical efficiency) and such, are a waste of money and aero (position & equipment) is everything.

I'm not going to vouch for the efficacy of ceramic bearings vs alternatives, but you really can't infer much from this demo because of scaling laws.

The aerodynamics of that draggy-draddle spinning fairly quickly will change at a rate proportional to length squared, (Reynolds number being proportional to velocity*length, and here velocity is omega*radius or omega*length*constant equivalently) but the mechanical loads are proportional to mass, which scale as the cube of length along with volume.

So, a properly sized spinning thing with equivalent physical properties will have a much higher Reynolds number (it will behave as if in less viscous air) and much more inertial mass - spinning much longer. At some scale the load-bearing interface becomes the critical source of drag.

Again, not that this applies to cycling aero or ceramic bearings, but neither does this demo. Still a fun demo to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero matters. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This does it. From now on I'm doing all of my rides in a vacuum! :-)

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Re: Aero matters. [Dont_Drown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This does it. From now on I'm doing all of my rides in a vacuum!

That will severely limit your oxygen intake.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply