Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 *UPDATED* Now with MORF Data
Quote | Reply
Introduction
Starting about three years ago I began doing my own field testing using the Chung Virtual Elevation Method (technical stuff here, user experiences, tips, and tricks here on the world-famous ST Platypus Thread). Over that time I'm going to guess I logged perhaps 20-25 hours worth of "testing time" in the field and got what I thought were decent results: I felt fairly comfortable with A/B testing helmets and felt confident in the results because they were repeatable but I never felt very confident in anything other than ordinal values because when testing other things, such as clothing or equipment changes, I seemed to get a lot of noise (e.g. item A tests faster than item B one weekend but the next weekend there was either no difference or the order was reversed).

Around the beginning of this year, I became involved with a couple of early-stage triathlon related products in the capacity of "enthusiastic guinea-pig" and it was clear that some of these would have to go to the wind tunnel eventually. When I saw a mention of "Aero Camp 2017" I thought to myself "it's high time I go to the tunnel and do some testing." Due to a scheduling change for Aero Camp, I ended up testing on my own today.

My primary goal for today's trip was to validate my own field testing and equipment choices.

Equipment Tested
Trek Speed Concept size large with Ultegra Di2, HED+ rear disc wheel, Zipp 404 NSW front wheel, Continental GP4000S II tires 23mm front/rear, Bontrager XXX brake levers, Bontrager bento box, Bontrager plug-in extension, Zipp Vuka aluminum s-bend extensions, Zipp arm cups, trimmed arm cup "bridge", TriSports BTA Mount, X-lab Torpedo (backwards), Garmin 920 XT, Speedplay Pedals, and a Selle SMP saddle. I left my "Draft Box" flat kit at home on accident :(

I get a lot of questions about the Selle SMP saddle. I like it. The only other saddle I use is my ISM PN 1.1. For short, hard efforts I prefer the Selle because I really feel like it locks my body into place... which is also exactly what you want for aero testing. In all seriousness, it actually made a noticeable improvement in the quality of my field testing data which I'll elaborate on in a separate post in the next couple of weeks.

Personal physical dimensions: 6'1", 175lbs (got fat over winter, normally 165lbs), 32" waist, 42" chest, 34" inseam. Wide feet :p

Let's Detour and Talk Position for a Minute....
One thing you'll notice in the following recap is that I didn't make any position changes. Why? It took me a long time to get my position to where it's at and I'm happy with it. I'm very comfortable and it takes surprisingly little to piss off my shoulders. Also, for the racing I do (short-course), it's really not practical for me to ride any lower up front.

Why did I bring this up? For those of you who have not gone to a wind tunnel but have contemplated it, the less position work you do the more equipment testing you can do for a given time budget. Most bikes require a few minutes of wrenching for each change to arm pad width, stack, reach, tilt, etc. Helmet swaps are super fast. I think I got through six helmets in about 30 minutes of testing. Not bad. Clothing went at the same rate. The limiting factor was literally how long it took the fans to slow down.

Onward to Testing
First, I should note that A2 has a very healthy selection of helmets and other equipment to choose from. However, I brought my own helmets as the strap were already adjusted. I started wearing a Kiwami Spider WS1 and a Giro A2. 201 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 186 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

My Scott Split which I once thought was my fastest helmet (raising my front end has dinged it). 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 188 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

Specialized McLaren lens on. 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 186 Aero Watts (-10 yaw)

Giro Aerohead. This helmet consistently tested faster in field testing for me than anything else in my collection. 200 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 184 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

POC Cerebal. 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 189 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

Now let's get to some clothing. First up is my Kiwami Spider LD-Aero and my Giro Aerohead. I'd like to detour for a second because my tunnel experience is an interesting learning experience for all of those out there who are aero obsessed. If one were to look at trends in wind tunnel reports, one would assume that going from sleeveless to a sleeved suit should net a nice gain for a guy with my build. Right? Not so much. 199 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 183 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw) I'll revisit this point in my closing summary.

What about a different sleeved kit? Here's my Virklon which doesn't have a wrinkle anywhere. 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 184 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

Ok so I'm not making any headway with clothing. Maybe it's time to address my shoes? After all, look at those flaps! In all seriousness, let's take a moment here to discuss those flaps. Geoff and Heath poked some good fun at me when they first saw my ungainly Bont tri shoes and early on they thought the delta between them and my Simmons monocoque carbon fiber shoes would be quite large. Geoff thought there would be a 15 watt difference and was rather confident in his assertion. Heath thought that was overly optimistic but was quite confident in his guess of 8 watts. I was more conservative still guessing I'd see a 5 watt difference. In reality? Drumroll please.... 198 Aero Watts (Zero Yaw) 184 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw). Everyone was so slack-jawed that we actually took five minutes off from testing in the tunnel to compare photos of my positions between runs. As best as we could see, I was doing quite well when it came to the Mannequin Challenge.

The only position change I wanted to try was a Mantis position. Hallelujah a change in drag! 193 Aero Watts (0 yaw) 179 Aero Watts (-10 yaw)

Now let's try to emulate TJ Tollakson and run a bottle under the aero extensions. 198 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 179 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

I did test the MORF bars on my Shiv against my Alpha X but I'm going to withhold the results for now until I can get the data to Frank. Even though I tested his product on my time and my dime, it's his product so I'll let him handle the data accordingly. EDIT: DATA NOW INCLUDED BELOW To those who have keen eyes, yes, the position is quite different from my Speed Concept. Also, to go back to my whole notion of "my position is comfortable" the position below was killing me! Seriously, it took a ton of concentration on each run for me to hold that position. One more note: I know the two photos below look a bit different but that's because one was at yaw and the other was not. I promise you, we went to great pains between each run to ensure that I was in as close to the same position as possible between the two bars.

Let's talk about the protocol real quick: we did "12" runs. First I tested the MORF Tech bar at 0, -10, 0, -10. Then we swapped the TriRig Alpha X in and I tested at 0, -10, 0, -10. Then we put the MORF Tech bar back on and tested again at 0, -10, 0, -10. I would have put the TriRig bar back on but I was out of time.

The MORF bar averaged 204.45 Aero Watts at 0 Yaw (range: 202.1-206.1) and 192.65 Aero Watts at -10 Yaw (range: 191.5-193.3) The Alpha X bar averaged 200.75 Aero Watts (range: 200-201.5) and 192.2 Aero Watts at -10 Yaw (range: 191.5-192.9). So, at 0 Yaw, the MORF Tech bar was 3.7 Watts *SLOWER* at 0 Yaw and was basically tied at -10 Yaw.

Let's discuss this because this was another head-scratcher of a result. After all, why would removing the base bar be slower? TomA mentioned over in the original MORF Tech thread that his "aero or die" setup was worth 5-7 watts (I think). Another long-time Slowtwitcher (screen name eludes me at the moment) had similar expectations.

As I mentioned before, my position on these bars on my Shiv was different from my Speed Concept and was very uncomfortable. Could it be I was moving around? If you look at my data, the variance within runs is on ~1 watt though the variance between runs at 0 Yaw is much larger with the MORF Tech bar. I don't have a good explanation for why that is.

I purposely stacked the protocol in favor of the Alpha X by using bar plugs instead of brakes whereas the MORF Tech bar had it's integrated brakes. I did this to avoid someone saying "well you could have used brake lever XYZ on the Alpha X and it would have been faster". That said, I don't think this accounts for more than a watt which leaves a large delta between what was expected and what we saw.

I think Heath and Geoff's on-the-spot analysis is the best we can do: the MORF Tech bar was set up using a traditional 100mm +7 stem and the MORF Tech prototype bar had a very large circular clamping area to the left and right of where the stem mounted... I'd guess we're talking about close to 2" of exposed 31.8 circular tubing. Compare that to the Alpha X with it's integrated aerodynamic stem and... well... that might be some of the delta.

Personally, I think the result largely came down to the fact the bar was tested by *me* and that I might not be representative of a lot of riders. If I were a prospective consumer, I'd want more data. That said, as someone who races primarily short-course, I'd actually take a 3 watt hit to run these bars. For longer races I might consider a faster bar (assuming the MORF bars actually are slower). As a side note, considering my position was, higher, shorter, was running a 404 rear, and didn't have the mantis of my final Speed Concept run, I'd say the Shiv held up pretty well!

MORF
  • 0 Yaw: 205.1 Aero Watts
  • -10 Yaw: 192.8 Aero Watts
  • 0 Yaw: 206.1 Aero Watts
  • -10 Yaw: 193.3 Aero Watts
  • 0 Yaw: 202.1 Aero Watts
  • -10 Yaw: 191.5 Aero Watts
  • 0 Yaw: 204.5 Aero Watts
  • -10 Yaw: 193.0 Aero Watts

Alpha X
  • 0 Yaw: 200.0 Aero Watts
  • -10 Yaw: 191.5 Aero Watts
  • 0 Yaw: 201.5 Aero Watts
  • -10 Yaw: 192.9 Aero Watts

Summary and Closing Thoughts
At the end of the day, I largely validated much of my recent field testing. Prior to going to A2, my Giro Aerohead consistently tested faster than every other helmet in my arsenal. Also, I had previously tested a mantis position and on several occasions found it to be considerably faster than having my arms titled ~10 degrees (I can't ride comfortably with my arms level) but also found no change on some occasions (hence the question mark in my mind). In previous field testing I had never seen any sort of consistent difference in clothing for myself. Turns out sleeves don't do much for me!

It turns out I'm one of those folks who is sort of equipment agnostic: changes in equipment just don't result in big changes for me. This isn't unprecedented. IIRC James Haycraft is sort of like this. That's ok though. I'm very happy I was able to validate my equipment selections for this season and all in all, I was able to find 8 watts between my baseline and my fastest configuration. I really enjoyed my time at A2 and found both Geoff and Heath to be very helpful. Feel free to ask me any questions below.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 11, 17 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why in the hell did you not test at 30mph. even if you don't ride at 30 in the field, it makes it easier to see deltas.

rant over

so what speed are you using for your numbers?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tested at 30mph, "aero watts" numbers are adjusted to 25mph. I'll post up screenshots of my spreadsheet tomorrow morning. I've had enough of TinyPic for one night :)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is your XLAB BTA bottle backwards?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two reasons: first, if it were forwards I'd either have to use the Speed Concept water bottle mount and put the bottle up in the wind or I'd have to push the TriSports mount so far forward that my garmin would be jammed into my hands. Second, with the straw pointing forward it's a simpler and quicker motion for me to pull it up to my mouth, drink, and then secure it back down.

Edit to add: I strongly doubt having it backwards does anything to drag. The bottle itself is pretty well nestled between my forearms.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 9, 17 21:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice write-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really interesting

Adds weight to the individuality factor, some people could have changed all the things you did and seen massive changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the shoes behaved unexpectedly because you’re a heel-dropper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice one thanks for sharing.

would have been nice if you had just cut the flap at the bont shoes after testing them and see what happens. cut have been the cheapest 1 watt save of the day ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [Samuel D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Samuel D wrote:

Wondered the same.

Do the posh shoes have any difference in cleat stack height (for want of a better term) than the Bonts? I'm guessing you didn't adjust saddle height.

Great writeup, thanks for sharing. I was secretly hoping the Cerebel would be faster than the Aerohead, but it seems like the Aerohead not only makes you look like a death star gunnery officer but is also probably the safest option in lieu of a trip to the tunnel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, thanks for sharing!

I assume that although the pics are static, tests were while you were pedaling? Did you check test-retest reproducibility, and if so, how far/what aspects? (I occasionally get asked for tunnel recommendations.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I did test the MORF bars on my Shiv against my Alpha X but I'm going to withhold the results for now until I can get the data to Frank. Even thought I tested his product on my time and my dime, it's his product so I'll let him handle the data accordingly.

So the only data from this exercise that could shed an independent light on new/emerging equipment...you are releasing to the manufacturer, but not to us.

That makes sense -- I suppose I will just give my data to Diamondback, Ventum, Premier, Felt, and Cervelo. Because, it's their product.

Come on...at least publish the raw data. The last place this should end up is in another marketing pamphlet.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume he means he will publish his raw data, untouched by Morf.

I think he is going to share with Morf-Tech first so they don't see the data after ST has had a few hours to dissect it. Seems fair to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re shoes......did you adjust saddle and bar height for the change in shoe stack height? I am going to assume the custom simmons have much lower stack height(might not be true) and if so and you did not adjust your upper legs got miniscue(ly) more vertical which is slower. or Q of shoe/cleats changed some
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
nice one thanks for sharing.

would have been nice if you had just cut the flap at the bont shoes after testing them and see what happens. cut have been the cheapest 1 watt save of the day ;-)

Thought about it, didn't immediately find the scissors, moved on, and forgot to come back and try that 😂. Also, the Simmons shoes are super easy to get in and out of so I figured I'd just leave them on the bike for the sake of conserving time.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [Samuel D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Samuel D wrote:

I'll see if I can find a video but my ankling is actually very static. The photos you're looking at are of me stationary prior to each run and aren't really indicative of how I pedal.

Edit: after looking at some more still pictures and video I do drop my heels a bit but not as badly as the photos I posted here seem to indicate.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 10, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

I assume that although the pics are static, tests were while you were pedaling? Did you check test-retest reproducibility, and if so, how far/what aspects? (I occasionally get asked for tunnel recommendations.)

Correct, pics are static. I repeated the run with the POC Cerebral once because the first time we ran it Geoff saw something in the data at yaw he didn't like. After that I also ran the Giro Aerohead/Kiwami spider/Bont setup again prior to putting on the Simmons tri shoes. I'll go back and check the spreadsheet and update this post but, IIRC, both runs were within a watt of each other at both zero and -10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so, you went from a CdA of 0.234 to 0.225

and.....we can say it would take you ~245 total watts to go sub 1 hr at 40k.

Only putting this info out there for context on your position and power requirements for folks to get an idea. I tossed in rough watts for crr and efficiency/power to spin
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You want it, go drop your dime on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks for sharing and nice write up. I hear you about TinyPic.

I had similar results at A2 last year with the mantis position. Helmets made a small difference but the high forearms made a big change for me. Did you retest helmets after the switch to the mantis? A Bambino (size Lg) seems to be better for me now. I wonder if it is shielding my shoulders more and some of its issues were reduced by the disrupted airflow from my high hands. The switch to the mantis position was at the end of my time and we did not get to recheck helmets. One of these days I need to get serious with Chung testing to get more data.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great thread. Thanks for sharing.

what do you height and weight?

I think you missed an opportunity after "mantis" run... I'd like to see some frontal or quartering pics to be sure.

thanks!

ETA: based on ERO's quick analysis, your pedaling style seems suited for Speedplay aero pedals and cleats if you don't already have them.

GreenPlease wrote:
Introduction
Starting about three years ago I began doing my own field testing using the Chung Virtual Elevation Method (technical stuff here, user experiences, tips, and tricks here on the world-famous ST Platypus Thread). Over that time I'm going to guess I logged perhaps 20-25 hours worth of "testing time" in the field and got what I thought were decent results: I felt fairly comfortable with A/B testing helmets and felt confident in the results because they were repeatable but I never felt very confident in anything other than ordinal values because when testing other things, such as clothing or equipment changes, I seemed to get a lot of noise (e.g. item A tests faster than item B one weekend but the next weekend there was either no difference or the order was reversed).

Around the beginning of this year, I became involved with a couple of early-stage triathlon related products in the capacity of "enthusiastic guinea-pig" and it was clear that some of these would have to go to the wind tunnel eventually. When I saw a mention of "Aero Camp 2017" I thought to myself "it's high time I go to the tunnel and do some testing." Due to a scheduling change for Aero Camp, I ended up testing on my own today.

My primary goal for today's trip was to validate my own field testing and equipment choices.

Equipment Tested
Trek Speed Concept size large with Ultegra Di2, HED+ rear disc wheel, Zipp 404 NSW front wheel, Continental GP4000S II tires 23mm front/rear, Bontrager XXX brake levers, Bontrager bento box, Bontrager plug-in extension, Zipp Vuka aluminum s-bend extensions, Zipp arm cups, trimmed arm cup "bridge", TriSports BTA Mount, X-lab Torpedo (backwards), Garmin 920 XT, Speedplay Pedals, and a Selle SMP saddle. I left my "Draft Box" flat kit at home on accident :(

I get a lot of questions about the Selle SMP saddle. I like it. The only other saddle I use is my ISM PN 1.1. For short, hard efforts I prefer the Selle because I really feel like it locks my body into place... which is also exactly what you want for aero testing. In all seriousness, it actually made a noticeable improvement in the quality of my field testing data which I'll elaborate on in a separate post in the next couple of weeks.

Let's Detour and Talk Position for a Minute....
One thing you'll notice in the following recap is that I didn't make any position changes. Why? It took me a long time to get my position to where it's at and I'm happy with it. I'm very comfortable and it takes surprisingly little to piss off my shoulders. Also, for the racing I do (short-course), it's really not practical for me to ride any lower up front.

Why did I bring this up? For those of you who have not gone to a wind tunnel but have contemplated it, the less position work you do the more equipment testing you can do for a given time budget. Most bikes require a few minutes of wrenching for each change to arm pad width, stack, reach, tilt, etc. Helmet swaps are super fast. I think I got through six helmets in about 30 minutes of testing. Not bad. Clothing went at the same rate. The limiting factor was literally how long it took the fans to slow down.

Onward to Testing
First, I should note that A2 has a very healthy selection of helmets and other equipment to choose from. However, I brought my own helmets as the strap were already adjusted. I started wearing a Kiwami Spider WS1 and a Giro A2. 201 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 186 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

My Scott Split which I once thought was my fastest helmet (raising my front end has dinged it). 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 188 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

Specialized McLaren lens on. 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 186 Aero Watts (-10 yaw)

Giro Aerohead. This helmet consistently tested faster in field testing for me than anything else in my collection. 200 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 184 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

POC Cerebal. 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 189 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

Now let's get to some clothing. First up is my Kiwami Spider LD-Aero and my Giro Aerohead. I'd like to detour for a second because my tunnel experience is an interesting learning experience for all of those out there who are aero obsessed. If one were to look at trends in wind tunnel reports, one would assume that going from sleeveless to a sleeved suit should net a nice gain for a guy with my build. Right? Not so much. 199 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 183 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw) I'll revisit this point in my closing summary.

What about a different sleeved kit? Here's my Virklon which doesn't have a wrinkle anywhere. 203 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 184 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

Ok so I'm not making any headway with clothing. Maybe it's time to address my shoes? After all, look at those flaps! In all seriousness, let's take a moment here to discuss those flaps. Geoff and Heath poked some good fun at me when they first saw my ungainly Bont tri shoes and early on they thought the delta between them and my Simmons monocoque carbon fiber shoes would be quite large. Geoff thought there would be a 15 watt difference and was rather confident in his assertion. Heath thought that was overly optimistic but was quite confident in his guess of 8 watts. I was more conservative still guessing I'd see a 5 watt difference. In reality? Drumroll please.... 198 Aero Watts (Zero Yaw) 184 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw). Everyone was so slack-jawed that we actually took five minutes off from testing in the tunnel to compare photos of my positions between runs. As best as we could see, I was doing quite well when it came to the Mannequin Challenge.

The only position change I wanted to try was a Mantis position. Hallelujah a change in drag! 193 Aero Watts (0 yaw) 179 Aero Watts (-10 yaw)

Now let's try to emulate TJ Tollakson and run a bottle under the aero extensions. 198 Aero Watts (0 Yaw) 179 Aero Watts (-10 Yaw)

I did test the MORF bars on my Shiv against my Alpha X but I'm going to withhold the results for now until I can get the data to Frank. Even thought I tested his product on my time and my dime, it's his product so I'll let him handle the data accordingly. To those who have keen eyes, yes, the position is quite different from my Speed Concept. Also, to go back to my whole notion of "my position is comfortable" the position below was killing me! Seriously, it took a ton of concentration on each run for me to hold that position. One more note: I know the two photos below look a bit different but that's because one was at yaw and the other was not. I promise you, we went to great pains between each run to ensure that I was in as close to the same position as possible between the two bars.

Summary and Closing Thoughts
At the end of the day, I largely validated much of my recent field testing. Prior to going to A2, my Giro Aerohead consistently tested faster than every other helmet in my arsenal. Also, I had previously tested a mantis position and on several occasions found it to be considerably faster than having my arms titled ~10 degrees (I can't ride comfortably with my arms level) but also found no change on some occasions (hence the question mark in my mind). In previous field testing I had never seen any sort of consistent difference in clothing for myself. Turns out sleeves don't do much for me!

It turns out I'm one of those folks who is sort of equipment agnostic: changes in equipment just don't result in big changes for me. This isn't unprecedented. IIRC James Haycraft is sort of like this. That's ok though. I'm very happy I was able to validate my equipment selections for this season and all in all, I was able to find 8 watts between my baseline and my fastest configuration. I really enjoyed my time at A2 and found both Geoff and Heath to be very helpful. Feel free to ask me any questions below.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Mar 10, 17 6:02
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
upvote :)

RChung wrote:
Nice write-up.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Coggan,

I'm not GreenPlease but when I tested at A2 the tests were done at 30mph and pedaling. There are various ways to do pic over pic and/or in test projection to manage position changes.

due to some interesting results in the workflow, I repeated a few runs both at the beginning, mid-test, and then again at the end and the data came back very close. I'm not a scientist but to me that feels "repeatable". N=1 obviously.

Andrew Coggan wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btw did you use two different cleats , with the simons shoes it looks like walkalbens ones. at bond standard ones ?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Testing in the Field and in the Tunnel: My Trip to A2 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Dr. Coggan,

I'm not GreenPlease but when I tested at A2 the tests were done at 30mph and pedaling. There are various ways to do pic over pic and/or in test projection to manage position changes.

due to some interesting results in the workflow, I repeated a few runs both at the beginning, mid-test, and then again at the end and the data came back very close. I'm not a scientist but to me that feels "repeatable". N=1 obviously.

And in fact I have heard nothing but good things about the facility. Still would be nice to pin a number of "repeatable", though (especially if it included dismounting and remounting the bike as well as the cyclist, as A) that's what needs to be done to, e.g., compare wheels, and B) it's the worst-case scenario).
Quote Reply

Prev Next