Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Road suggestions for 70.3?
Quote | Reply
Hi all, new here. 5 year layoff from cycling, going to aim for a flat 70.3 in October. Sold Look road bike, need a new sled as right now I'm training on a Cannondale X-Cross with 32mm Michelins. I was contemplating doing the tweener thing with an aero road bike with a forward seat position, maybe an Adamo for scooting further forward, and clip-ons on the road bars. Certainly it's not ideal, but I have no road bike and am not yet interested in making a tri-bike my primary ride.

I'm down to the Cervelo S3, which I really am leaning towards, or the Felt AR3 or Specialized Venge. I'm thinking the S3 would do very well as an everyday road bike and have the capacity to do what I want also. Only down side is the 73* seatpost angle, makes getting over the pedals harder for a reasonable TT position. I rode a 74.5* road bike before but never tried to make it lower.

Any thoughts? I do know about the S5 2-position post, but as I understand it only makes it an effective zero setback vs. set forward. Previous bike fit with a setback of 20mm, seat about centered on rails.

Any feedback appreciated, or otherwise, thanks for at least considering some feedback.

I think I'm hoping to see about those of you that may have tried the same thing with any of those three bikes. I know they are all excellent, and any of them in the right size would be able to reach my fit coordinates for road geometry.

Thanks much!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Road suggestions for 70.3? [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you ideally want to do is select one of those bike and do a 2-in-1. Buy an extra seatpost, saddle and a set of clip ons. Find a fitter to dial in the road bike position on one saddle and post and TT on the other. The best clip ons for this purpose is Are the Redshift Aero System Clip Ons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BkAWiMOXEE I'm not a fan of the seat post thing but the clipons work well for this purpose. You can take it one step further even and go Di2 and then replace the entire front cockpit with TT bars, and an extra front brake.

Check out the 2014 Felt AR thread for an example bike.

Of your models I'd select the Felt ... I have the AR5 and absolutely love it. The others are great and the Giant Propel should probably get consideration too!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im not sure on the angles, but the Venge seatpost is reversible, so you can get a much more forward position on it just by flipping it around.

I've raced a tri or two on it with clips on and it faired okay.

Specialized just did a video in their wind tunnel where they compare the time savings of the Shiv over the Venge after setting them up in identical positions (or close to it) so it can be done.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Road suggestions for 70.3? [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched that video. Thanks. I guess that is a lot of time over 56 miles, but I will not be podium potential for several years. 2 minutes? I'm more impressed that the position could be duplicated on the Venge. Not sure about angles on that setup but I'm new at this aero thing. I was worried about moving too far forward on a road bike but then again some of the IM TX positions I saw looked like they were so far over the front wheel that one could make the same argument about those tri-bikes in an extreme forward position as a forward position on a road bike. I can likely get me aero and just write off the super slippery bike 2 minutes. I wonder how much slower a road bike without clip one would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Felt AR and a Felt IA4 ...

I've done the same course (pancake flat) under the same conditions (give or take) on both and I've found I'm about 2 minutes faster on a 20km TT on the IA. Being out of the wind and tucked on the aero road bike was good but the IA position and straight ahead speed just can't be matched. I'd also argue it's pretty tough to hold that position on the aero road bike for extended periods of time. Again if you're chasing podiums sure, it's 4mins over 40km for me uphill the odds would begin to narrow I presume but I haven't done that experiment yet.

Here is a photo of my TT position and of the setup on the two bikes as a comparison.

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: May 24, 15 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Road suggestions for 70.3? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great insights. What do you recon would make the same position (identical fit vs. BB) harder to maintain on the road bike? Twitchy? Clearly there's a reason the tri-bike came to be, I do get that. I imagine its handling for the uninitiated, but when I look how far forward Lionel Sanders was, I start to discount handling considerations at least somewhat. No doubt those minutes are important to some!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me (and many I believe) it comes down tot he effective seat tube angle. It's tough on the back for extended periods of time. I didn't reverse the post in this experiment and I didn't have clip-ons. For me it was a "realistic" comparison of my two setups. I think adding the clip-ons in mechanical is slower due to the shifting at the levers and not at the clip-ons. It's a small detail but getting into position, holding it is easier mentally than getting comfortable only to have to move to change gears.

Di2 removes this as you can just add remote shifters on the clip-ons and continue to shift from there. Also the straight ahead speed of a TT bike is unmatched. Specialty equipment will always triumph.

------
Last edited by: cshowe80: May 24, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong, but in a separate video I think they tested a road bike against a full tri set up and possibly an option or two inbetween.

If not it might have been an oldd steel road bike against a venge, but search the archives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emma'sDad wrote:
Hi all, new here. 5 year layoff from cycling, going to aim for a flat 70.3 in October. Sold Look road bike, need a new sled as right now I'm training on a Cannondale X-Cross with 32mm Michelins. I was contemplating doing the tweener thing with an aero road bike with a forward seat position, maybe an Adamo for scooting further forward, and clip-ons on the road bars.

Having tried lots of bikes in lots of different set ups, I can say that road bikes, when ridden in the forward position (forward seatpost, redshift post, or something similar), handle very poorly. Even more so on corners and descents. If you want a fast 'tweener' bike, get a tri bike and set it up like this. Lots of versatility, great on the hills, and still very very fast.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply