Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Wheels and Bars
Quote | Reply
My fulltime job is to be an importer for race car parts from China and Taiwan. There is a carbon fiber bike factory (there are some bike names that use this factory) that I have been visiting on my trips over there. I have purchased some products from them, that very pleased with. So are others that have inspected and rode them.

My idea is start a website to sell these on. What do you guys think?
Last edited by: Torero: Mar 30, 15 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [Torero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you going to stock those parts or just facilitate the orders and import them as needed?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The idea is buy in bulk. It would help with cost, shipping, tax & duty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a good idea IF you can offer better customer support and some sort of satisfaction guarantee(replacement or warranty) at a low markup, of course;). I think after you add in all of that stuff, your price point will be right at or slightly above someone like Flo. If your goal is to become rich...I doubt this is your avenue. If you just want to make some extra cash and support the bike habit....it sound very good.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The factory I have been speaking to, will give me a 1 year no questions asked warranty and I think should do more for the my customers. I have been working with them on replacement parts. We all know that little parts brake and about shipping damage.

The time I have shipping and everything retail would be:

60mm Clincher Set $899 USD
88mm Clincher Set $999 USD
w/ Hubs:Novatec 291-SL/482-SL,Spokes: Sapim CX-ray

I'm still working on pricing for Aero Bars.

what do you think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do those prices include shipping to the consumer? And can you you mix and match your wheels? You are pretty much matching FLO's prices so without the versatility to mix and match across the range I am not sure how successful you will be. China direct carbon wheels are easy to come by so you will need to offer something more to make it a viable business.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would sell them buy each. I wanted to show by set pricing to see what everyone thought. I didn't even know Flo was that cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
granted they aren't with cx-rays but you can get them for about half that on ebay right now from about 50 different places
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that's what I worried about. A lot of the big names in the bike world that I have spoken to say that's the problem of having a cheaper wheel. The only thing I could offer more then them is that the wheels are here in the states, better warranty and customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torero wrote:
The factory I have been speaking to, will give me a 1 year no questions asked warranty and I think should do more for the my customers. I have been working with them on replacement parts. We all know that little parts brake and about shipping damage.

The time I have shipping and everything retail would be:

60mm Clincher Set $899 USD
88mm Clincher Set $999 USD
w/ Hubs:Novatec 291-SL/482-SL,Spokes: Sapim CX-ray

I'm still working on pricing for Aero Bars.

what do you think?

That's pretty much the exact same price as, for example, 3sixty5 wheelsets with CX-ray spokes.

Not shooting down your idea, just saying there are already others doing that.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are all good reason why I was asking. I didn't even know if it was worth my time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could start small. Put an add in the Slowtwitch classifieds or with some local riders where you live. Get enough people in for 1 "bulk" order(however much that is) and start to gain some credibility on both ends of the transaction. I would be interested however, I just got my order of Chinese wheels in this last Saturday. I havent mounted them yet but they seem fantastic for 500$!!

I feel the market for these Chinese products will keep getting bigger as we start feeling more comfortable with their product. Possibly to the point that the bike industry will have to really change the way it operates....especially the big names.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did some mgmt consulting work for a client two years ago looking to do something similar to what you are looking at. you will have to be the judge for yourself as you have access to the numbers, but it became very apparent very quickly when looking at their proposal that to operate in that area of the market, and with the kind of supply chain you are suggesting, that the margins would be extremely tight.

The end result is they would need to be able to move large volumes to make a real go of it, something that isn't the easiest thing as it meant capturing a fair bit of market share.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your right margins are tight, unless you do a huge order. I've been thinking about for awhile now. back and fourth.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Wheels and Bars [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have sold some to locals, but they told me they wanted them before I went to china. I shipped them back with my bags. if I got a set of wheels on every trip I could sell them for $500, but shipping bulk and duty is driving the cost way up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing that makes my price go up is the world wide liability insurance. Its hard to find company's in China and Taiwan that have it. If you do your paying for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We think you already have directed completion that has already built brand awareness and has a loyal customer base in the US such as BOYD, Williams, November Bicycles and Luke I read earlier someone mention the two Canadian brothers FLO

And there is plenty more companies in the US market so do your analysis.

We studied the market in Canada for 4 years before starting our brand in Canada... And we are glad we walked before riding :)

Best of luck Chris

http://Www.3sixty5cycling.com
3sixty5cycling@gmail.com

In Reply To:

Fast Enough to Win, Tough Enough to Ride Year Round!
https://www.facebook.com/3sixty5Cycling
http://www.3sixty5cycling.com

Quote Reply