Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero difference between disc and rim brakes
Quote | Reply
No, I do not want to have an argument about which is better. I in no way feel any need to criticize those who have different brake preferences than I do.

What I do want to do with this post is show some innovative ideas that Scott just announced that makes the Scott Foil with rim brakes and their version with disc brakes equal aerodynamically and this is an important direct apples to apples comparison of the aerodynamics of rim and disc brakes on the same bike. What I like most about the article below is the details about how the designs are different.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/scott-announces-2018-foil-disc-new-addict-road-range/

One of the arguments against disc brakes (among others) has been that they have an "aero penalty". I personally believe that rim brakes when they first were used before making modifications also had an aero penalty, but rim brakes have evolved so that today we have rim brakes that are much more aero. The same is true with disc brakes, but since they are newer on bikes where aero matters (i.e. not mtb or cx bikes), the aerodynamic design of disc brakes is newer and evolving compared to the more mature rim brake aerodynamic design. I think in the end, there will be a greater difference between disc and rim brakes designed to be aero compared to disc and rim brakes not designed to be aero than you will see between disc and rim brakes. I really wish that cyclists and triathletes would see the similarity between disc and rim brakes rather than their differences.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between disc and rim brakes [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. would like a word with you

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 30, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between disc and rim brakes [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to bump this post up because it is a much more positive way to talk about the new Scott Foil bike than the other post about it.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between disc and rim brakes [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
I'm going to bump this post up because it is a much more positive way to talk about the new Scott Foil bike than the other post about it.

You criticized me for making a post about the threads on the thru axles of the Scott Foil disc brakes and yet you create this thread?

FYI, Scott used deeper than 3:1 aspect ratio tubes on their fork for their disc brake version and added those fork tip fairings on there and it is not even the same aerodynamically as the rim brake version. Not to mention the disc brake version of their bike has to use aerodynamically worse wheels with more spokes for strength. The rim brake version is still far superior aerodynamically, far less maintenance, far more durable and fault tolerant, and you can swap wheels far faster with no chance of stripping the thru axle threads because of different pitch "standards".
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Aug 30, 17 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Aero difference between disc and rim brakes [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll trust Scott's engineering team over you

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply